Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The problems with every over sport machine is... they don’t crawl! They do great going fast.. but they don’t do slow well. That’s where the KRX shines.. it was made for places like Moab. Stock 31” tires and can go to a 35!! That’s just crazy!! The ride is fantastic... 200hp is entirely unusable on the trail. If you want to drink beer and drag race, cool. If you ride the dunes.. I get it. But for what we do and where we go. It’s pointless. I’m all for power.. but it’s not what it’s all about.
Is the krx a sport machine? Not really. Is it a utility? No. Wth is it then? It's a great platform that's good out of the box for gnarly trails. And trails in general. The next evolution of the wolverine.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I still think the KRX is the best attempt by any company for a trail ready rig straight off the lot. I’m curious what Yamaha will bring but Kawasaki pretty well nailed it for a first debut in the segment. Just my two cents!.....cuz that’s all I have right now. Lol
I’ll agree with that right now. Wolverine was the first fully trail ready imho. Didn’t need anything to beat the hell out out, just had to buy a windshield (which got broken and gone long time ago). That machine was designed years ago. Gotta feeling their next attempt will kill it, they are pretty good at Sxs’s.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll agree with that right now. Wolverine was the first fully trail ready imho. Didn’t need anything to beat the hell out out, just had to buy a windshield (which got broken and gone long time ago). That machine was designed years ago. Gotta feeling their next attempt will kill it, they are pretty good at Sxs’s.
I’m hoping they don’t kill it because I really don’t need any extra temptations in my life right now! Having said that, I hope they do kill it for y’all and I’m going to be living under a rock so just let me know when the dust clears. 😉

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’m hoping they don’t kill it because I really don’t need any extra temptations in my life right now! Having said that, I hope they do kill it for y’all and I’m going to be living under a rock so just let me know when the dust clears. 😉
That’s the only other rig I’ll consider at this point. If it’s under 64”, 90+ hp, lightweight, real transmission, lockers, good suspension, decent storage, built like the Wolverine with a factory good skid I’ll buy it instead of Talon.
That’s tough for me to say for a my own primary vehicle being a Honda guy. I’m worried it’ll be all of that and more. If so it’ll suck because I still won’t buy a new designed machine immediately even Yami, so I’d have to wait longer even.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree... There’s still not 1 machine that fits what I want and need. I want the krx with flip up rear seats.
Dito!

Reactions: JTW
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The KRX is big and heavy with enough HP to be fun. The belt drive should be as good or better then the 10 year Yamaha that will need new grease and sludge removal every 5,000 miles. We will see the 2 new Yamahas this week and I will be looking at the new Kawasaki's next month. I need a 54 inch wide sport model for our 50 inch trails and I like a small light SxS for tough rock grinding. I hate belt drive but the only other choice if a RZR and that won't happen. Honda should have more models coming but I'm too old to wait on anything.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The KRX is big and heavy with enough HP to be fun. The belt drive should be as good or better then the 10 year Yamaha that will need new grease and sludge removal every 5,000 miles. We will see the 2 new Yamahas this week and I will be looking at the new Kawasaki's next month. I need a 54 inch wide sport model for our 50 inch trails and I like a small light SxS for tough rock grinding. I hate belt drive but the only other choice if a RZR and that won't happen. Honda should have more models coming but I'm too old to wait on anything.

Ya gotta wonder who it was at Yamaha who said, "Hey, here's a great idea, let's pack our primary clutch full of grease so it can attract as much dust as possible!"🤔

Reactions: Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Tru dat. Like you, the Talon will have to do and it's representing itself well.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
People who don’t have a turbo are usually quick to say it’s useless on trails and only good for the sand, etc. I have 172hp turbo for 3000 miles in west va...before that a 100hp na sxs...there is no comparison between them on the trails...no, I can’t go 85mph on the trails but I dam sure can get from 10-60 a lot faster and funner than a na machine.

That said, we have a krx in our group and I agree it’s great for casual riding or especially crawling. Thing is a tank and very very solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Isaiah
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
People who don’t have a turbo are usually quick to say it’s useless on trails and only good for the sand, etc. I have 172hp turbo for 3000 miles in west va...before that a 100hp na sxs...there is no comparison between them on the trails...no, I can’t go 85mph on the trails but I dam sure can get from 10-60 a lot faster and funner than a na machine.

That said, we have a krx in our group and I agree it’s great for casual riding or especially crawling. Thing is a tank and very very solid.

I’d go toe to toe with any factory turbo models in my woods against my 1000-5. Hell I might sweeten the pot and let my daughter drive...
Depends where you ride.

Last edited:
advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

To clarify not to be condescending.

MOST of the trails the common posters on this thread ride....you’d never get past 30 even hammering on a turbo before you had to lock it down. There might be a few short sections or even gravel between trails that you could get to 70 but without clear lines of sight that’s also a bad idea.

Out west and up north where you have long stretches of somewhat straight not rutted trail sure but when we say “trail“ we really mean rough rutted trails, boulder fields, or rock ledges, occasionally mud if it’s in the way. Turbo ain’t gonna help you there, it’s crawling and choosing lines and the machine setup. These are not green or blue bunny trails, and there’s usually 3-4 days of gear with us.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

But on trails, neither can you go 60. At least not on the kinda trials we are referring to, that basically is the width of the machine.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
To clarify not to be condescending.

MOST of the trails the common posters on this thread ride....you’d never get past 30 even hammering on a turbo before you had to lock it down. There might be a few short sections or even gravel between trails that you could get to 70 but without clear lines of sight that’s also a bad idea.

Out west and up north where you have long stretches of somewhat straight not rutted trail sure but when we say “trail“ we really mean rough rutted trails, boulder fields, or rock ledges, occasionally mud if it’s in the way. Turbo ain’t gonna help you there, it’s crawling and choosing lines and the machine setup. These are not green or blue bunny trails, and there’s usually 3-4 days of gear with us.
Do you need to carry extra fuel/how much? for 3-4 days or are distances too short/rough for needing extra fuel?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you need to carry extra fuel/how much? for 3-4 days or are distances too short/rough for needing extra fuel?
Oh yeah, extra fuel is normally required. Just came back from Tackett Creek, where I carried extra 5 gal. for 3 day trip. Made it to town the 2nd day and filled up, just before running out, but still had the 5 gals. The 3rd day put the 5 gals in P1K before heading out, did not quite fill it up.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe this is a stupid thought and maybe out of place but if I had to spend much more money to get a good rock crawling SXS that would hold 4 people I would just build up an old Jeep, I have seen built up Jeeps with 4 wheel lockers go places that I don't think any SXS would have a chance and You can drive it down the road with a license plate from any State,,, just my thoughts if I was going to get much more aggressive in the 4x4 I think that is the route I would go,,,,,We where riding last week with 4 Turbo RZR`S a Can Am 2 Pioneer`s and a Gentleman with a built up Cherokee and the Cherokee done better on Crawling than anyone and at the end of the day He drove it to the restaurant with His Family We had to go back to camp and get the truck,,,,, :)

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Every time I see a thread talking about turbos I imagine @Hondasxs running the piss out of it.
Turbo is glowing orange hot and it looks like a giant rock light in the engine bay.
Crosses the river on the way to the Eternal Flame at Royal Blue and submerges the thing.
When the housing contracts is a boiling rage of cold water poured on the flames of hell how fast is that little turbine wheel going to be spinning?

Im an engineer, but not a turbo expert, never ran the number but would love to see the test.

G

gtsum2

Apr 28, 2019
Moseley
Notice I said west va. Those are the trails we ride. Some are right and slow going and yes, turbo is worthless there...turn right onto a different trail and you can hit 50 easily.

aauman88

aauman88

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe this is a stupid thought and maybe out of place but if I had to spend much more money to get a good rock crawling SXS that would hold 4 people I would just build up an old Jeep, I have seen built up Jeeps with 4 wheel lockers go places that I don't think any SXS would have a chance and You can drive it down the road with a license plate from any State,,, just my thoughts if I was going to get much more aggressive in the 4x4 I think that is the route I would go,,,,,We where riding last week with 4 Turbo RZR`S a Can Am 2 Pioneer`s and a Gentleman with a built up Cherokee and the Cherokee done better on Crawling than anyone and at the end of the day He drove it to the restaurant with His Family We had to go back to camp and get the truck,,,,, :)

That’s why I’m leaning to a Roxor. Think it will be the sweet spot

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Notice I said west va. Those are the trails we ride. Some are right and slow going and yes, turbo is worthless there...turn right onto a different trail and you can hit 50 easily.

In the post I quoted you ..... #538, you did NOT make mention of WV.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s why I’m leaning to a Roxor. Think it will be the sweet spot
I looked at one of those Roxor's just last weekend down where we were riding and was not impressed at all, for the money You would have in one of those You would be better off with an old jeep build,,,,,,,

Reactions: JTW and BigOL3
advertisement