Lets talk about GPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
So I for one can't stand android, samsungs ect so we wont be talking about eh gps fellas that shall not be named.

My question is what are the options for mapping and gps on the IPAD/iphone. What does everyone use. I have made several map pdfs that are loadable on avenza. I also have played with Topo Maps+ and it looks to be promising. But I haven't found just the right software yet that is accessible out of service gps.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I for one can't stand android, samsungs ect so we wont be talking about eh gps fellas that shall not be named.

My question is what are the options for mapping and gps on the IPAD/iphone. What does everyone use. I have made several map pdfs that are loadable on avenza. I also have played with Topo Maps+ and it looks to be promising. But I haven't found just the right software yet that is accessible out of service gps.
I have used MotionX on my iPhone before and believe it works on the Ipad as well. You can do live updates with signal and It is closest to say Oruxmaps or Back country Navigator that I have seen. I have not used it a ton but it has a lot of features and I think is a little more intuitive than oruxmaps .
other than that you are pretty much stuck with Ride command, Maplets or Avenza. There was an app called UTVtrails that had some potential but I have not played with it for a while.

There are all kinds of crowd sourced maps available I used to use My Trails-High Quality Trail and POI Maps Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot While free I would recommend (and I did) toss a donation their way to keep encouraging them to update their maps.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I saw a thread on Facebook where someone converted BobT maps to a format that worked on IOS i believe. I belive it was MapPlus app they recommended for that. I would much rather use IOS for maps, but still using Android. You either have to get a tablet with cellular access (for GPS chip) or get a device like the bad elf to get gps on one

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yeah the iPad has to be the cellular model but does not have to have service the only iPad with gps chips are the cell version. I have used map balls as well and the maps are ok as well

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Mar 27, 2018
Dalton, GA
www.lifetimetrailmaps.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The reason we do not offer anything for iOS based devices is because while doing our real world (in the deep woods) hardware comparisons, Apple provided the weakest and least reliable GPS signal captures without assistance. Apple relies on various networks to strengthen their GPS communication and it just isn't reliable enough for us to put our customers in that position.

It's unfortunate that you don't like Samsung because their internal GPS hardware is actually a notch above Garmin and Magellan. It saddens me as well because in my family, we have (5) iPhones, (1) iPad, (4) iMacs and a Macbook Pro. It has nothing to do with being "anti -apple" as some have referred in times past. It has to do with what provides reliable GPS signal strength. YMMV, but if you speak with anyone who is dedicated to proper GPS hardware in the woods, they will agree that Apple is dismal.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The reason we do not offer anything for iOS based devices is because while doing our real world (in the deep woods) hardware comparisons, Apple provided the weakest and least reliable GPS signal captures without assistance. Apple relies on various networks to strengthen their GPS communication and it just isn't reliable enough for us to put our customers in that position.

It's unfortunate that you don't like Samsung because their internal GPS hardware is actually a notch above Garmin and Magellan. It saddens me as well because in my family, we have (5) iPhones, (1) iPad, (4) iMacs and a Macbook Pro. It has nothing to do with being "anti -apple" as some have referred in times past. It has to do with what provides reliable GPS signal strength. YMMV, but if you speak with anyone who is dedicated to proper GPS hardware in the woods, they will agree that Apple is dismal.
That is why I gave up on Apple got a Samsung and went with you guys.. Each has their strength and weaknesses - Apple and Windows and Android.

advertisement
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

My experience has been great with my Apple devices in the woods. Except with ride command. When the screen goes off the device stops tracking. When you turn it back on it makes a straight line from where it turned off to where it is now.

Motion-x is awesome @Kilo427 I have always used that on my phone while riding. Now that I have the lifetime trail maps I always have that on but also rely on my phone. I had issues with my tablet the first couple times I used it. (Probably self inflicted) so I wanted to have a backup system running all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Brand loyalty is a hard thing to overcome, doesn't matter if it's off road toys, pickups, or electronics. I was forced to use an iPhone 5s some years back for work, while carrying an Android based Samsung concurrently for over 3 years. The way each operating system is setup the two devices are counter intuitive to each other in user interaction. Getting past that alone can be dammingly frustrating for the first week of use in my case I hated the iPhone as it's functions were bassackwards to what I was used to. Still through required use I mastered it begrudgingly.

That being said until the last few versions iPhones were comprised of internals made by Samsung, screens, memory, processors, cellular and WiFi chips, etc. But even with both devices having share a common components supply I would regularly get dropped calls on my iPhone as emails or other data came in, most of that has been addressed but still a problem as late as 2016.

I can also attest to what @Lifetime-Trailmaps is saying about functionality as a GPS in that all iPhones inherently use location based tracking relying equally on hitting WiFi and cellular towers to verify what the GPS chip is reading, that particular piece of hardware if far inferior to the GPS components of the Samsung devices who not only track up to 12 US lanched satellites concurrently but also track the Russian Glosnass satellite's as well for a failsafe. This provides the best possible solution for accuracy of position, tracking, and recording of routes which it what you want from a GPS solution in BFE of unfamiliar territory.

However with that functionality comes the caveats of personal privacy etc., for example with all Android devices and especially phones, they have your phone number, namely address, and all other personal information people put in them. That device tracks where you are, where you go, how long you were there, and now paying by devices how much you spent at a location, not to mention all the online search information tied into that device. This alone is the biggest reason many hate Android. But for this topic of conversation you can use a tablet for a GPS and keep it totally separate from your identity, it just takes discipline.

If privacy with Android is your concern, just completely disassociate your identity from the tablet as a GPS from your information. Do not set it up for any email accounts you have ever used on a phone do not enter contact or cell phone information, do not use the device ever to buy anything online, etc. any of those activities will link back to who you are and tie the phone and tablet usage together. For the purpose of lifetime trail maps use, create an email used only for updates keeping your identity out of it, you'll have to jump through a few hoops but it is possible. The most important thing is discipline to use the tablet only as a GPS device keeping Wi-Fi disabled 99.99% of time only turning it on for updates as little as possible.

Thats my humble take on the matter of one standard versus the other in the iOS and Android debate.I won't even get into Apple slowing down and even crippling older devices forcing buying overpriced upgrades, that's the true evil and proven fact.

As far as what @Lifetime-Trailmaps is offering, it is well worth the investment of what you get for a turn it on and it works solution. You could piecemeal together what he has assembled map wise but it would take dozens of hours of your time to do so. The service Chris provides far outweighs the initial cost of the pre loaded device and the support offered afterwards.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wow thats some serious hating right there. I mean im the biggest Harley disliker on this planet but sadly i have actually ridden a couple lmao
Actually I thought I was a serious Harley hater too. Owned several over the years but would never go back after getting hooked again on Jap and English bikes.

Reactions: sharp
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As far as what @Lifetime-Trailmaps is offering, it is well worth the investment of what you get for a turn it on and it works solution. You could piecemeal together what he has assembled map wise but it would take dozens of hours of your time to do so. The service Chris provides far outweighs the initial cost of the pre loaded device and the support offered afterwards.
Agree

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Mar 27, 2018
Dalton, GA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Great post Jackal. You are 100% correct about GPS. Also let me clarify.....you could potentially piece together a "portion" of what we have in our system but it would not be uniform with what we do with the data in our system. A good portion of our maps are proprietary and cannot be found anywhere. Some of the maps included in our system can be found online but they will never be uniform with what we are providing, ie: trail color, waypoint ID and trail number marking, etc. Secondly, I personally pledge to take care of my customers concerns, issues and provide updates as frequent as monthly. Let me know if I can help.

LTM AD 1

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Mar 27, 2018
Dalton, GA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
My experience has been great with my Apple devices in the woods. Except with ride command. When the screen goes off the device stops tracking. When you turn it back on it makes a straight line from where it turned off to where it is now.

Motion-x is awesome @Kilo427 I have always used that on my phone while riding. Now that I have the lifetime trail maps I always have that on but also rely on my phone. I had issues with my tablet the first couple times I used it. (Probably self inflicted) so I wanted to have a backup system running all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of my life mottos is "One is none, two is one." Backup plan is a MUST.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did this thread go from iPhone options to pushing android based tablets?
Whatever you do @Kilo427 let us know. I don't mind loading my ipad into mine and checking it out.

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Mar 27, 2018
Dalton, GA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It's the nature of a diplomatic discussion. Sometimes, we allow ourselves to be boxed in without complete understanding of what's available. Example: I used to be a die hard Arctic Cat loyalist until I widened my narrow minded view to the much better options out there. The boxes we place ourselves in can keep us limited and as a company whose specialty is GPS based trail mapping, I can only give factual information as to our testing.

Remember, our company is not unfairly biased and focused on "Apple versus Samsung". Our company is bout mapping data and the most reliable and efficient way to handle the mapping data. The particular device is simply the data host and we want our customers to have the most reliable hardware when venturing deep into wooded territory. I've pondered the "We got lost 18 miles deep in the woods because of weak GPS" phone calls and it's enough to make you sick thinking about it, as a business owner. That being said, we made sure we tested different equipment to provide the BEST results and that happens to be Samsung Galaxy Tablets. Hands down.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I’m just curious what everyone was doing other than android. As much justification and defensivenesss as there is about the android and Samsung above it must means something. Now begone back to your android love thread!

Anyhow I’ll have to try motion x also I was about to get a new iPad but looks they are releasing new stuff in the next few days. I for one haven’t ever had any problem with gps location on either the iPad or the iPhone.

I guess I never thought I’d say this but I’m gonna keep bucking the trend and use my Apple products? As I find better solutions and software I’ll post it on this thread.

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.