AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some of you have read and replied to my comment about having issues with my P1000-5D on my first ride. For those that haven't read it, this is the problem.

After finally taking delivery of my machine (it was "quarantined" by the Stop Sale for a week) on April 9, I took it out on April 10. I found that when placing the drive mode in either 4WD Diff Lock or Turf that the display indicators were intermittent. Sometimes the indicators would work, sometimes not. I tried a variety of different things. None helped. 2WD and 4WD indicators didn't have an issue.

I figured that since I shelled out a heck-of-a-lot of money for this thing it was up to the dealer to fix it. I took it in on April 13. I pretty much called every day for status starting on the 15th. They told me they were working on it, that the machine was actually going into those modes but they couldn't get the indicators to work. We discussed the Diff Lock cable adjustment, grounds, etc. They told me that a Honda rep was in town and had given them some guidance on things to check and do... blah, blah, blah. They also told me that they had been working with Honda to fix the issue.

They called me yesterday, April 28 - 15 days after I took it in, and said they were stumped, that they would continue working the problem, and that if I wanted to I could pick up the machine and take it out over the weekend. (insert your choice of sarcastic reply here) I actually contemplated doing that and seeing if I could fix it myself, but I was calm enough to not let them off the hook. I declined that offer and informed the service manager that I would be calling customer service to put pressure on Honda to work with them to fix this problem. He thought that was a great idea because he felt they weren't giving him the information he needed to remedy the issue.

The customer service person was very interested in this. He took all the necessary information and then put me on hold for a couple minutes to do some research. According to him, the dealership had not contacted Honda technical personnel at all about this problem. Imagine that. He assigned a case manager who will be contacting the dealer and myself within 1 to 2 business days.

I feel better now that Honda is in the loop, but the irritation factor is growing. I put $500 down on this machine on March 26. I went to pick it up on April 2 but was denied due to the Stop Sale. (I called Honda customer service on this, also, as the dealer kept telling me that Honda wasn't giving them any advice). I picked the machine up on April 9 - with a large down payment, and took it back to them on the April 13. So, in the 34 days since I put money down I have had the machine in my possession for 4 days. My first payment is due in 10 days. This coming weekend will be the third decent weekend in a row for riding that I won't have the machine. Grrr...

I've owned Honda's for the last 12 years and love them, and I'm confident Honda will make this right.

Thanks for hearing me out.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Hang in there, definitely sounds like you did your part. The service you receive depends entirely on the skill and motivation of the person troubleshooting and working on it, obviously the bigger volume dealers their shop personnel see and work on things with more frequency than the remote dealerships. The issue describes certainly sounds like an electrical ground issue, or a possible cable adjustment issue, unless by some happenstance your dash display unit is just wonky. With the different driveline modes it can take it just a bit of moving for the display to change, I would notice mine have to go a little bit to display it was out of 4WD lock after putting it back to regular 4WD or 2WD lock but it did always change however not immediately. It just may not be readily apparent what is causing it, but if the servicing tech applies a systematic thorough process of elimination he should eventually discover the root of the cause. I wish you luck on a quick resolution so you can enjoy your machine, keep up posted.

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hang in there, definitely sounds like you did your part. The service you receive depends entirely on the skill and motivation of the person troubleshooting and working on it, obviously the bigger volume dealers their shop personnel see and work on things with more frequency than the remote dealerships. The issue describes certainly sounds like an electrical ground issue, or a possible cable adjustment issue, unless by some happenstance your dash display unit is just wonky. With the different driveline modes it can take it just a bit of moving for the display to change, I would notice mine have to go a little bit to display it was out of 4WD lock after putting it back to regular 4WD or 2WD lock but it did always change however not immediately. IT just may not be readily apparent what is causing it, but it the servicing tech applies a systematic thorough process of elimination he should eventually discover the root of the cause. I wish you luck on a quick resolution so you can enjoy your machine, keep up posted.

That's my plan. It's tough when I drive about 75 miles round-trip to work and back and all I see on the highway is SxS's on trailers coming and going... lol. This dealership is one of the largest ones here, but they also sell Polaris, Suzuki and a couple other brands of bikes. They've been around since 1955. I'm going to stay positive... until I need to be negative. I don't like being that person, though ;-)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I feel like you have done the right to thing about staying calm and using the proper channels.

I agree that you should expect Honda will resolve the issue. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Some of you have read and replied to my comment about having issues with my P1000-5D on my first ride. For those that haven't read it, this is the problem.

After finally taking delivery of my machine (it was "quarantined" by the Stop Sale for a week) on April 9, I took it out on April 10. I found that when placing the drive mode in either 4WD Diff Lock or Turf that the display indicators were intermittent. Sometimes the indicators would work, sometimes not. I tried a variety of different things. None helped. 2WD and 4WD indicators didn't have an issue.

I figured that since I shelled out a heck-of-a-lot of money for this thing it was up to the dealer to fix it. I took it in on April 13. I pretty much called every day for status starting on the 15th. They told me they were working on it, that the machine was actually going into those modes but they couldn't get the indicators to work. We discussed the Diff Lock cable adjustment, grounds, etc. They told me that a Honda rep was in town and had given them some guidance on things to check and do... blah, blah, blah. They also told me that they had been working with Honda to fix the issue.

They called me yesterday, April 28 - 15 days after I took it in, and said they were stumped, that they would continue working the problem, and that if I wanted to I could pick up the machine and take it out over the weekend. (insert your choice of sarcastic reply here) I actually contemplated doing that and seeing if I could fix it myself, but I was calm enough to not let them off the hook. I declined that offer and informed the service manager that I would be calling customer service to put pressure on Honda to work with them to fix this problem. He thought that was a great idea because he felt they weren't giving him the information he needed to remedy the issue.

The customer service person was very interested in this. He took all the necessary information and then put me on hold for a couple minutes to do some research. According to him, the dealership had not contacted Honda technical personnel at all about this problem. Imagine that. He assigned a case manager who will be contacting the dealer and myself within 1 to 2 business days.

I feel better now that Honda is in the loop, but the irritation factor is growing. I put $500 down on this machine on March 26. I went to pick it up on April 2 but was denied due to the Stop Sale. (I called Honda customer service on this, also, as the dealer kept telling me that Honda wasn't giving them any advice). I picked the machine up on April 9 - with a large down payment, and took it back to them on the April 13. So, in the 34 days since I put money down I have had the machine in my possession for 4 days. My first payment is due in 10 days. This coming weekend will be the third decent weekend in a row for riding that I won't have the machine. Grrr...

I've owned Honda's for the last 12 years and love them, and I'm confident Honda will make this right.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Thought only qualified Honda Techs.
Had to do the work......
not a kid making $8.50
My 2 cents
hope you get justice dude
....nice guys get there TOY
back last...you've been more
than a Gentleman

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Bummer. Hope they get it figured out soon. Buying the pioneer and get oil and accessories for it and the Rancher are the only times I've dealt with them. Parts dept treats me good. Makes me wonder if I should got to Hartley if I need any service. I do believe they are a bigger Honda dealer. Same drive time either way.

Get her back soon, all the trails are thawing out!

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Really sounds like the same problems I was having. The first dealer I took it to said it was a key switch. They kept it over two weeks. They did not fix the problem. I now wonder if they really did anything. Took it to another dealer and they had it fixed and back to me AND installed a winch, and larger front bumper in 3 days. They said it was a grounding issue all along. Easy fix.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine takes awhile to show up on the dash sometimes but it usually ends up popping up eventually.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've been working with cars non stop professionally since I was 15. Ive seen so many things over the years and have never really trusted dealerships they tend to run into the same problems that anyone else may run into and sometimes fix things that just aren't needed. When we totaled out our 700 they wanted over 15k to fix it and I know and understand some of theses things but on the estimate every but bolt and part that had to come off was replaced with new. Ridiculous! I know this is just my opinion but that's just glorified parts changers. When you bring in your car we fix what was damaged. Have the ability to fix frames bodywork paint. Luckily for me buy back was only 2500 and I got full buy price plus some for accessories so I fixed it myself. Front diff was 1000 but even including that I was only into fixing what was actually damaged 1700. All said and done it was a very nice weekend I basically got paid 10000 to fix my own rig. Had they fixed it it would have been 3 weeks downtime we went riding the next weekend with some new accessories! I don't trust them and unless warranty ever requires me to my Honda only saw the dealer one time and it was only for a few hours on my way to pick it up. I'm not going to pay the 2.5 hours to install the roof that took me 20 minutes. Stupid. Just crazy. I hope if it ever has to go there it's not out of pocket I'd rather do the work on my own rig and not to mention with all the add-ons I've done they would have been in bewilderment for days on how to even start that! That is not a professional in my mind.

Last edited:
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Really sounds like the same problems I was having. The first dealer I took it to said it was a key switch. They kept it over two weeks. They did not fix the problem. I now wonder if they really did anything. Took it to another dealer and they had it fixed and back to me AND installed a winch, and larger front bumper in 3 days. They said it was a grounding issue all along. Easy fix.

I tend to believe that is the problem with mine. Since it's under warranty they can fix it. Hopefully with Honda Customer Service involved it get's resolved quickly. They told me a case manager would contact me in 1 to 2 business days. I'm giving them until tomorrow before I call. The dealer is closed on Mondays.

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been working with cars non stop professionally since I was 15. Ive seen so many things over the years and have never really trusted dealerships they tend to run into the same problems that anyone else may run into and sometimes fix things that just aren't needed. When we totaled out our 700 they wanted over 15k to fix it and I know and understand some of theses things but on the estimate every but bolt and part that had to come off was replaced with new. Ridiculous! I know this is just my opinion but that's just glorified parts changers. When you bring in your car we fix what was damaged. Have the ability to fix frames bodywork paint. Luckily for me buy back was only 2500 and I got full buy price plus some for accessories so I fixed it myself. Front diff was 1000 but even including that I was only into fixing what was actually damaged 1700. All said and done it was a very nice weekend I basically got paid 10000 to fix my own rig. Had they fixed it it would have been 3 weeks downtime we went riding the next weekend with some new accessories! I don't trust them and unless warranty ever requires me to my Honda only saw the dealer one time and it was only for a few hours on my way to pick it up. I'm not going to pay the 2.5 hours to install the roof that took me 20 minutes. Stupid. Just crazy. I hope if it ever has to go there it's not out of pocket I'd rather do the work on my own rig and not to mention with all the add-ons I've done they would have been in bewilderment for days on how to even start that! That is not a professional in my mind.

I saw your build. Awesome job! They wouldn't know where to start... lol

Reactions: CumminsPusher
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine takes awhile to show up on the dash sometimes but it usually ends up popping up eventually.

It just annoys the crap out of me for the money I spent. I tried giving it time, turning, etc. I'm still counting on Honda to fix it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I saw your build. Awesome job! They wouldn't know where to start... lol
It just annoys the crap out of me for the money I spent. I tried giving it time, turning, etc. I'm still counting on Honda to fix it.
I'm sure they will Honda is good at taking credit. They are just slow and have to contact "headquarters " a lot. Thank god it's a Honda though!! :)

H

HondaTech

I hate to hear the problems you are experiencing with your 1000. We had a similar issue with one, if you adjusted the cables to Honda's specs everything worked but wouldn't display the correct indicator. I think we ended up having to play with it until everything synced up. I really wish Honda would follow their own lead and make this electronic. I mean the atvs are all electric 4wd/locker now so why go back on this big and expensive of a unit.

Our district service manager was very confused about this as well. Hopefully you get it fixed.

Oh and when it comes to the powersports industry you'd be surprised how many kids making minimum wage are wrenching on your machines. There is no ASE for motorcycles, if there were, most "technicians" wouldn't have a job. You work in this industry because it's a hobby you enjoy, not to make big money. Trust me I've worked on Hondas for 8 years at the same shop and just now cracked $10/hr this year. When it comes to "Qualified Honda Techs" believe me most of those guys with the piece of paper on the wall, have no idea what the hell their doing. I worked circles around 3 MMI graduates right out of highschool and had never ridden a bike let alone worked on one.

AirtimeAcres

AirtimeAcres

Nov 11, 2015
When I bought my pioneer 1000 in February, everything seemed to work fine except for the drive status on the display. It was VERY slow to switch into the selected drive mode. I figured out right away that it was actually in the selected mode, just not indicating it, so I pretty much ignored it, as it was easy to see what mode I had it in by where the big selector knob was. I switch between drive modes a lot, depending where I am on the property at the time. Most of the time I'm in "turf" mode for quicker steering and less tearing up of the ground surface.
I'm noticing that the more time I have on the machine (approx 200 miles now), the quicker it is to indicate on the instrument panel what mode its in. I've noticed it switches quicker if I do a little zig-zag maneuver and dither the throttle a little.

AKRider, I get what you're saying about wanting everything to work on your expen$ive machine, but I think you're missing out on a lot of good riding by worrying about such a minor detail. We use our pioneer every day and LOVE it, despite the sluggish instrument drive status display, and that little bug is getting better...
Randy

AD1F8B21 6FED 4C94 B276 DC4344C8C46F

My dogs like the pioneer.
AC10E001 F7F5 4F74 BAD0 CE6F1340169A

The dogs would rather hang out in the Pioneer than lay in the grass while I'm re-fueling the Bobcat...
4B041233 C969 4FA8 9832 572927C99154

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I bought my pioneer 1000 in February, everything seemed to work fine except for the drive status on the display. It was VERY slow to switch into the selected drive mode. I figured out right away that it was actually in the selected mode, just not indicating it, so I pretty much ignored it, as it was easy to see what mode I had it in by where the big selector knob was. I switch between drive modes a lot, depending where I am on the property at the time. Most of the time I'm in "turf" mode for quicker steering and less tearing up of the ground surface.
I'm noticing that the more time I have on the machine (approx 200 miles now), the quicker it is to indicate on the instrument panel what mode its in. I've noticed it switches quicker if I do a little zig-zag maneuver and dither the throttle a little.

AKRider, I get what you're saying about wanting everything to work on your expen$ive machine, but I think you're missing out on a lot of good riding by worrying about such a minor detail. We use our pioneer every day and LOVE it, despite the sluggish instrument drive status display, and that little bug is getting better...
Randy

View attachment 14635

My dogs like the pioneer.
View attachment 14636

The dogs would rather hang out in the Pioneer than lay in the grass while I'm re-fueling the Bobcat...
View attachment 14637

I'm going to wait and see what the Case Manager has to say today. I agree that it's a small issue, but Honda needs to be aware of it and fix it. I guess I'm being the crash dummy for this issue. A few others have had the same experience as you. Hopefully I have it back this weekend.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine does the same thing - delays showing position on dash. But I think it always goes in very quick - just slow to show position. Never have I put it in 4wd has there ever been any delay other than on the dash. Hard to say about 2wd to/from turf or 4wd to from 4wd lock. I've not gotten stuck yet so haven't been sweating it. I would much rather it actually go into the mode I select and delay showing it on the instrument panel than to immediately show it on instrument panel and delay actually engaging.........

Waylan

Reactions: AKRider and amc019
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, Honda is stumped. I spoke with the case manager who informed me that Honda Technical has been involved with this and that the dealer did contact them about it as soon as they couldn't resolve the issue. Right now they do not have a resolution. They will keep the case open and continue to work on resolving it. The good thing is that now they at least know about it. I also informed them that I have seen others that have the same issue (the good people on here). Many of you have said that you have seen this problem and that since the machine is correctly going into the mode you select that you aren't bothered by it, or that over time it seems to get better. With that in mind, I'm ending my stint as "crash dummy" for this and picking up the machine tomorrow. I'm thinking I need to give it a thorough checkout to make sure they didn't miss something, then start planning my build. Nothing too outrageous... a second battery, some lights, etc. I already have the roof, glass windshield, and winch installed.

Happy trails, everyone, and thanks for all the good advice and comments!

ibleedjohndeeregreen

ibleedjohndeeregreen

Jun 21, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just picked up my unit two days ago. The display was immediately showing which mode I was in when I shifted at the dealer. 50 miles later the display shows I am in turf mode all the time. The machine switches through modes with out a problem just doesn't match the display. I have read it might be a bad ground. Has anyone had success fixing this issue?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some people have, others havent. I still have an open case with Honda on it, but I don't feel like having it in the shop all summer. Last time out mine showed all the modes correctly, but now shows its on MT and AT, as well as not showing sport. I'm going to go over all my grounds.

You might want to try the cable adjustment. The steps are on here somewhere. I'll see if I can scan them and post them again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement