P1000 Lets' talk hard roofs.. which one is best?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Getting down to crunch time on my 1000-3 purchase. I'm trying to decide whether to get the OE poly roof, or one of the aftermarket aluminum ones..

What do you have? Likes? Dislikes?

Leonandlisa

Leonandlisa

Dec 14, 2016
Las Vegas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 1000-5, I bought the Tusk two piece aluminum one so it would be super low profile and not cause problems getting it in my toyhauler. It has been great and very durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ATM0816
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the 1000-5, I bought the Tusk two piece aluminum one so it would be super low profile and not cause problems getting it in my toyhauler. It has been great and very durable.

That's one of the ones I've been looking at. Aluminum would be better to mount stuff like lights on..

Does it leak water/rain between the two pieces?

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I built one out of 1 piece of aluminum. I like it because its durable, I can stand on it, and its low profile. 6c9d6c4db481549898ad405ad3bfa670

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Leonandlisa

Leonandlisa

Dec 14, 2016
Las Vegas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's one of the ones I've been looking at. Aluminum would be better to mount stuff like lights on..

Does it leak water/rain between the two pieces?

I don’t think it would, and for a 3 seater you probably wouldn’t have two pieces like my 5 seater. I live in the desert though so not much experience with rain.

Reactions: mjn

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No kidding! I've never seen one that color. Dayum that's sharp lookin'! Looks fast!

Reactions: CumminsPusher

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know if you trail through a lot of trees but a piece of vinyl auto wrap on that roof in that burnt orange color would make that thing POP!!!

advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As the owner of a P1K-3, I can't brag on my Honda poly roof. It's concave and holds water, my beacon mounted on top makes it bounce up and down a full 2 inches while driving and it leaks at the windshield seam while driving. I'm looking at Alien shade. Sun blocking mesh that would be cooler/quieter.

Reactions: Eltobgi and mjn
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As the owner of a P1K-3, I can't brag on my Honda poly roof. It's concave and holds water, my beacon mounted on top makes it bounce up and down a full 2 inches while driving and it leaks at the windshield seam while driving. I'm looking at Alien shade. Sun blocking mesh that would be cooler/quieter.
That's the kind of info I'm lookin for man. I'm definitely leaning towards an aluminum roof..

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's the kind of info I'm lookin for man. I'm definitely leaning towards an aluminum roof..
Another good option would be a piece of uhmw. I would use 1/2" so it doesn't get bent up. Its extremely durable and will slide well against tree branches, rocks, whatever. You can only get it in black or white though.

J

JTW

If I had an aluminum roof it would be bent to s*** by now. But that’s also with a 5 seater and a lot of extra cage up top. My .02... you want something forgiving that can move and take a licking. If I were doing it now. I’d probably build one from some 1/2” UHMW and insert some 1/4” lexan windows.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
UHMW has the best of both worlds. It's strong like aluminum (can resist a branch or jagged boulder punching through in case of capsize), and tough (will not sustain permanent damage after capsizing into said branch or jagged boulder).

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If I had an aluminum roof it would be bent to s*** by now. But that’s also with a 5 seater and a lot of extra cage up top. My .02... you want something forgiving that can move and take a licking. If I were doing it now. I’d probably build one from some 1/2” UHMW and insert some 1/4” lexan windows.
I really don't think it would be sir. I've hit mine on a lot of tree trunks, branches, rocks, and more and there isn't a single dent or bend in it. The type of aluminum certainly matters I'm sure. Mine is made from 6061. I think 7071 would be fine too but it's not quite as strong.

I agree uhmw is probably better. One thing I don't like about aluminum is when it gets smacked hard its loud and rings your ears a bit. Uhmw would absorb impacts better and not be so loud when hit hard.

Reactions: 0860silverado
J

JTW

I really don't think it would be sir. I've hit mine on a lot of tree trunks, branches, rocks, and more and there isn't a single dent or bend in it. The type of aluminum certainly matters I'm sure. Mine is made from 6061. I think 7071 would be fine too but it's not quite as strong.

I agree uhmw is probably better. One thing I don't like about aluminum is when it gets smacked hard its loud and rings your ears a bit. Uhmw would absorb impacts better and not be so loud when hit hard.

I have dents and dings in the rops.. I would hate to see them in a roof. I like yours but I don’t think it would work on a 5.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have dents and dings in the rops.. I would hate to see them in a roof. I like yours but I don’t think it would work on a 5.

The rops are pitifully thin.

I should clarify also that I added an x brace to the top which helps the rops. I think a 3 seat top would be fine without it but if putting an aluminum or uhmw flat top on a p5 I think you would want a little added support especially if you want to stand on it.

J

JTW

The rops are pitifully thin.

I should clarify also that I added an x brace to the top which helps the rops. I think a 3 seat top would be fine without it but if putting an aluminum or uhmw flat top on a p5 I think you would want a little added support especially if you want to stand on it.

What if you want to have a hoe down up there?

advertisement