futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Just a quick thought:

Been surprised lately (having never paid a bit of attention before ;)) to the amount of add-ons to the Talon to make it 'trail ready'. I realize this means different things to different people.
Coming from a history of P5s (a dinky economy utility machine) that I somehow became convinced could be a trail machine, I realize it takes a few (up to several) thousand $$ to convert it to a "trail" machine. It seems that it takes that or even more for the Talon (a Sport/Trail machine). I'm not bashing, but I am a bit bemused.
Seems the P1K may take less dinero to make ready for the mountains.

And maybe that's just it; the Talon is supposed to be a bomber. The P1K can be whatever maybe.

Anyhow, not meaning to be demeaning. But wow, lots of cash to make a sport machine ready for trails. As much or more than for a utility machine, unless I'm missing something. Is it to go faster, mainly?

Obviously, I'm not a target customer! ;)

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I'm sure all manufacturers Sport machines need tweaking, it just seems odd to me that they may need as much money spent on them as a utility machine to go ride the trails.

I guess the point is that they do it faster and possibly more comfortably.

Rock on . . .

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Just a quick thought:

Been surprised lately (having never paid a bit of attention before ;)) to the amount of add-ons to the Talon to make it 'trail ready'. I realize this means different things to different people.
Coming from a history of P5s (a dinky economy utility machine) that I somehow became convinced could be a trail machine, I realize it takes a few (up to several) thousand $$ to convert it to a "trail" machine. It seems that it takes that or even more for the Talon (a Sport/Trail machine). I'm not bashing, but I am a bit bemused.

And maybe that's just it; the Talon is supposed to be a bomber. The P1K can be whatever maybe.

Anyhow, not meaning to be demeaning. But wow, lots of cash to make a sport machine ready for trails. As much or more than for a utility machine, unless I'm missing something. Is it to go faster, mainly?

I was just thinking the same thing…I basically just hammered most of the dents outta my mostly stock wrecked talon and drug it over a lot of rocks and timber a few months ago. I’m surprised the factory skid plastic thing wasn’t ripped off…it’s definitely better than the pioneer. IMO the talon is trail ready outta the box….I see a lot of customization being passed as necessity, but it’s just preference I’d argue…or at least the story told to the spouse lol.

It’s only money I guess.

But I do agree a p1k with a skid plate only will go and go and go etc.

Last edited:
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm sure all manufacturers Sport machines need tweaking, it just seems odd to me that they may need as much money spent on them as a utility machine to go ride the trails.

I guess the point is that they do it faster and possibly more comfortably.

Rock on . . .

Just depends on how much offroad you wnat to experience

I know guys who've taken them out of our parking lot and straight into the woods

Then some think they need to turn it into a Pioneer before they can take their Talon anyway other than the garage.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just closed my eyes and wrote checks when setting up my Talon. I had cut corners for my entire 50 year off road motorcycling career and decided that I can't take it with me. Trail Armor skid :oops:, winch, rear radius rods, beadlocks, quick disc. sway bar links, bed extender/spare carrier :eek:, storage box, recovery gear, under hood storage, fender extenders and a bunch of little crap - it doesn't take long to spend too much.

And I didn't do nearly as much as many here have done.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X

4. Talon R

5. Talon R LV
I feel it boils down to what floats your boat and how fail proof you want your machine to be? I prefer to run at a good clip on the trails, rip up a hillside or drop off a ledge. There are only so many things that can be done to a P5 or P700. There's a lot more available to make a P1K handle better and go faster safer, but the limitation to those machines is its core design, yet Triple B can do anything everyone else does? A Talon is more capable than a P1K with less sketch and can be fine tuned to go from a very capable machine to something more reliable, stable and quicker. I realize this isn't everyone's thing, but considering the amount of products available for the P1K platform and Talon, one could deduct there's much more interest and demand for modding these machines. I've ridden an older Kawasaki Mule 2510 and 3010, a Kubota RTV-X1120 Offroad, and Windsock in a Kubota Sidekick and had fun doing so. I moved up to a P1K-5 and had a blast, but after studying the Talon platform, here I am. I still have my Pioneer and hope to take it off-roading soon. I get my affliction from years of riding motorcycles off road and racing GNCC. First, you need to finish and 2nd place is always the first place loser. Party on Garth

521b68bc 5d7f 4496 9c0d 983127b6ee5d text

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just a quick thought:

Like others have said, it depends on what kind of trail you want to go on? You going to tackle rough trails at Moab? Or you just going to do easier trails? I took my Talon out of the box and started enjoying it on easy trails and had a blast. Later on as I used it, I figured out a few things I would like to have to make the ride more enjoyable and as extra money came available. Added a front windshield and back window. Then a few other things over time.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I have way less aftermarket money in the Talon than in the P1K, so far... skid plate, stereo, windshield, seem standard regardless of the machine. Really the only Talon specific mod is the intake pre filter, but you can do that for the others also. You do know we are all just trying to make it as capable as the 500/520.

advertisement
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just a quick thought:

to each their own - we all just wanna ride - everyone spends their money different so all good

I have very little $$ into my talon other than suspension - what I do have for the most part is built/not bought, and just carry a small Dewalt tool bag with the basics for a trailside repair and just go ride,

my only advice for anyone owning\buying a 'pre 24 machine - spring for the suspension retune if it wasn't already addressed as the first/#1 thing to throw money at...winches/whip lites/3 batteries cant make it comfortable - lol....

advertisement