P1000 LED Whip install - wiring help

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We want to install a LED whip for the dunes. Would it be totally inadvisable to wire to the taillights? I don't think the whip draws many amps and it sure would simplify things..

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do not go to the taillights. The closest thing that I would consider going to would be the backup alarm accessory hot wire that's located under driver side rear floorboard that would give power with key and hold it you'd just have to ground it. But I would seriously run to a simple switch with a fuse at minimum myself.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We want to install a LED whip for the dunes. Would it be totally inadvisable to wire to the taillights? I don't think the whip draws many amps and it sure would simplify things..
most people try to avoid tapping into the factory wiring except at designated locations such as the back up alarm circuit that CP mentioned. you are probably correct in that the whips won't draw too much amperage, and it could probably be done, but if you ever break a whip or somehow have a short in it, it will fault your factory light system, and that would be a bad day. Its probably worth the extra effort to wire the whips with their own designated switch powered by part of your factory auxiliary system.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@txsurfer, which LED Whip set up are you using? Just...curious?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thanks guys - makes sense. I think I'll search for the back up alarm harness to start with.

Eltobgi - Think the 6' Gorilla whip with a quick release. It will be mainly used at the dunes and open riding areas.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I can tell you personally that the gorilla whips are very tough. We did finally break one but they took tremendous hits constantly

VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted my Tribal Whips whip on the rear left ROPS . I just tapped into the tail light wire and its ground. No problems. Whip is powered only when the lights are on.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted my Tribal Whips whip on the rear left ROPS . I just tapped into the tail light wire and its ground. No problems. Whip is powered only when the lights are on.

Chuck - what length whip did you go with?
- do you ride at Pismo?

VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Chuck - what length whip did you go with?
- do you ride at Pismo?
I have the six foot whip. I have never ridden at Pismo. I usually either go to California City or Spangler Hills areas. I did once make it to Mammoth Mountain, that place was great.

advertisement