Kilo and JTW’s epic two week adventure!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Most certainly!! I’d like to get a group overland together next year. Maybe a combo family ride and a day or two guys overland trip? I need to get the kids out!

Lol.. I see the second set of ledges there got ya. I was in the same boat without the flip. It just powered out before it makes it. It truly infuriates me!! Working on fixing that though...
So the 1000 powers out? What does it do?
I wouldn't expect that from a 1000 with a low range unless you were running really big tires.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wouldn't expect that from a 1000 with a low range unless you were running really big tires.
Higher elevations it’s been known to. I’ve had a couple times where you can’t get r’s spooled enough that same thing can happen.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
You loose 3% HP for every 1,000' in elevation. 10,000' = -30%. Even at 1000' with big, heavy 30's is borderline on power.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You loose 3% HP for every 1,000' in elevation. 10,000' = -30%. Even at 1000' with big, heavy 30's is borderline on power.
When I was in Colorado at about 8,000 ft...ish....not quite sure....but I was guessing it felt like I had about 30% less power. I s'pose I wasn't too far off.

Is 3% a scientific number or more of something that's just agreed upon from experience?

What's the best way to resolve that issue cause it really sucks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
When I was in Colorado at about 8,000 ft...ish....not quite sure....but I was guessing it felt like I had about 30% less power. I s'pose I wasn't too far off.

Is 3% a scientific number or more of something that's just agreed upon from experience?

It's scientific. Easy way to help the issue is BOOST haha, N2O works great also, for a couple seconds if lucky.

Press

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Even with IGR I noticed a significant loss of power at elevation, although some of that probably is my air filter I’m sure it is quite dirty from Moab as well.

I have seen JTWs rig run out of power many times on obstacles he has to approach them at some speed often times. If he only knew a friend that could do the IGR for him.

I have a lot or video and pictures from Colorado I will upload, I wish I would have had everything set up in Moab like I did Colorado but now I’m prepared. Just gotta fix everything that was broken now and I can’t wait to go again!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Even with IGR I noticed a significant loss of power at elevation, although some of that probably is my air filter I’m sure it is quite dirty from Moab as well.

I have seen JTWs rig run out of power many times on obstacles he has to approach them at some speed often times. If he only knew a friend that could do the IGR for him.

I have a lot or video and pictures from Colorado I will upload, I wish I would have had everything set up in Moab like I did Colorado but now I’m prepared. Just gotta fix everything that was broken now and I can’t wait to go again!

"I wish I would have had everything set up in Moab like I did Colorado" What did you do different ?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Higher elevations it’s been known to. I’ve had a couple times where you can’t get r’s spooled enough that same thing can happen.
So it's like a big, expensive 700:p
Trust me...i used to own a 700. It's in a video titled "Altitude sickness". I am familiar with the concept.:D

The actual formula isn't linear, but 3% is a good approximation.

So you're saying @JTW's is worse than most?
Seems like several people here have commented on the inconsistent nature of 1000's from machine to machine.

I remember some complaints of low range being high on the 1000. Is it really that high? I'd probably never go over 1 size bigger on tires, if I had one.

I keep thinking about getting another 700...but then I remember what it did at high elevations. I've had enough of watching pioneers sit on a steep face, foot to the floor, tires not moving. I thought the 1000 was immune to this...but maybe not.

J

JTW

So it's like a big, expensive 700:p

Trust me...i used to own a 700. It's in a video titled "Altitude sickness". I am familiar with the concept.:D

The actual formula isn't linear, but 3% is a good approximation.

So you're saying @JTW's is worse than most?
Seems like several people here have commented on the inconsistent nature of 1000's from machine to machine.

I remember some complaints of low range being high on the 1000. Is it really that high? I'd probably never go over 1 size bigger on tires, if I had one.

I keep thinking about getting another 700...but then I remember what it did at high elevations. I've had enough of watching pioneers sit on a steep face, foot to the floor, tires not moving. I thought the 1000 was immune to this...but maybe not.
Immune? No.. but it’s waaay better just heavy ass 30’s at elevation kills the crawl

advertisement
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I will have damage reports and final reviews including how vendors support products as far as damage and replacements in the coming days

advertisement