Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think RF 1001 is the closest by dimensions to what you have used

D

Deleted member 3748

I think RF 1001 is the closest by dimensions to what you have used
I saw a few dry chargers that have open tops. I agree the RF 1001 looks like the right size, but I wonder what this means
Footnote 1 Base Has 19/32" Vent

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It works!!!
IMG 20161111 182343419 HDR
IMG 20161111 182324977
IMG 20161111 182319113
IMG 20161111 182111559
IMG 20161111 182105273

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

J

Jshell3

I don't understand. What's the purpose for cutting off airflow around the filter? Or is the liner material breathable with an advantage reduction of particle size?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it breathable , KN came i guess to trap bigger particles with high flow filter

advertisement
D

Deleted member 3748

I don't understand. What's the purpose for cutting off airflow around the filter? Or is the liner material breathable with an advantage reduction of particle size?
Just in case you didn't know... the clear plastic will be removed.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I showed it right out of the box, sorry

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have not installed it yet. Just cut my front shock mounts , will try to put it today. Another thing that p500 exhaust restricted by opening pipe, I think I will open it at leat to 1.5"

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I decided to try the K&N air filter. I've had good luck with them on everything else in the past and this should be no different. But, I'll keep an eye on it in the coming weeks and report back if I see any debris getting to the inside of the filter.

This is what comes in the box. (1) air filter, (2) 90 degree elbows, and (1) tube for the crankcase vent.

View attachment 20075

Installation was super easy. This is how I did it...

1) Clean the air box before removing the stock air filter so none of the crap falls inside.

View attachment 20076

2) Remove stock air filter and set the hose clamp and the plastic holder aside. You will reuse them with the K&N filter.

3) Locate the crankcase breather tube on the driver side of the air box. Remove the plastic collar from the end of the tube. If you pull on it, you'll just be pulling the breather tube. I got my fingernails underneath the lip and pried it out while holding the tube with my other hand. Collar is pictured below.

View attachment 20077 View attachment 20078

4) Install one of the 90 degree elbows into the end of the breather tube. The end that had the collar you just removed.
5) Connect the K&N supplied hose to that elbow.

View attachment 20079

6) Install the hose clamp over the opening in the air box. The K&N filter fits inside of this opening. I don't like that the air filter goes inside of the opening but it shouldn't be a problem... I just wish it went around the opening to provide a better shield against debris getting past the filter.

View attachment 20080

7) Install the other 90 degree elbow into the top of the filter, then connect the hose to that elbow. You now have a hose connected between the crankcase breather elbow and the elbow in the top of the filter.

View attachment 20081

8) Install the filter into the air box with the flat metal side facing the driver side. Tighten the hose clamp and make sure filter is secure. Check the hose fittings at each elbow and check the elbows to be sure everything is inserted properly.

View attachment 20082

9) The filter has grooves in the top that match the grooves in the top of the air box. Insert the plastic holder making sure it's in the grooves of the filter and the air box.

View attachment 20083

And you're done. Total time was about 15 minutes, including photos.

Did it today, but I ended reversing step 8 and 9, and inserted plastic top holder to align and hold filter and then tighten hose clamp.

Also installed it with KN pre filter .

I did not clean my air filter for about 500 miles, it was super nasty inside, and all dust was sticky and oily , I'm thinking of relocating air intake to reduce choking all the dust and installing intake filter.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
So, after some of you have use the K&N air filter from some time what are the pro and cons? I don't much care for the stock filter put if the K&N does a good job I would buy one in spite of the Price. The thing that bothers me is its not a 360 degree filter and solid on the one side, does that hose replacement add enough air to make a difference and has anyone use the outerware cover on their filters?

D

Deleted member 3748

Good timing with your question as I just did my first filter wash 10 minutes ago. I forgot when I put it on but it had to be 400-500 miles ago. I haven't noticed any cons except for the filter flange going inside the intake tube. I really wish it was outside. You have to clean the airbox the best you can before you remove the filter to prevent debris from falling down the intake tube. I wiped out the intake tube with a clean, oiled cloth to remove anything that may have made it's way in there.

As @solrus said above, the intake tube needs to be relocated, but that is the case with any filter you use. The air box was a mess! I'm going to be snorkeling in the near future just because of the sand.

So... on to the first filter wash. (next post)

D

Deleted member 3748

Have a group ride next week and I decided I should check the air filter. I think it's been 400-500 miles since I installed the K&N and this is the first cleaning.

Outside of the air box

Inside of the air box was a mess

I cleaned it out the best I could before removing the filter. The filter was also a mess, but that's a good thing.
3 4

The inside of the filter is as clean as the day I installed it.
5 6 7

There is still a lot of sand and dust behind the filter that I couldn't get to with the filter in place. This is the reason I'll be snorkeling soon.

I put a ziploc bag over the intake tube and installed the filter clamp to help hold it in place. I used the bristle attachment on the Shop Vac so I didn't accidentally suck the bag off with the vacuum. I also held the bag down with my fingers while I carefully vacuumed.

After
9 1

The filter cleaned up real nice. I can't oil it until it dries... tomorrow.

10 12 13

advertisement