Not open for further replies.
Lifetime-Trailmaps

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Mar 27, 2018
Dalton, GA
www.lifetimetrailmaps.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Fair enough but remember, there are entities out here testing these very products and giving their results to the community. Hint, hint. Good luck. You will find a happy medium to what you are searching for. For Apple, we liked View Ranger and Avenza the best. Check into those.

FWIW, we have (5) iPhones, a Macbook Pro, a MacBook Air, an iPad Mini and (4) iMac's in my house. The only Android device we have are our tablets. :)

Reactions: sharp
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
In the maps for the takeover thread, it shows how to put trail overlays into google earth ON IPHONE. Its dead simple and free. It also shows how to load orux on android and gives links to the maps you need. It did not take more than an hour to learn, and if you don't really understand how to install and set up oruxmaps should you take it into the woods with you?

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I’m just curious what everyone was doing other than android. As much justification and defensivenesss as there is about the android and Samsung above it must means something. Now begone back to your android love thread!

Anyhow I’ll have to try motion x also I was about to get a new iPad but looks they are releasing new stuff in the next few days. I for one haven’t ever had any problem with gps location on either the iPad or the iPhone.

I guess I never thought I’d say this but I’m gonna keep bucking the trend and use my Apple products? As I find better solutions and software I’ll post it on this thread.

I was merely trying to point out why some shy away from the Android platform. Apple makes some great products it's their business model of forced obsolescence I challenge. Beyond that, I think Apple would benefit greatly from a an app that works as easily as Oruxmaps while allowing typical. gpx .kml .kmz files to be used so everything is cross platform compatible with even stand alone GPS devices. Competition is a great thing for consumers.

Ran into this at the RRB campgrounds store, says works with iPhones etc. but pretty sure limited to TWRA Sundquist trails. Still though maybe it can be expanded, maybe not.
20181026 132117

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I was merely trying to point out why some shy away from the Android platform. Apple makes some great products it's their business model of forced obsolescence I challenge. Beyond that, I think Apple would benefit greatly from a an app that works as easily as Oruxmaps while allowing typical. gpx .kml .kmz files to be used so everything is cross platform compatible with even stand alone GPS devices. Competition is a great thing for consumers.

I agree whole wholeheartedly I guess I just need to make one similar

Reactions: sharp and Neohio
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's the nature of a diplomatic discussion. Sometimes, we allow ourselves to be boxed in without complete understanding of what's available. Example: I used to be a die hard Arctic Cat loyalist until I widened my narrow minded view to the much better options out there. The boxes we place ourselves in can keep us limited and as a company whose specialty is GPS based trail mapping, I can only give factual information as to our testing.

Remember, our company is not unfairly biased and focused on "Apple versus Samsung". Our company is bout mapping data and the most reliable and efficient way to handle the mapping data. The particular device is simply the data host and we want our customers to have the most reliable hardware when venturing deep into wooded territory. I've pondered the "We got lost 18 miles deep in the woods because of weak GPS" phone calls and it's enough to make you sick thinking about it, as a business owner. That being said, we made sure we tested different equipment to provide the BEST results and that happens to be Samsung Galaxy Tablets. Hands down.

Chris is right iOS pretty much requires network connection in deep woods for any kind of accuracy. We have all Apple devices iMac/MacBooks,AppleTv/phones/watches and I use the android VERY begrudgingly and I don’t have anything connected to it except my google account and ORUX, but ORUXmaps is far more capable than Google Earth even on Android. If you’re in an area where cell coverage is 3bars or better and good LTE connection speed, then iOS functions fairly well.

I have several Garmin devices, one being an inReach explorer for deep woods communications, it will link to my iPad/iPhone and provide Garmin based location via Bluetooth and topo maps(download before you loose internet) but it’s very expensive and a purpose based device.

I am going to try one of these GLO for Aviation | Garmin supposedly they are incredibly fast and accurate even relative to the Samsung, but that’s just here say at this point, and I don’t know if it will function with ORUX.

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Mar 27, 2018
Dalton, GA
www.lifetimetrailmaps.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Your cheapest option for tablets at the time I posted was $360. I would have to spend that to play in the game. While duplicating a tablet I already own.
People spend $400 on nice jeans, $250 on shoes, $1200 on iPhones, $20,000+ on machines, $20,000 more on mods................. so $359 to "play the game" (as you call it) is cheaper than a pair of designer jeans these day. Fortunately, when you play the game, you get....

LTMAD5

Anyone who understands the costs associated in operating a business understands what we are doing and why we charge a measly $249 for our digital goods and service.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thread locked as it was getting way off topic with debate.
Dozen or so post removed to clear up the read.
We may start an APPLE GPS ONLY thread next week once the full moon and the scarry holiday passes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.