P1000 New here, need some help finding a good post about dual batteries

81toyota

Oct 15, 2016
Harnett County, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I understand the concept of having dual batteries but I have searched now for 3 days and have yet to find what Im looking for. Ive found some things pretty close but can someone point me in the direction of the things I will need for a dual battery setup as well as a good write up on how to actually do the install. I just got my 1000 last week and Im not a very electrical person. I do want to add a few lights, radio and winch so that is the biggest reason for wanting the dual battery setup. I like how @cumminspushers setup works based on what Ive read but still even after searching really have no idea on what to buy and how to wire it all up as there are so many different ways to do it.

Reactions: Jait25
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome to the club. I sent you a message.

We have yet to get an independent "How-To" of a dual battery setup. This is something I would like to someone build. But it will need to be very detailed.

what parts do you have so far?
JUST talking about the dual battery install, the most common are
It gets more complicated if you want control over which battery is being used with an Isolator Switch http://amzn.to/2emeze4

I say don't confuse it and try to do all the accessory switches at the same time. Get the battery setup working then work on the relays. Take your time and plan it out.

I'll hunt some links here in a few.

81toyota

Oct 15, 2016
Harnett County, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you, I didn't know if it was me or not about finding a good detailed guide on how to do it. I have the odyssey battery already but am searching for dual battery kits like the ones you have linked above

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
  • Positive (battery #1) through TRUE switch, Out other side to Positive (battery #2)
  • Negative from (battery #2) to frame (solid ground)
  • Small black wire from TRUE to negative (battery #2)
  • Done.
Image is from @joeymt33's install. P1000m5 - Traveller II
Joeymt33

Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Delton also has a good write up - check out his "painfully slow build" post. He did the battery stuff near the beginning of the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hondasxs
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've run into this issue many times on all of the 4 x 4 forums I am on for trucks.

I've written a few "how to" threads on it, and in my opinion, without stepping on anyone's toes, the industry has made this far more complicated than it needs to be :)

Batteries of the same exact type, isolators, blah blah blah, you've heard it and read it 1 million times.

Every single truck I have owned I have done a dual battery set up and I've done it for 150 bucks.

If you want to do an in cab set up, expect on getting some longer lengths of battery cable which can run you around 250. That's for a regular truck now. For a UTV it will be a cakewalk.

Because my last truck was a diesel Duramax it already has dual batteries so it's the only one I didn't have to do it on.

Go down to any marine store and buy a dual battery switch. Or Amazon. $25-$50

It has battery one, battery two, both, or off. Install your second battery and wire accordingly which is very very easy. One battery goes to the in, other battery goes to the in and there's one output.

Put the switch under the hood and alternate batteries every couple weeks to keep them charged and ready to go.

When you need extra juice like winching or something, put the switch in both and get the power of two batteries.

If you really want to go fancy, put the switch inside your truck and cut out a hole and mount it on your dash to look really cool!

That's it all done. Buy the switch, by the battery, buy some terminals and battery cable and I have yet to have one of those systems ever fail and they are bulletproof!!

Last edited:
quickfish

quickfish

Sep 14, 2016
Kent, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just kept it simple bought and marine battery switch, ran all the ignition stuff to battery 1 position on the switch and ran a 6 gauge wire to battery 1, than ran a 6 gauge wire to battery 2. put in a power bus station and tied it into battery 2 and ran all the accessory's off the power station off battery 2, including the winch. put on battery tender on battery 1 and when it's plugged in I have the switch set to 1 & 2 battery's so they both charge. If I'm parked in the woods hunting I turn the battery's off that way your average person can't just hot wire it etc... ran the ground lead from battery 2 to battery 1. The stock battery fits perfect into that hole that honda put under the dash, just melted a hole trough the plastic for a strap and cut out some density foam for the battery to rest on.

Reactions: JTW