Magruder Corridor round trip

Sacagawea

Sacagawea

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I would like to do a round trip of the Magruder Corridor (Montana Road) east to west and back from Darby MT to Elk City ID with all the side excursions along the way. Camping along the trail with a Motel or other stay at Elk City, the half way point in the trip for a hot meal and shower. I’m thinking 6-7 days. I would be towing my tiny trailer.

Thinking about mid to late July 2019. I would like to see what kind of interest there might be for those who live in the region (or farther away for that matter) and hit up any and all that already have experience with all or portions of it, starting with @mjn??

An Idaho OHV sticker/permit is required for use.
I would be trailering from Oklahoma to Darby and staying the night at the Travelers Rest Motel and Cabins in Darby and heading out early the next morning.

The halfway point stay would be at the historic Elk City Hotel (Motel) which is the only gig in town.

Looks like there’s the Elk Summit Cafe and Elk Creek Station Cafe for eateries.
I have a few questions.

Does the Travelers Rest have a Hot Tub?
Can I bring Cocktails?
Will I be the only lady in the group?
Can I bring Moonshine?
Can I bring cigarettes?
Will there be a help line in the event @JTW comes?
Can I bring a curling Iron?
Will there be a life saver rings if @Smitty335 comes?
Will there be a girls room on all stops?
Can I bring cigars?
Can I bring shots? I will need shots at all stops.
Will I have to wash dishes if I am the only Squaw?

If you can answer yes to all the above except the last question I’m in!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
When we did Magruder, my daughter and I brought a lot of freeze dried food. It was surprisingly good, not to mention easy to prepare.
I’m a backpacker too, and have a surplus of that in store. It has come a long way, you’re right, some of the entre’s are great.

Sacagawea

Sacagawea

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Ok @Sacagawea I was informed you have some concerns about bears. I do care about the success of others on their trips and their safety. The picture of me and a bear is on Mt. Rainier in Washington state. It is a brown Black bear and not a grizzly. I have seen bears in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming(Yellowstone), Montana, Washington, Oregon, California, Wisconsin and surprisingly enough also Iowa.

Grizzlies only exist in a few of those states and the only time I've seen a Grizzly was in Yellowstone.

Only about 1,500 grizzlies are left in the lower 48 states of the US. Of these, about 800 live in Montana. About 600 more live in Wyoming, in the Yellowstone-Teton area. There are an estimated 70–100 grizzly bears living in northern and eastern Idaho

To prevent problems with bears the best thing to do is not have ANY food in your trailer you are pulling. Also don't have anything scented in there. Other than food that also includes items like deodorant, gatorade, tooth paste, wrappers, garbage, etc. In short NO Smell-ables.

All that needs to be thrown in a bear proof box or cooler, otherwise it gets put in a bag and strung up a tree every night. When I back packed through bear country we kept our tents separate from EVERYTHING else. That meant our packs, clothes, food, etc was all in one location and our tents were about 40 yards away. Even if you don't hang up your smellables just sleeping in a separate location will help you significantly. Keep the sleep zone as scent free as possible.

I have spent many nights camping in bear country and I have only seen a bear near camp one time and that was in Yellowstone.

0n this MC trip there are probably 100 other things that are more likely to occur before a bear attack. Hazards of the trial, wrecks, tripping, broken bones, other people, weather, food, environment, hypothermia, food poisoning, navigation errors/ getting lost, heat stroke, .... the list goes on.... Make a solid plan and you'll be fine.
It’s a total no go not to bring deodorant or toothpaste. As far as the hazards of the trail I have slept on the ground in the woods more than most men on this forum. I can build a fire, and do my hair at the same time. All of that while wearing full makeup in the woods. I also tote a butane curling iron. I say bring it! No problem.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Looks like a great time to be had,I'v been through it and its beautiful country. So much to see and so little time.
So, are you going to join the ride Stacy???

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is the plate I’m after. Costs just $3.50 and is good for 7 years according to the DMV rep I spoke with on the phone in Boise, and gets you legal access to county/secondary roads. This, Idaho’s OHV permit sticker, turn signals and full coverage insurance should avoid any trouble.

64552AAE B9C3 49F7 904B DA0CDBE90A68

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I marked it on the calendar, tonight I will approach the wife with the proposal and she what she thinks. I have family that way so it would serve a great dual purpose. Beautiful area that time of year for sure... paradise.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It’s a total no go not to bring deodorant or toothpaste. As far as the hazards of the trail I have slept on the ground in the woods more than most men on this forum. I can build a fire, and do my hair at the same time. All of that while wearing full makeup in the woods. I also tote a butane curling iron. I say bring it! No problem.

I didn't say don't bring that stuff. You can bring whatever you want just store it somewhere other than where you sleep. I wasn't calling into question your ability, willingness or background. I don't care if you've never spent one night in the woods or if you want to make the trip in 6" heals, full make up, and fully intoxicated. It's your life, do what you want lady. I'm just being honest about the bear situation. Only doing so because your husband emailed me and wanted me to pretend there was no risk because "she’s absolutely not going to be on board for the trek if there’s real risk of grizzly or moose attacks."

I won't lie, there is a risk. I don't think its very high but there is a chance. There was a bear in the campground when you guys came to Mulberry and we all survived. I'm sure as long as you have plenty of alcohol you'll be just fine.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I marked it on the calendar, tonight I will approach the wife with the proposal and she what she thinks. I have family that way so it would serve a great dual purpose. Beautiful area that time of year for sure... paradise.
That would be great. Two squaws on the trail to look after each other. :)

Reactions: Stacy
Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Im plated, as above and required. (Seems mundane and overkill, and just another glorified way to suck money from you, especially when you have 6 toy's to plate) But I do jump through the hoops to be correct. I got ran by a fish and game officer with a rather large ego by all people but I had given her a pretty ruff time so I might of asked for it. Other than that its easier to sleep knowing its something you don't have to worry about. And when one is enjoying a trip the last thing you want on your mind is to be looking over your shoulder every time you hear someone approaching to see if its enforcement.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Im plated, as above and required. (Seems mundane and overkill, and just another glorified way to suck money from you, especially when you have 6 toy's to plate) But I do jump through the hoops to be correct. I got ran by a fish and game officer with a rather large ego by all people but I had given her a pretty ruff time so I might of asked for it. Other than that its easier to sleep knowing its something you don't have to worry about. And when one is enjoying a trip the last thing you want on your mind is to be looking over your shoulder every time you hear someone approaching to see if its enforcement.
That’s exactly the way I feel about it. After a year of preparation and traveling to the starting point, I don’t want to be concerned about an overly zealous Game&Fish or county deputy.

J

JTW

I didn't say don't bring that stuff. You can bring whatever you want just store it somewhere other than where you sleep. I wasn't calling into question your ability, willingness or background. I don't care if you've never spent one night in the woods or if you want to make the trip in 6" heals, full make up, and fully intoxicated. It's your life, do what you want lady. I'm just being honest about the bear situation. Only doing so because your husband emailed me and wanted me to pretend there was no risk because "she’s absolutely not going to be on board for the trek if there’s real risk of grizzly or moose attacks."

I won't lie, there is a risk. I don't think its very high but there is a chance. There was a bear in the campground when you guys came to Mulberry and we all survived. I'm sure as long as you have plenty of alcohol you'll be just fine.
Bhahahaha!!!!

Reactions: Tigermark
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s exactly the way I feel about it. After a year of preparation and traveling to the starting point, I don’t want to be concerned about an overly zealous Game&Fish or county deputy.
Unfortunately there seems to be one in every crowd. It would suck to ruin a big trip over a cheap license plate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sacagawea

Sacagawea

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500

Wow. Ok I already knew there was a risk. Monte and I already talked about it. He told me all about it. Just trying to kid around with you. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@mjn and @100Acre One side excursion I’m interested in is the 53 mile historic wagon road out of Elk City. According to the .gov site, it was first used by the Nez Perce to get to buffalo hunting grounds in Montana and then by miners traveling between Lewiston Idaho and the gold fields at Virginia City Montana. Now it’s loosely maintained for recreational purposes. Have either of you been on it and if so, any comments about it?

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Unfortunately there seems to be one in every crowd. It would suck to ruin a big trip over a cheap license plate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It would also be a shame to let endless mind numbing preparation spoil some spontaneous adventure and fun :rolleyes:;)

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@mjn and @100Acre One side excursion I’m interested in is the 53 mile historic wagon road out of Elk City. According to the .gov site, it was first used by the Nez Perce to get to buffalo hunting grounds in Montana and then by miners traveling between Lewiston Idaho and the gold fields at Virginia City Montana. Now it’s loosely maintained for recreational purposes. Have either of you been on it and if so, any comments about it?

Yes, I've done all of it a couple times. Parts of it many more times. The road generally is about like the Magruder. Most of it could be done in a 2wd pickup. There are a couple spots west out of Newsome that are a bit rough, but still, it's a good road.
It's basically split into 2 sections; One from Elk City to Newsome Creek, which is all good road. The section from Newsome to Clearwater is really cool, with a couple side roads.. Pilot Knob for one, that are well worth the trek.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Montecresto
You said mid to late July... do you have specific dates in mind? The reason I ask is the 25th thru the 29th are out for me. That is Boat Race weekend, & we're down to 2 managers on that stretch, I'm one of 'em.

Last edited:
advertisement