P1000 Odd dead battery issue

obas

obas

Jul 30, 2020
Pell City, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a 2018 Pioneer 1K3 new a couple months ago with the only electrical modification being I added a WARN Axon winch. Haven't even used the winch under load yet.

Packing up to head to Windrock this weekend and had a dead battery (10.78V). The ignition was off.

So i jumped it, verified it was charging (14V), drove a short distance, shut it off and would not restart.​
Verified the battery cables were secured​
Pulled battery cables and verified no shorts.​
Put on a charger and noticed it wasn't pulling a charge and battery voltage showed 12.5V while on the charger.​
Reconnected everything and starts right up.​

Almost seems like disconnecting then reconnecting the battery reset something.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any thoughts? A bit nervous about driving up to Windrock now.

Thanks,

Reactions: TxDoc
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Do you have a wireless winch remote installed? These can run your battery down if wired incorrectly.

obas

obas

Jul 30, 2020
Pell City, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No wireless remote installed. Going to monitor the voltage over the weekend and if i see going down will disconnect the winch.

Thanks for the replies!

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sometimes a battery will short itself out internally and just go bad
Sounds like you need a new battery

Reactions: Vikes79
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe the same guy in South Carolina assembled your's that put mine together. He has a weak wrist, I know that because 3 out of 4 grounds were so loose they were creating gremlins at every turn. Put a wrench on each ground and turn to tight. My worst ground wire got 2 full turns before the cable was snug, not yet tight. Battery should be changed. You will need to get a trickle charger or a battery disconnect to keep battery charged. My 2017 1000-3 has two lithium batteries mounted in the place of the original battery. 3 years and no issues. Don't let it sit longer than a week without charging or disconnecting battery. The electronics use power even when it is OFF. Experimented several times to come to that conclusion. Good luck. A new battery and a full 14.3V charge and you'll be ready for anything.

obas

obas

Jul 30, 2020
Pell City, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Interesting comments, thanks.

I put 100+ miles at Windrock with no problems so should have a good charge now if all grounds are tight.

I verified one ground near the starter was tight. This holiday weekend I am going to let it sit and see how much of a voltage drop happens over several days being off. Next week I am installing a switch plate and bilge blower so that will give me a chance to find the rest of the ground connections.

Also, I bought the 2018 new a couple of months ago so maybe sitting in a warehouse two years damaged the battery.

Thanks for advice!

Reactions: TripleB