S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Gents,

I just picked up my 2020 1000-5D in “Silver Metallic”. Which really means dark grey metallic. A couple questions and comments. 1) I searched for engine break-in with no results. Is there a break-in schedule or just drive? 2) The actual shift mechanism works hard in 4x4 for going between N-R-H. Is this normal? I see people talk about “shifting hard” but I assumed that was between gears in the transmission not the actual shifting mechanism on the dash (?) 3) Ive got more body roll than I like (30-40mph) is there any way to firm up the suspension? (4) In order to add pictures I first need to upload to a URL? I can’t do this directly to this forum??

Looking forward to being part of the Pioneer Team!

steve

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gents,

I just picked up my 2020 1000-5D in “Silver Metallic”. Which really means dark grey metallic. A couple questions and comments. 1) I searched for engine break-in with no results. Is there a break-in schedule or just drive? 2) The actual shift mechanism works hard in 4x4 for going between N-R-H. Is this normal? I see people talk about “shifting hard” but I assumed that was between gears in the transmission not the actual shifting mechanism on the dash (?) 3) Ive got more body roll than I like (30-40mph) is there any way to firm up the suspension? (4) In order to add pictures I first need to upload to a URL? I can’t do this directly to this forum??

steve
I know with the factory bighorn people were running around 18 psi to help the roll. Personally I'd just drive it hard and change the oil at 100 miles. Everything will loosen a bit with use and fit like a glove around 500 miles.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
Gents,

steve
Change the settings on the shocks, this may help with some of the body roll. I would just put some miles on the machine before doing any shifter adjustments. If you start having problems with it not shifting in &out of I4wd,2WD and Turf mode then you may need to adjust it slightly. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Change the settings on the shocks, this may help with some of the body roll. I would just put some miles on the machine before doing any shifter adjustments. If you start having problems with it not shifting in &out of I4wd,2WD and Turf mode then you may need to adjust it slightly. Welcome to the forum.
It's a deluxe. Not an l.e. no shock adjustment.

R

rickoshea

mine was the same.get a few miles into it and it will loosen up.i "drove it like i stole it" from day one,no issues.as for the roll,i'm just used to it now.i ease up on the happy pedal in hard corners,and remind myself it's not a truck.

K

kev_p100_5

Sep 11, 2018
quebec
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gents,

steve

If it's anything like mine...and since most everything is pysically connected via cable, things will strech & settle - and there's posts here on how to adjust most anything. Particularly the shifter itself (from High to Low in particular, used to be a stuggle when mine was new) as well as getting in & out of turf mode, another adjustment behind & below the driver's seat. After all of these things 'break-in' & adjustments done, you should be just fine. On the plus side, there aren't much in the way of electronics, switches, sensors etc. that'll go bad (...cough...polaris)

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I like the advice to not do any changes till I've got a few hundred miles on it. I have a whopping 15 now. The skid plates are supposed to show today after that I will shift the buggy from the neighborhood over to my Rancho. Im coming from a 2009 Polaris Rangeer without power steering or really any other convenience. It is quite step up in driver features. My wife is enjoying it too!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gents,

steve
The service guy that walked me through my Pioneer said to drive it and use it but not to hammer down on it for the first tank of gas. Welcome to the forum.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
mine was the same.get a few miles into it and it will loosen up.i "drove it like i stole it" from day one,no issues.as for the roll,i'm just used to it now.i ease up on the happy pedal in hard corners,and remind myself it's not a truck.

That is how I break my new engines in, do a few on and off throttle cycle everyone getting a little higher until I hit red line then use it!
the worst thing you can do for a new motor is idle it around like a new baby.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can see how a lot of these questions pop up to the new owners. I had a real nice 700 traded for the 1000. First ride I'm not gonna lie, I had buyers remorse in my mind. But once it loosened up it became absolutely great. At 4000 miles now and it still gets better!

Reactions: Landman and Mudwing
advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the advice to not do any changes till I've got a few hundred miles on it. I have a whopping 15 now. The skid plates are supposed to show today after that I will shift the buggy from the neighborhood over to my Rancho. Im coming from a 2009 Polaris Rangeer without power steering or really any other convenience. It is quite step up in driver features. My wife is enjoying it too!
Drive it like you normally will. But yeah dont baby it.

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can see how a lot of these questions pop up to the new owners. I had a real nice 700 traded for the 1000. First ride I'm not gonna lie, I had buyers remorse in my mind. But once it loosened up it became absolutely great. At 4000 miles now and it still gets better!
Same here. Almost hated it at first.. After some mods and miles, I have ZERO complaints. It gets better with age! What other brand can say that!?