Looking for Chainsaw suggestions and Vehicle mounts.

P

PNWGuy

I have an axe mounted on my toolbox, and a shovel, as required by the USFS.

I was burning slash piles a couple of months ago and had to fell a smaller 8" diameter cedar. I started looking for chainsaws after I had to ice my shoulder for a week afterwards...

Settled on a model that is the exact same saw sold by Husqvarna, Craftsman, Poulan, and Remington. Same dang saw, just different colors and stickers.

Got good reviews, so I ordered the Craftsman version since it matched my P500, and it was $50 less than the Husqvarna version.

Only $140...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NRC42M5/?tag=sxsweb24-20

61p5dtMR62BL SL1500

It also came with a plastic case that fits perfectly on my rear rack behind the tool box.

Haven't used it in the woods, but did saw down a smaller tree on my property and it seems to start easy and work fine. So far.

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a dewalt 20V 12" chainsaw (same as @nbomar ). It has come in handy several times on the trails and I use it around the house for quick cleanup. I primarily chose because I already had the dewalt batteries and I could buy the bare tool. I have read where others have had a lot of success swapping out the 12" bar to a 14" bar as well.

Would I pick up this one over a gas if I were going to be cutting up trees for firewood - no but to clear a tree on the trail it works great - now if you have a oak that you cant hug around - this is not the saw but I would not take the time to cut that with a gas saw either.

Mounts - still have not found a mount or a way to mount to the pioneer that I am happy with. I currently have in a husky canvas bag that I put in the bed when I am carrying. Depending on the year of your Pioneer you may have the nerf bars in the back - I don't but if I did that is where I would look to mount.

We came across a fallen tree about 12 inches in diameter during the Takeover and @ ragnar406 cut it out in just a few minutes. Was very impressed with the battery powered saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use an EGO battery powered for the sxs. I bought the 16" because it came with the bigger battery. We already had the string trimmer and blower. I have a Stihl 027,MS251 and a 660 with 36"bar for when I'm going to spend the day getting firewood. The EGO is now my go to around the house for trimming and anything 12" or less. I like not carrying fuel in the Pioneer. Especially in the winter with the enclosure. Me and @Rambo cleared tails in February and I was probably close to 25 minutes trigger time in a day and the saw worked great and battery still had juice. It cuts as well as my two smaller Stihl.

20190710 185540 20190710 185512 20190710 185523

H

hemifoot

if you're worried about carrying fuel,get a can of aspen2 50:1 premix.it has a very long shelf life,uses synthetic oil,no need to add stabil and it has no ethanol and can bang around forever without leaking.we carry a couple cans in our service trucks.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think stihl has the stabilizer in there more expensive fuel mixfor lasting forever)(, I use it enough not to worry I just use their cheaper stuff, they say you have to use the stihl fuel in their saws and its not that expensive so I do.

very impressed by the battery grass trimmer by Ryobi, battery lasts forever and I have a ton to do, but I haven't found a chainsaw I would buy the gas ones for someone who uses it all day is the better choice, you can cut the bigger wood and trees a lot faster

Reactions: Cal and rtn001
K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I use the opti 2 oil. One mix for everything with added stabilizer. Add it to you one gallon of ethanol free fuel. I think Ive been through 6 gallons of premix so far this year.

Reactions: 100Acre
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’d like to purchase a saw for the 1000, especially since I’ll be doing a lot of trail riding alone and would prefer not having to turn around due to fallen trees. I’d also like to see what and how everyone mounts their saws in their rigs. Pictures welcome. Many thanks.
I would suggest a top handle arborists saw. They are very compact very light and tend to pack a good bit of power into a small package. I have a 210t stihl. I've been around them since I was a kid and the dealer support makes it easy to get repairs and parts. Recently I demoed a top handle echo. It seemed to have a lot more power than the stihl.

Reactions: rtn001 and 100Acre
advertisement
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Besides my Echo battery saw I also have two Makita's one 36v and one 18v. Both work well. Also have an Echo 271T, also an excellent choice. As if I needed another small saw I picked up a Stihl MS193 rear handle for hiking this year. They all work well and handle stuff easily up to 12". It's just a question of how fast do you want to cut. Even the little Makita 18v saw cuts surprisingly well and lasts a long time. With the gas saws I find myself using the canned premix fuels. It's just a lot more convenient for the amount they get used. I mix gas for the bigger saws. Keep your chains sharp and your saws clean and most of your problems go away.

Reactions: rtn001 and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today I picked up a Stihl MS 250. The Stihl has a 4 or 5 year warranty over the Husquavarna’s 2 year. The 250 is a medium use saw with an 18” bar. I also decided to not get the one with all the extra gizmos, so as for easier and cheaper repairs down the road. I really liked the Husq. arborists saws but, one I was told to stay away from and the other was $650. I originally was just going to get the little MS 170 or 180, but they’re more for homeowners usage. I learned a long time ago to stay away from homeowners tools as they’re typically more cheaply made. I have 455 Rancher at home, so a medium use saw should come in handy on the trails and maintaining the property back home.
371F96C5 117D 4970 905B 18740327D0F9

V

vart

Jul 11, 2019
The Palouse
Ownership

1. 500
I have an axe mounted on my toolbox, and a shovel, as required by the USFS.

I was burning slash piles a couple of months ago and had to fell a smaller 8" diameter cedar. I started looking for chainsaws after I had to ice my shoulder for a week afterwards...

Settled on a model that is the exact same saw sold by Husqvarna, Craftsman, Poulan, and Remington. Same dang saw, just different colors and stickers.

Got good reviews, so I ordered the Craftsman version since it matched my P500, and it was $50 less than the Husqvarna version.

Only $140...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NRC42M5/?tag=sxsweb24-20

View attachment 140526

It also came with a plastic case that fits perfectly on my rear rack behind the tool box.

Haven't used it in the woods, but did saw down a smaller tree on my property and it seems to start easy and work fine. So far.

That’s a pretty decent deal. Won’t handle big wood, but should blow right through smaller stuff.

P

PNWGuy

That’s a pretty decent deal. Won’t handle big wood, but should blow right through smaller stuff.
By creating troll accounts and posting my information, you are violating WA state cyberbullying laws and are being referred to local law enforcement agencies.

Please stop following me around to various forums on the internet and trolling me. I will be in contact with law enforcement tomorrow and will take all appropriate legal action necessary to stop your stalking and harassment.

Reactions: rtn001
P

PNWGuy

Especially wood that’s already been eaten by woodlice.

Man, I hate that word: “louse”...

By creating troll accounts and posting my information, you are violating WA state cyberbullying laws and are being referred to local law enforcement agencies.

Please stop following me around to various forums on the internet and trolling me. I will be in contact with law enforcement tomorrow and will take all appropriate legal action necessary to stop your stalking and harassment.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5

@Hondasxs

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jesus. Is this how new members are received here? o_O
Apparently someone is getting trolled here. We’re a big family on this privately owned forum and don’t take kindly to folks messing with our own. Forgive me if I’m wrong and I would say normally say be welcome here, but I too noticed a similarity between yourself and Vart. If I am incorrect, then please feel welcome.

advertisement