P1000 Noise after first oil change

H

HondaTech

Valves seem to get noisy after the first oil change. There fine until you get clean oil in then they drive you nuts. These units have the crf style unicam. So they shouldnt need adjustment as often, I think the interval is 3600 miles?
@Hondasxs filters come out w/o draining the oil. Youll loose a little bit of oil, as alway but no need to pull the drain plugs. But the the smaller one only needs changed every 2 engine oil changes I believe. I'm not around a service manual to check. I believe Honda Has done their homework on this one, I can't wait to see this engine opened up to something bigger or possibly an atv.

Reactions: joeymt33
A

Alex

Nov 27, 2015
The oil filter bypass is in the oil filter bolt. The spring just holds the filter lined up with the holes in the bolt. There is a flat washer that goes between the filter and spring that a lot of mechanics leave on the old filter.
I have a dead big red that got noisy and lost compression, so I will be paying close attention to mine. I should be changing oil in about a week.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The oil filter bypass is in the oil filter bolt. The spring just holds the filter lined up with the holes in the bolt. There is a flat washer that goes between the filter and spring that a lot of mechanics leave on the old filter.
I have a dead big red that got noisy and lost compression, so I will be paying close attention to mine. I should be changing oil in about a week.

What oil filter bolt?

H

HondaTech

These don't have the big center bolt. The engine oil filter is just a larger version of Hondas atv filter. Should be an HP7, looks like a larger version of the HM5.

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
Had first oil change a few weeks ago and there is a noise ever since it was completed. It sounds kinda like a ticking noise. Only does it once it's warmed up and not accelerating. Sounds like it's coming from where the oil filters are located. It almost goes away when I push on the plastic muffler cover...not sure if this is because it decreases engine vibration kinda like when accelerating. I was told I didn't need to check/adjust valves bc my engine was not noisy (according to the service manual). Don't want to be one of those people who blame something on someone else after a service but I know for sure it wasn't making this noise before having it serviced. I oiled all the bushings thinking it could have been something there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If you HAD your first maintenance done, I'd insist that the service tech pull the valve covers and actually check the valve clearances. Just going by the sound can be misleading. They may have been close to out-of-spec and the new oil, being cleaner, let them start being heard. The break-in oil surely was pretty dirty and thicker than fresh oil.

I was told that the first 100 mile maintenance included a valve adjustment. If it's "included" - I want it done. No guessing, thank you.

Reactions: allgm1
H

HondaTech

The sub trans oil is supposed to get changed at the 1st service, then every
2 years.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My owners manual says that the sub transmission oil gets changed every two years. It does not say it needs to be changed at the initial service. Am I missing something?

E525e387bfeb71f74accad9ffba36a3c

Reactions: Scooterchris
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
My owners manual says that the sub transmission oil gets changed every two years. It does not say it needs to be changed at the initial service. Am I missing something?

E525e387bfeb71f74accad9ffba36a3c
What does it say on page 150

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How to change it

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'll check to make sure.

What's weird?

H

HondaTech

My mistake your suppose to change the DCT filter only.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I'll check to make sure.

What's weird?
Whats weird is the honda guy said at my local honda. Your suppose to change the fluid. I questioned him and he said no. Your suppose to change it at the first one

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I gotcha, I did change my filter at the first oil change. It only takes 1.3 qts. Wouldn't hurt to change it anyway.

For clarification, I did change the DCT filter when changing engine oil and filter.

The subtrans takes 1.3 qts and wouldn't hurt to change it too.

Last edited:
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I gotcha, I did change my filter at the first oil change. It only takes 1.3 qts. Wouldn't hurt to change it anyway.
Tru. I was just looking at my bill they got me for 9 quarts. Looking at the manual it takes total for those to i believe what inread yesterday it said about 7 quarts. What gives

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sub trans and engine like change should be like ~7.5 qts total. Maybe they spilled some?

Reactions: Scooterchris