P1000 Noise after first oil change

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
Had first oil change a few weeks ago and there is a noise ever since it was completed. It sounds kinda like a ticking noise. Only does it once it's warmed up and not accelerating. Sounds like it's coming from where the oil filters are located. It almost goes away when I push on the plastic muffler cover...not sure if this is because it decreases engine vibration kinda like when accelerating. I was told I didn't need to check/adjust valves bc my engine was not noisy (according to the service manual). Don't want to be one of those people who blame something on someone else after a service but I know for sure it wasn't making this noise before having it serviced. I oiled all the bushings thinking it could have been something there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
Here is a video...not sure if you can make out the sound too well.

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
huh? what was the title to your post?
Did you not read the title? I was just giving as much info as I could so hopefully someone could give me some input. I wrote that about the valves in case someone asked if they were adjusted with the first service/oil change...

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just performed my first oil change and have not had any new noises.

Do you know what weight of oil was used? Is the oil level at the proper height?

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
I have no idea about what oil since the dealer changed it. I checked level and it seems ok.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have the dealer figure it out, it's under warranty

Carl427

Carl427

Dec 21, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Ive changed my own oil on my pk5 and i can tell you that there is a loose spring inside both the oil filter and transmission oil filter. the spring needs to Be properly placed inside the new filter during the oil change everytime. I am assuming it may have something to do with that. Now a days everyone is hiring dummies to do this kind of work. Better to do it on your own.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ive changed my own oil on my pk5 and i can tell you that there is a loose spring inside both the oil filter and transmission oil filter. the spring needs to Be properly placed inside the new filter during the oil change everytime. I am assuming it may have something to do with that. Now a days everyone is hiring dummies to do this kind of work. Better to do it on your own.

Are those springs for the oil bypass? I think they are. If the filter gets clogged, the oil pressure will compress the spring and let oil flow to the engine. It would be unfiltered oil but it better than no oil.

With that said, if true, leaving one of them out or too compressed wouldn't cause a ticking sound. Unless, they put the spring on the other side of the filter and it went into the engine!

advertisement
H

HondaTech

The Springs push the filter rubbers tight so they seal, without them the filters just float around the housing. I'd say more than likely they might have left something else loose while servicing your unit.

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
The Springs push the filter rubbers tight so they seal, without them the filters just float around the housing. I'd say more than likely they might have left something else loose while servicing your unit.
Another reason why I'm hesitant to take back to the dealer.....who knows if they will screw anything else up!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

It seems like everything I read points toward this spring being a safety mechanism to prevent over-pressurization. I bet we are both right, the spring keeps the filter seated until there is an over pressure situation.

If Honda wanted to make the filter stay seated, wouldn't they just make the cover push against it? I'm sure they are capable of getting those tolerances correct in the manufacturing.

Also, I think Honda is smart enough to build in an over pressure system like pretty much all vehicles have. In the event of a oil filter clog, this would save the engine.

I'M NOT 100% on this but fairly sure. Maybe someone can help clear this up for me at least.

One more thing, I looked into this awhile back when I put seafoam in an old '67 ford and the filter clogged completely. The engine maintained perfect oil pressure with it clogged. I had to change the filter 3 times with in 100 miles to get all the crap out that the seafoam broke loose.

Joe

Reactions: DGann
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@HondaTech, Do you know if the filters can be removed without draining the oil?

Reactions: Carl427
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Had first oil change a few weeks ago and there is a noise ever since it was completed. It sounds kinda like a ticking noise. Only does it once it's warmed up and not accelerating. Sounds like it's coming from where the oil filters are located. It almost goes away when I push on the plastic muffler cover...not sure if this is because it decreases engine vibration kinda like when accelerating. I was told I didn't need to check/adjust valves bc my engine was not noisy (according to the service manual). Don't want to be one of those people who blame something on someone else after a service but I know for sure it wasn't making this noise before having it serviced. I oiled all the bushings thinking it could have been something there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Wilson i too have a noise coming from the engine every once and a while. But... Mine started just before the first oil change and still does it now after the oil change was done. Im pretty sure its the valves needing adjusting

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
doesn't it make sense to just check the valves, knowing that its recommended by Honda, if nothing else comes from it then at least the valves being loose and making noise would be eliminated.

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
doesn't it make sense to just check the valves, knowing that its recommended by Honda, if nothing else comes from it then at least the valves being loose and making noise would be eliminated.
I felt the same way.....then the service manager brought the service book out to show me it was only recommended if engine was noisy (not sure how you would determine if it was being noisy). He was talking about how much work and hours it required. At that point I didn't feel very comfortable with them actually checking/adjusting the valves....

Reactions: joeymt33
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I wouldn't bring mine back to the dealership unless something failed that I didn't want to pay for, so if you don't feel comfortable with them doing it looks like its time to warm up your garage, sounds like you have your day planned lol.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I felt the same way.....then the service manager brought the service book out to show me it was only recommended if engine was noisy (not sure how you would determine if it was being noisy). He was talking about how much work and hours it required. At that point I didn't feel very comfortable with them actually checking/adjusting the valves....
Yeah my dealership is brand new and haven't actually done a service on a 1000 yet. It was ridiculous they didn't even know what had to be changed. I had to end up telling them. And then when they were done they ended changing my sub transmissions oil even tho the Manual says every 2 years. I doubt I'll take it back to them.

Reactions: Hondasxs
advertisement