P1000 Not me but...

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Don't know who this cat is, but I like his style!

With all this talk of the talon, do you all think it's possible to swap some parts from it to the pioneer to possible get it up to the 90hp area? I know there has been some Africa twin swapping in the past. With all these new additional parts from the talon, has my gears turning. Would I have the budget to tackle this? Of course not... but just thinking it would be cool to see.

Reactions: sharp
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't know who this cat is, but I like his style!

With all this talk of the talon, do you all think it's possible to swap some parts from it to the pioneer to possible get it up to the 90hp area? I know there has been some Africa twin swapping in the past. With all these new additional parts from the talon, has my gears turning. Would I have the budget to tackle this? Of course not... but just thinking it would be cool to see.

I would guess if someone was inclined they could drop the coin to get the Talon's full 104hp into the Pioneer. Personally I wouldn't, but I'd watch the build thread for sure.

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
I would guess if someone was inclined they could drop the coin to get the Talon's full 104hp into the Pioneer. Personally I wouldn't, but I'd watch the build thread for sure.

I know right... @JeremieBaker Wouldn't that be one wicked pioneer? I imagine once they unlock the ecm, a intake, programmer, and exhaust will bump the talon to atleast 108hp lol Because we all know how Honda is.

Only time will tell. I sure would like to see a 104hp pioneer blow through a mud hole or whip a donut like that!

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@snuffnwhiskey did a lot of the Africa twin upgrades on his pioneer. I don’t know what his ending HP numbers were, but this has already been done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know right... @JeremieBaker Wouldn't that be one wicked pioneer? I imagine once they unlock the ecm, a intake, programmer, and exhaust will bump the talon to atleast 108hp lol Because we all know how Honda is.

Only time will tell. I sure would like to see a 104hp pioneer blow through a mud hole or whip a donut like that!

I'm a mere 28-ish hp P500 rider so I probably couldn't handle the stock P1k power. lol

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
I'm a mere 28-ish hp P500 rider so I probably couldn't handle the stock P1k power. lol

Yeah I've spoke with @snuffnwhisky several times regarding his upgrades @nbomar and if anybody is inclined...

There are now additional items the talon brings to the table the Africa twin didn't offer. Do I know what these items are or care to dig... Heck no. I'll just go out and ride instead. I enjoy my stock power. With a little exhaust mod and a snorkel it sounds and acts like it picked up 1 hp from my butt in seat dyno. I'm just fine with that. Watching all these reviews on the talon I would seriously injure myself if I could go any faster than my pioneer runs now. Do I want a talon? F*** yeah I do! I already have a hard enough time getting my wife to ride as it is. If she had a handle bar a helmet and a four point harness that may would change, but I seriously doubt it. I better hang on to my pioneer for awhile and just see if any upgrades are figured out or become available. If there was a simple cam swap and exhaust sort of like the hrc kit for the old trx450r. This would maybe allow for us pioneer guys to pick up a few ponies while still maintaining reliability, and I'm all down for that. No need for a talon then and there goes that argument with her of why I need one. lol

Oh and maybe with this talon, it will lead to a stronger oem or aftermarket clutch pack. That alone would benefit us pioneer guys if all these parts interchange.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Talon cam is just a touch bigger than the Africa cam. Africa cam killed so much bottom end it wouldn't hardly pull up a steep hill in 4 lock and 30's. I had to get the IGR back in to get some bottom end back. The Talon head has different ports so hopefully it picked up some bottom end with that change. It will be interesting to see how the Talon does with big tires, beadlocks & accessories. I'm sure it will be better with less weight and the I4WD should free up a little power over 4 lock. The top end is the only real changes and looks to be mostly swapable but a small turbo might be cheaper and more bang for the buck for the pioneer. Clutches appear to be the same. I was barely able to get a 5th friction in my packs machining off all I could. Not much room to work in there without some pretty custom parts made. No access to the computer that I know of to go changing oil pressure to the clutch without codes.