P1000 My Saga Continues...

ibleedjohndeeregreen

ibleedjohndeeregreen

Jun 21, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have done the cable adjustment. Do you know where all the grounds are?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have done the cable adjustment. Do you know where all the grounds are?

I haven't looked them up yet. Again, I'm pretty sure someone on here has documented them. Im currently doing the first oil change, etc. I have the skid plates off, and will install the Trail Armor skids after I'm done.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to have to take a look at mine, and the manual, I didn't realize that there was an indicator for turf mode. Mine just shows the 2 rear wheels blacked out, and eventually all 4 when shifted into 4, but slow to show that. I ride mostly in turf mode.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
I'm going to have to take a look at mine, and the manual, I didn't realize that there was an indicator for turf mode. Mine just shows the 2 rear wheels blacked out,

The two blacked out wheels are the indicator for turf mode. It will say 2wd locked under that when turf mode is disengaged and the rear is locked.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Some of you have read and replied to my comment about having issues with my P1000-5D on my first ride. For those that haven't read it, this is the problem.

After finally taking delivery of my machine (it was "quarantined" by the Stop Sale for a week) on April 9, I took it out on April 10. I found that when placing the drive mode in either 4WD Diff Lock or Turf that the display indicators were intermittent. Sometimes the indicators would work, sometimes not. I tried a variety of different things. None helped. 2WD and 4WD indicators didn't have an issue.

I figured that since I shelled out a heck-of-a-lot of money for this thing it was up to the dealer to fix it. I took it in on April 13. I pretty much called every day for status starting on the 15th. They told me they were working on it, that the machine was actually going into those modes but they couldn't get the indicators to work. We discussed the Diff Lock cable adjustment, grounds, etc. They told me that a Honda rep was in town and had given them some guidance on things to check and do... blah, blah, blah. They also told me that they had been working with Honda to fix the issue.

They called me yesterday, April 28 - 15 days after I took it in, and said they were stumped, that they would continue working the problem, and that if I wanted to I could pick up the machine and take it out over the weekend. (insert your choice of sarcastic reply here) I actually contemplated doing that and seeing if I could fix it myself, but I was calm enough to not let them off the hook. I declined that offer and informed the service manager that I would be calling customer service to put pressure on Honda to work with them to fix this problem. He thought that was a great idea because he felt they weren't giving him the information he needed to remedy the issue.

The customer service person was very interested in this. He took all the necessary information and then put me on hold for a couple minutes to do some research. According to him, the dealership had not contacted Honda technical personnel at all about this problem. Imagine that. He assigned a case manager who will be contacting the dealer and myself within 1 to 2 business days.

I feel better now that Honda is in the loop, but the irritation factor is growing. I put $500 down on this machine on March 26. I went to pick it up on April 2 but was denied due to the Stop Sale. (I called Honda customer service on this, also, as the dealer kept telling me that Honda wasn't giving them any advice). I picked the machine up on April 9 - with a large down payment, and took it back to them on the April 13. So, in the 34 days since I put money down I have had the machine in my possession for 4 days. My first payment is due in 10 days. This coming weekend will be the third decent weekend in a row for riding that I won't have the machine. Grrr...

I've owned Honda's for the last 12 years and love them, and I'm confident Honda will make this right.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Did you ever get this fixed?

Mine is doing the same thing after they adjusted the cables to spec. Now the display shows nothing on the mode just the vehicle outline.

Everything else is fine, just no mode select. I checked and it goes into the selected modes much faster than it did before but nothing ever shows up. The dealer kept it overnight and claimed they fixed it but when I got it home, it doesn't show the mode.

The tech said that I needed to put it in park and rock it and it worked for him but I really think it is a loose electrical connection somewhere but I am not sure where.

Thought maybe you had figured it out.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you ever get this fixed?

Mine is doing the same thing after they adjusted the cables to spec. Now the display shows nothing on the mode just the vehicle outline.

Everything else is fine, just no mode select. I checked and it goes into the selected modes much faster than it did before but nothing ever shows up. The dealer kept it overnight and claimed they fixed it but when I got it home, it doesn't show the mode.

The tech said that I needed to put it in park and rock it and it worked for him but I really think it is a loose electrical connection somewhere but I am not sure where.

Thought maybe you had figured it out.

No, and yes. I did the Drive Mode Alignment myself, which seemed to help a little. I tested all the modes and they were working correctly. I decided that I didn't want to have it in the shop all summer so I would just drive and enjoy it until the winter when I wouldn't be using it as much and take it back to the shop then. Well, the more I drove it, the better it got. All the modes now display correctly except the AT/MT. It says I'm in both no matter what I'm doing. I can put it in manual and drive it that way and it works perfectly, but the display still will have both the AT and MT lit. My driving style for most things is in auto, and I manually paddle shift when I need to. There's not too many times that I'm strictly driving in manual.

One thing I do notice is that when I change modes it sometimes takes longer for the display to change. Other's have said their machine does this too, but they never had any issue with the display being incorrect.

I'm definitely not going to let Honda off the hook. I'd suggest keep driving it, changing modes when needed, etc. and see if it will start to show the correct display. If it doesn't, definitely make Honda fix it when you know you'll have some time to be without it.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with that totally. For the money we paid for these things, it'd better function right. Rocking it while in Park is unacceptable.