Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
And where did that belt fear come from?

Best advice ever, BTW!

I used that term remembering your Avatar on another forum. :)

I didn't want a belt because:

-I didn't research them enough so I didn't truly understand how they worked
-I never owned one before, since I had only ever owned Honda, so I didn't know what I was missing
-I read too much on Honda forums :p
-My brother had all kinds of trouble with his two Polaris machines (although never the belts) but I always expected he would have if he could have ever kept them out of the shop;)
-I liked to shift gears on my wife's Recon :D

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I used that term remembering your Avatar on another forum. :)

I didn't want a belt because:

-I didn't research them enough so I didn't truly understand how they worked
-I never owned one before, since I had only ever owned Honda, so I didn't know what I was missing
-I read too much on Honda forums :p
-My brother had all kinds of trouble with his two Polaris machines (although never the belts) but I always expected he would have if he could have ever kept them out of the shop;)
-I liked to shift gears on my wife's Recon :D
LOL...then you know where i was going here. I had the same fear once...for the same reasons. Then Yamaha made an ATV that was so much of what I wanted, I finally overlooked the fear and took the plunge. Never gave me one issue. In water. On hills. Etc. Granted, Yamaha has the best belt set-up by far (and Popo the worst)...

So the answer is...buy a Yamaha!!! :p.

J

JTW

We've all been over this 100 times... they've all got issues and when you buy a first year machine there are going to be even more. I think Honda took a little too much time on getting their fixes out... but they're here. So we'll see how they do. The PK5 needs a few refinements but it's by far the best all around setup of any sxs out there. Yamaha will now be a close second.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We've all been over this 100 times... they've all got issues and when you buy a first year machine there are going to be even more. I think Honda took a little too much time on getting their fixes out... but they're here. So we'll see how they do. The PK5 needs a few refinements but it's by far the best all around setup of any sxs out there. Yamaha will now be a close second.

Hey! Can we get a Moderator to check and see who has hacked JT's account.

I mean a post that isn't rough around the edges and actually makes sense!!!!!!!!
Can't be the real JT!

advertisement
S

Sulli

Dec 12, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going to be buying new SXS and would like a little feedback. Looking at the Honda 1000le, 2018 ranger xp and yahama wolverine x4. The use will be mostly hunting out west and for working around the farm. Would also like to make a few trips to trail ride down south and up north.
For hunting out west and our winters I'm going to want a full cab, also have two kids and the wife. Also looking for a quite machine, I have a 2011 Polaris 500 and it's really loud and everything rattles. For around the farm it's fine but going out west and spending two weeks in it would be to much. I really love the Honda but I've heard that for technical trail riding, which I do a lot of out west the shifting can be a bit much. The cab on the Honda make me nervous also, compared to the Polaris it just doesn't look all that great. The Polaris 4 seater is just way to big so that's a big hang up for me. I would have to go with the 3 seater. The new Polaris looks like they made a ton of improvements, will have to wait to see one in person. Not much info on the yahama yet but looks very promising, the cab system looks very impressive too. I've always been a huge Honda fan, but this time around I'm really looking for the best fit for my needs. Thanks
Consider putting a rack on the back of RZR 900 4. I had a Pioneer 1000-5 LE, they are quiet and pretty fun in the winter, can't even ride it in the summer with heat from engine. Clutch went out after 3 months. I needed 4 seats, not much you can't outfit a RZR to do. The rear seats in Honda beat your passengers to death, there directly over schocks in the Honda. I bought a RZR 900 4 it's awesome! Sucks up bumps like there not even there, will climb anything and there's tons of accessories for them. Good luck with whatever you decide. We hunt with it, kind of a small bed but you can make it work, riding with it is the best for trails high speed nothing compares. The 1000 4is just too big do to suspension.

J

JTW

Consider putting a rack on the back of RZR 900 4. I had a Pioneer 1000-5 LE, they are quiet and pretty fun in the winter, can't even ride it in the summer with heat from engine. Clutch went out after 3 months. I needed 4 seats, not much you can't outfit a RZR to do. The rear seats in Honda beat your passengers to death, there directly over schocks in the Honda. I bought a RZR 900 4 it's awesome! Sucks up bumps like there not even there, will climb anything and there's tons of accessories for them. Good luck with whatever you decide. We hunt with it, kind of a small bed but you can make it work, riding with it is the best for trails high speed nothing compares. The 1000 4is just too big do to suspension.
Really??? o_O:rolleyes:

C

Calhoun

Apr 14, 2016
Michigan
Just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback! Finally got some seat time in the new wolverine, for my needs and family it’s as close to perfect as I’m going to get. I had to rule the Polaris out because of the lack of seating and there’s no way I’m stepping into any of the full length 4 seaters, just way to long for my needs. The Honda was was close second. There’s a lot of things I really like about it, but in the end the smoothness, quietness and the cab of the yamaha won me over. I’m going to have to wait awhile for the package I want( glacier package full cab) I usually never buy the first year model but what the hell! Thanks again for all the help.

J

JTW

Just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback! Finally got some seat time in the new wolverine, for my needs and family it’s as close to perfect as I’m going to get. I had to rule the Polaris out because of the lack of seating and there’s no way I’m stepping into any of the full length 4 seaters, just way to long for my needs. The Honda was was close second. There’s a lot of things I really like about it, but in the end the smoothness, quietness and the cab of the yamaha won me over. I’m going to have to wait awhile for the package I want( glacier package full cab) I usually never buy the first year model but what the hell! Thanks again for all the help.
Which did you get?

C

Calhoun

Apr 14, 2016
Michigan
Got ya.. sorry you chose wrong
One thing I’ve learned over the years being a mechanic is they all have problems, pick a brand and I’ll pick it apart. I have zero brand loyalty. With that being said, I seriously considered all my options, test drove several machines and for me the yamaha was the clear winner. Time will tell if it was the right choice. I know I will be pissed if I’m having problems when it’s brand new, let’s face it there more then enough problems with the Honda on this site.

J

JTW

One thing I’ve learned over the years being a mechanic is they all have problems, pick a brand and I’ll pick it apart. I have zero brand loyalty. With that being said, I seriously considered all my options, test drove several machines and for me the yamaha was the clear winner. Time will tell if it was the right choice. I know I will be pissed if I’m having problems when it’s brand new, let’s face it there more then enough problems with the Honda on this site.
Suuure, be honest, you couldn’t handle the power of a P1000!!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

@JTW is just a big dumb animal folks

There are different machines for different people. One SxS will NEVER please everyone, no machine is 100% perfect. Glad you found what you needed and suits you. There are going to be people that swear by the one they decided on, till it breaks and they dog cuss it.

Then they will swear by another because the manufacturer didn’t support them(could be Honda in their eyes), or they will get support from the manufacturer and fix it and swear by the machine and the manufacturer next time (could also be Honda in their eyes).

advertisement