P1000 Looking for feedback

C

Calhoun

Apr 14, 2016
Michigan
Going to be buying new SXS and would like a little feedback. Looking at the Honda 1000le, 2018 ranger xp and yahama wolverine x4. The use will be mostly hunting out west and for working around the farm. Would also like to make a few trips to trail ride down south and up north.
For hunting out west and our winters I'm going to want a full cab, also have two kids and the wife. Also looking for a quite machine, I have a 2011 Polaris 500 and it's really loud and everything rattles. For around the farm it's fine but going out west and spending two weeks in it would be to much. I really love the Honda but I've heard that for technical trail riding, which I do a lot of out west the shifting can be a bit much. The cab on the Honda make me nervous also, compared to the Polaris it just doesn't look all that great. The Polaris 4 seater is just way to big so that's a big hang up for me. I would have to go with the 3 seater. The new Polaris looks like they made a ton of improvements, will have to wait to see one in person. Not much info on the yahama yet but looks very promising, the cab system looks very impressive too. I've always been a huge Honda fan, but this time around I'm really looking for the best fit for my needs. Thanks

Reactions: sharp

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Going to be buying new SXS and would like a little feedback. Looking at the Honda 1000le, 2018 ranger xp and yahama wolverine x4. The use will be mostly hunting out west and for working around the farm. Would also like to make a few trips to trail ride down south and up north.
For hunting out west and our winters I'm going to want a full cab, also have two kids and the wife. Also looking for a quite machine, I have a 2011 Polaris 500 and it's really loud and everything rattles. For around the farm it's fine but going out west and spending two weeks in it would be to much. I really love the Honda but I've heard that for technical trail riding, which I do a lot of out west the shifting can be a bit much. The cab on the Honda make me nervous also, compared to the Polaris it just doesn't look all that great. The Polaris 4 seater is just way to big so that's a big hang up for me. I would have to go with the 3 seater. The new Polaris looks like they made a ton of improvements, will have to wait to see one in person. Not much info on the yahama yet but looks very promising, the cab system looks very impressive too. I've always been a huge Honda fan, but this time around I'm really looking for the best fit for my needs. Thanks
If you get a new Honda, you'll benefit from all the corrective actions they've taken to the '16 & '17 models. Don't buy anything but an '18 Honda. I want to trade my '16 Honda for an '18 Polaris Ranger 1000 but I've been bitten once on this Honda because it was a new model. I know Polaris redesigned their Ranger from the ground up so I'd wait until they have all their bugs worked out too. Polaris has far and away the best cab system. (I own one). Honda is one of the worst. (I own one of those too). If you're gonna do any "fun" riding with the kiddos in the back, forget about the Honda. It looks nice on the Honda site but rear passengers have literally melted sandals to the floor! Too much heat. Don't have any experience with Yamaha SXSs except it's agreed among the SXS world that they have the best belt drive system. Technical trail riding is where the Honda will fail and die miserably. It has it's pros (flat asphalt high speed and a spectacular engine) but the concept of clutches slipping to allow low speed, high torque scenarios like rock crawling is not it's forte. The SXS market is on FIRE right now so every manufacturer is pulling out all the stops! And us consumers benefit!!! Good luck on whatever you decide.

Last edited:
J

JTW

If you get a new Honda, you'll benefit from all the corrective actions they've taken to the '16 & '17 models. Don't buy anything but an '18 Honda. I want to trade my '16 Honda for an '18 Polaris Ranger 1000 but I've been bitten once on this Honda because it was a new model. I know Polaris redesigned their Ranger from the ground up so I'd wait until they have all their bugs worked out too. Polaris has far and away the best cab system. (I own one). Honda is one of the worst. (I own one of those too). If you're gonna do any "fun" riding with the kiddos in the back, forget about the Honda. It looks nice on the Honda site but rear passengers have literally melted sandals to the floor! Too much heat. Don't have any experience with Yamaha SXSs except it's agreed among the SXS world that they have the best belt drive system. Technical trail riding is where the Honda will fail and die miserably. It has it's pros (flat asphalt high speed and a spectacular engine) but the concept of clutches slipping to allow low speed, high torque scenarios like rock crawling is not it's forte. The SXS market is on FIRE right now so every manufacturer is pulling out all the stops! And us consumers benefit!!! Good luck on whatever you decide.
Lmao... crowhunter??? Is that you!?

C

Calhoun

Apr 14, 2016
Michigan
Thanks for the information, I'm going to wait and get some feed back on the new Polaris and Yamaha. I love a lot of things about the Honda, but for my use I'm afraid it will fall short. Wish i was closer to Tennessee, there having a demo there next week for the new Yamaha. Also from the video's the cab looks really impressive.
I agree it would be smart to wait at least for the first year models to run and pick up a 19. I work on cars for a living, nothing better for us then a new model.lol

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Honda 1000-5 is a great machine. The best part about a 16 or 17 model is this far Honda has made any changes or updates backwards compatible to improve the original machines (with the exception of the LE front diff). I wouldn't hesitate to get any year Honda (16-18) and make a fun family machine. I think the manual transmission mode in the 1000 makes it a great machine for low speed crawling and exploring trails.

Reactions: sharp and JTW
Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Coming to the Honda forum you'd expect everyone to tell you pioneer hands down but that's not the case. I think what complicates your answer is looking for one machine to cover all jobs, hunting, recreation riding, and work. But as you realize you must come to a compromise. This is the same thing I did.

I've owned Honda dirt bikes, street bike, atv's, or now SxS since '79. I've also owned a few Polaris in there too. Rode almost every brand out there friends and riding buddies. What I've grown to appreciate about all my hondas not one time has a motor crapped out. It happens I know just not happened to me. Mine with regular maintenance just keeps going '02 trx450es. Even after all the abuse on the farm from hired men, cold start full throttle takeoffs=frowns. I'm still puzzled how it starts and purrs like the day I brought it home. So as you can see like you I have a bit of Honda red in me.

You said your looking at the pioneer 1000LE, 18 ranger XP 3 seater(cause of size),Yamaha x4. You didn't say if that was the 1000-5le or the 3seater LE.

You categorized you order hunting first and or work close second followed third by play.

Hunting
Looking at all three for hunting they are all capable machines. Simply need a ride in to hunt and something to carry game out.. If I had to give an edge it would be Polaris due to all the bed accessories on the market for hunting. I like the bed pockets and more hunters choose Polaris.. they been doing it longer and catering to hunters just look at most hunting resorts/camps you can't throw a rock and not hit a Polaris Ranger. Looking at Honda accessories I don't think they think their market is Hunting. Well I could be wrong they offer Camo.

Work
When it comes to work = cargo capacity, load capacity and towing matter. For 2017 Honda and Polaris were tied on these three. Of coarse that was the 900 ranger. For 2018 Polaris has moved ahead with 500lbs (2500lbs total) more towing and 10 more HP (82 total) in the 1000 motor. I believe they also went to the larger transmission belt the RZR uses to get there.
The Yamaha uses the 850 motor but it's bed capacity 600lbs falls distance 3rd to the others 1000lbs but still retains 2000lbs towing due to its efficient transmission. This loss maybe due to how the seats fold or push up against the front seats in the Yamaha x4 = less bed space.
Don't forget the Cab Polaris can get you sealed up, Honda needs to go aftermarket for anything close.
Inside cab storage goes to the new Polaris pockets everywhere and passenger seat pops up to add storage. As you can see Polaris is been doing this way longer.

Play
For me this is a close one the Polaris gets you some more ground clearance about 0.3" 12.7 Honda LE to 13 for Polaris almost a tie slight to Polaris. Ride goes to the pioneer LE it gives you Fox shocks adjustability for all conditions. Are they perfect? Nothings perfect but they are better then the Polaris shocks. Polaris factory rims I'm not a fan of the 4 leaf clover look. The factory could have done better in the eye appeal department.
Horsepower, Polaris 1000 get 82hp, Honda 1000 72hp, Yamaha 850 not found it posted yet. I'd assume with a twin cylinder 8 valve 850 that mid 60's is pretty close. My guess.

Results
Now to put in your factors needing 4 seats for family, hunting, work and play.
Polaris 3 seats not 4... I guess you could bungee one in the bed = smiles
Polaris Crew equals 6 seat but not an option it's a tank and play would be severely limited.
Honda pioneer 1000Le 3 seats not an option no place for 4th just like Polaris
Honda pioneer 1000-5Le five seats got you covered and it's even got room for the next one if there is another.
Yamaha X4 4 seater got you covered too.

To meet the family of 4 "sometimes" use only the pioneer and Yamaha x4 cover that.
What's the differences between these two. Ones an 850 4 seater which I think Yamaha was going after the pioneer 700 market with this and not going up against the 1000 category but they threw it in the middle. Another thing I don't like is manufacturers only giving a 6 month warranty. That's all Yamaha is giving on this new model so adding extended would be a must on my list and something to figure in your price.
The only draw back I see the the yahama x4 it doesnt have a dump bed. Some its not a deal breaker but on the farm this gets used and of coarse the 1000-5 needs a bed liner or the load may migrate through the bed.

I was looking hard at the 2017 Polaris General deluxe 2 seater. For play this would have been the ticket. I came back to reality Polaris is extra proud of these not enough of a discount for a machine turning a year old. The price and 5 seats plus Dealership Honda made my choice obvious.

If you can live with 3 seater it seems Polaris would fit your bill to the tee. If you need 4 or more Honda and Yamaha would work. I'm giving a thumbs up on my Pioneer.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Hawkeye

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Coming to the Honda forum you'd expect everyone to tell you pioneer hands down but that's not the case. I think what complicates your answer is looking for one machine to cover all jobs, hunting, recreation riding, and work. But as you realize you must come to a compromise. This is the same thing I did.

I've owned Honda dirt bikes, street bike, atv's, or now SxS since '79. I've also owned a few Polaris in there too. Rode almost every brand out there friends and riding buddies. What I've grown to appreciate about all my hondas not one time has a motor crapped out. It happens I know just not happened to me. Mine with regular maintenance just keeps going '02 trx450es. Even after all the abuse on the farm from hired men, cold start full throttle takeoffs=frowns. I'm still puzzled how it starts a purrs like the day I brought it home. So as you can see like you I have a bit of Honda red in me.

You said your looking at the pioneer 1000LE, 18 ranger XP 3 seater(cause of size),Yamaha x4. You didn't say if that was the 1000-5le or the 3seater LE.

You categorized you order hunting first and or work close second followed third by play.

Hunting
Looking at all three for hunting they are all capable machines. Simpley need a ride in to hunt and something to carry game out.. If I had to give an edge it would be Polaris due to all the bed accessories on the market for hunting. I like the bed pockets and more hunters choose Polaris.. they been doing it longer and catering to hunters just look at most hunting resorts/camps you can't throw a rock and not hit a Polaris Ranger. Looking at Honda accessories I don't think they think their market is Hunting. Well I could be wrong they offer Camo.

Work
When it comes to work = cargo capacity, load capacity and towing matter. For 2017 Honda and Polaris were tied on these three. Of coarse that was the 900 ranger. For 2018 Polaris has moved ahead with 500lbs (2500lbs total) more towing and 10 more HP (82 total) in the 1000 motor. I believe they also went to the larger transmission belt the RZR uses to get there.
The Yamaha uses the 850 motor but it's bed capacity 600lbs falls distance 3rd to the others 1000lbs but still retains 2000lbs towing due to its efficient transmission. This loss maybe due to how the seats fold or push up against the front seats in the Yamaha x4 = less bed space.
Don't forget the Cab Polaris can get you sealed up, Honda needs to go aftermarket for anything close.
Inside cab storage goes to the new Polaris pockets everywhere and passenger seat pops up to add storage. As you can see Polaris is been doing this way longer.

Play
For me this is a close one the Polaris gets you some more ground clearance about 0.3" 12.7 Honda LE to 13 for Polaris almost a tie slight to Polaris. Ride goes to the pioneer LE it gives you Fox shocks adjustability for all conditions. Are they perfect? Nothings perfect but they are better then the Polaris shocks. Polaris factory rims I'm not a fan of the 4 leaf clover look. The factory could have done better in the eye appeal department.
Horsepower, Polaris 1000 get 82hp, Honda 1000 72hp, Yamaha 850 not found it posted yet. I'd assume with a twin cylinder 8 valve 850 that mid 60's is pretty close. My guess.

Results
Polaris Crew equals 6 seat but not an option it's a tank and play would be severely limited.
Honda pioneer 1000-5Le five seats got you covered and it's even got room for the next one if there is another.

To Meet the family of 4 "sometimes" use only the pioneer and Yamaha x4 cover that.
What's the differences between these two. Ones an 850 4 seater which I think Yamaha was going after the pioneer 700 market with this and not going up against the 1000 category but they threw it in the middle. Another thing I don't like is manufacturers only giving a 6 month warranty. That's all Yamaha is giving on this new model so adding extended would be a must on my list and something to figure in your price.
The only draw back I see the the yahama x4 it doesnt have a dump bed. Some its not a deal breaker but on the farm this gets used and of coarse the 1000-5 needs a bed liner or the load may migrate through the bed.

I was looking hard at the 2017 Polaris General deluxe 2 seater. For play this would have been the ticket. I came back to reality Polaris is extra proud of these not enough of a discount for a machine turning a year old. The price and 5 seats plus Dealership Honda made my choice obvious.

If you can live with 3 seater it seems Polaris would fit your bill to the tee. If you need 4 or more Honda and Yamaha would work. I'm giving a thumbs up on my Pioneer.

Good Lucky and Happy Hunting

Hawkeye
You should write for a magazine. Very thorough!

advertisement
J

JTW

I've owned Honda dirt bikes, street bike, atv's, or now SxS since '79. I've also owned a few Polaris in there too. Rode almost every brand out there friends and riding buddies. What I've grown to appreciate about all my hondas not one time has a motor crapped out. It happens I know just not happened to me. Mine with regular maintenance just keeps going '02 trx450es. Even after all the abuse on the farm from hired men, cold start full throttle takeoffs=frowns. I'm still puzzled how it starts and purrs like the day I brought it home. So as you can see like you I have a bit of Honda red in me.

Hunting
Looking at all three for hunting they are all capable machines. Simply need a ride in to hunt and something to carry game out.. If I had to give an edge it would be Polaris due to all the bed accessories on the market for hunting. I like the bed pockets and more hunters choose Polaris.. they been doing it longer and catering to hunters just look at most hunting resorts/camps you can't throw a rock and not hit a Polaris Ranger. Looking at Honda accessories I don't think they think their market is Hunting. Well I could be wrong they offer Camo.

Work

Play

Results

To meet the family of 4 "sometimes" use only the pioneer and Yamaha x4 cover that.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Hawkeye
Great comparison and spot on...

Ps.. I loved you in MASH

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Lmao... crowhunter??? Is that you!?

HEY! :p

To the OP.

I have learned my lesson. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything first year.

So that is no to the Ranger (lots of new stuff for 2018) and no to the Wolverine.

So that leaves the Honda, but the Honda cab sucks and I personally don't like it for 6-10 MPH in low gear, and going really slow has been bad on clutches for 2016/2017 models. Of course YMMV and the 2018 may be better. Still doesn't have good on board storage.

But if you want a tilting bed and short wheelbase with 4-5 person capacity it is still the only thing out there.

I still really like the Honda on paper, in real life,however, I like my Defender more. ;)

Reactions: 0860silverado
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
HEY! :p

To the OP.

I have learned my lesson. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything first year.

So that is no to the Ranger (lots of new stuff for 2018) and no to the Wolverine.

So that leaves the Honda, but the Honda cab sucks and I personally don't like it for 6-10 MPH in low gear, and going really slow has been bad on clutches for 2016/2017 models. Of course YMMV and the 2018 may be better. Still doesn't have good on board storage.

But if you want a tilting bed and short wheelbase with 4-5 person capacity it is still the only thing out there.

I still really like the Honda on paper, in real life,however, I like my Defender more. ;)
LMAO...CrowHunter??? Is that you???

Oh wait...Sorry....it IS you!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
:)

I am around. I just don't need to complain since I don't have my Pioneer anymore. :p:D

My Defender on the trailer out front ready to go for some riding and work around the farm tomorrow.:cool:
I don't really view it as complaining so much as observations that don't fit the mold here. Good ride tomorrow hopefully!

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I beg to differ about the slow speed technical trails and the Honda failing miserably. Just got back from a 2 day ride again from royal blue and it out shined several other brand utv's on the slow technical rock climbs. You can follow us at royal blue, bull run, or black mtn if you would like to have a little proof. Just make sure you have your skid plate. Lol

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I read the posts. IMO, he knew that maybe it wasn't the right machine for him and let others with different priorities talk him into it.

Thanks!

It was ultimately my decision and I didn't do my due diligence. I broke my own rule of never buying the first year of anything and I also let my "fear" of belts and the no belt hype convince me that I had to have a Honda. Now that I have been infected with a CVT, I probably won't go back to a non-CVT machine unless there is some seriously awesome feature to pull me in. I assume that the next big thing will be hybrid drive trains which might be something that pulls me in. Instant torque, 4 Wheel independent drive and the ability to be both whisper quiet in electric mode and long range with the IC engine would be seriously cool.

I should have spent more time driving them myself (preferably using them on hills for work) and less time researching on the internet and reading how other people in different environmental conditions and uses were using theirs, and I would have realized that the Pioneer just didn't have what I really wanted/needed versus what looked great on paper and for other people.

I was complaining. Hopefully it helped others not make a mi$take like I did.

Know your uses and try everything before you buy.

Don't be brand blind.

advertisement