JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think the motor is fuel injected? Is there any reason to run it? I keep it in my garage cans for my mower, blower and weed eater.
It is fuel injection, you can run whatever you want. If you're storing it for long periods of time the non ethanol will be nicer to the fuel system vs ethanol mix, or use an addictive otherwise just fuel up and run it 🤷‍♂️. I've always ran 87 'cept maybe cpl of times had to run 93 because was the only available. Unless you also have a tune requiring high octane 87 is just fine

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it sits a lot, then yes you should use non oxygen for the reasons @JenElio mentioned . If you run it a lot then no.

That being said mine gets non oxy because I have so many other things around that require it and then its only one type of gas to have around.

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
It is fuel injection, you can run whatever you want. If you're storing it for long periods of time the non ethanol will be nicer to the fuel system vs ethanol mix, or use an addictive otherwise just fuel up and run it 🤷‍♂️. I've always ran 87 'cept maybe cpl of times had to run 93 because was the only available. Unless you also have a tune requiring high octane 87 is just fine
agree - I have a 30 year old king quad - carbureted - owned it 4 years, use it and put all of 300 miles on it in 4 years, all I ever dumped in it was run of the mill mini mart gas every now and then - I would say the majority of the fuel is 'old", doesn't give me any bulls*** - starts up every time I hit the button with choke on.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use Marine Stabil in the 5 gal. cans before filling them up and don't worry much - but always buy 88 octane out of habit.
It sometimes sits for over 2 years before use and I've not had a problem.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I tracked a 2008 Shelby GT500. Purchased the vehicle new and immediately replaced the suspension, brakes, supercharger, changed gearing, added long tube headers and exhaust and installed a tune along with other mods. Purchased in December and ran my first track day mid April. The car ran amazing. I spent the following track events sorting issues and dialing it in. As the year progressed the temperatures increased and the car started to heat soak causing the engine to dial timing out. I replaced the radiator and intercooler radiators with triple pass radiators with no positive conclusion. I eventually called Ford Racing and was told ethanol fuel was my issue. It seems that alcohol burns at a higher BTU than gasoline. I was also told that ethanol in a tank tends to separate from the fuel and it's common to find ethanol based fuels with up to 60% ethanol. These fuels also have a shelf life of 6 weeks, and if fresh fuel is dumped into a tank with existing fuel, the quality diminishes instantly. The next track day I filled the car with non ethanol and packed non ethanol to the track. It was hot this weekend, yet the car ran cool and strong. Who would have thought? I run non ethanol in everything unless not available. It also attacks plastics, rubber and tends to varnish fuel components which over time changes your fuel mixture causing lean run issues. I was also told that it increases carbon deposits on the cylinder heads. I'm a definite believer

BlacktopBurner

BlacktopBurner

Judge Of Others
Lifetime Member
May 21, 2024
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tracked a 2008 Shelby GT500. Purchased the vehicle new and immediately replaced the suspension, brakes, supercharger, changed gearing, added long tube headers and exhaust and installed a tune along with other mods. Purchased in December and ran my first track day mid April. The car ran amazing. I spent the following track events sorting issues and dialing it in. As the year progressed the temperatures increased and the car started to heat soak causing the engine to dial timing out. I replaced the radiator and intercooler radiators with triple pass radiators with no positive conclusion. I eventually called Ford Racing and was told ethanol fuel was my issue. It seems that alcohol burns at a higher BTU than gasoline. I was also told that ethanol in a tank tends to separate from the fuel and it's common to find ethanol based fuels with up to 60% ethanol. These fuels also have a shelf life of 6 weeks, and if fresh fuel is dumped into a tank with existing fuel, the quality diminishes instantly. The next track day I filled the car with non ethanol and packed non ethanol to the track. It was hot this weekend, yet the car ran cool and strong. Who would have thought? I run non ethanol in everything unless not available. It also attacks plastics, rubber and tends to varnish fuel components which over time changes your fuel mixture causing lean run issues. I was also told that it increases carbon deposits on the cylinder heads. I'm a definite believer
And just like that…I’m convinced to use it. It’s a shame it costs more than standard gas, is the ethanol an additive? Round here it’s called Marine gas.

Last edited:
advertisement