Not open for further replies.
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The gap around the standard factory doors is normal. I'm going to be putting automotive weather stripping around mine for this winter. We primarily use ours for trail riding and property maintenance. I went with CEC enclosures and it works well in slow trail riding, but there's too many gaps from Honda to seal up and be warm at higher speeds. I installed a hotbox heater on the floor and it does ok. I did a lot of research on here before purchasing the pioneer and all accessories. As others have mentioned, and you found out, Honda definitely dropped the ball on utility features compared to dedicated utility machines. Kubota, John Deere, Polaris and Can Am all have better cab's and heaters/AC than Honda's. I'm afraid you'll probably be happier with one of them for strictly plowing. You may find the Pioneer to be more fun and capable than your jeep though

I plow with my Rancher because it's much more maneuverable around the buildings than the P1K5 and I already had it set up.

20191104 165744

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Appreciate the advice. Bottom line in this situation will be what the dealer finally ends up doing. As I stated before I can't believe they are going to apply my costs to another machine. Guess time will tell. If the offer is smoke and mirrors I will keep the P1000 and just deal with the inherent BS with the machine and accessories. But if the stars align and the I don't get stuck eating a loss, the Honda and I will part ways for the Can Am Defender Limited. And I frankly blame myself for this situation. I did not do my due diligence on the total package rather than just the drive line. And I know better! Like they say knowledge is power and I didn't do my homework. Thanks again.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Appreciate the advice. Bottom line in this situation will be what the dealer finally ends up doing. As I stated before I can't believe they are going to apply my costs to another machine. Guess time will tell. If the offer is smoke and mirrors I will keep the P1000 and just deal with the inherent BS with the machine and accessories. But if the stars align and the I don't get stuck eating a loss, the Honda and I will part ways for the Can Am Defender Limited. And I frankly blame myself for this situation. I did not do my due diligence on the total package rather than just the drive line. And I know better! Like they say knowledge is power and I didn't do my homework. Thanks again.
Current member @CptOvo has a YouTube site. He is a former 500 owner (pretty sure he sold it), but he just purchased a Defender with full cab and heater, and has done a couple of videos with it...

Mini review...

Overnight camping (only a little about the machine)...

Reactions: Plumber32 and lee
D

Dasmoeturhead

I have a 2016 p3 that's a friggin Anvil. I haven't had to do a single thing to it. I plow snow on a very steep 1/8 mile driveway that is all gravel. I also plow my neighbors driveways. After heavy rains I push gravel to cover up ruts in my drive which is way harder on the machine than the white fluffy stuff. It has never overheated, and the single battery has never died.
I use this thing all year long around my property (heavy use) like pulling logs, hauling heavy stuff up my steep 10 acres. I also run it into town once a week for a dump run (13 miles round trip). I use and abuse her all the time. It starts on the 2nd rotation even in the Winter. It's never even been close to a Honda shop for repairs. I would buy it again over any machine out there, and it doesn't sound like a snow mobile going down the road.
Those other brands sure do look nice with those full cab enclosures, and whatnot, but i reckon my Honda will still be doing its job on the property long after the others are in the junk yard, but hey if you don't like yours you should get rid of it. You should be happy and comfortable in your machine.

I don't drive my Pioneer, I wear it.
Cheers, and good luck on your decision.

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's good to know! I have never doubted the longevity of Honda equipment. That's why I bought it. But truth be told my machine will sit idle for 6 months of the year except for the occasional run to the orchard and such. I was hoping someone had purchased the Honda full hard doors and could report how the fitment and function are on those rather spendy additions. Thanks for your perspective.

L

laudy

Nov 1, 2019
United States
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On oct 29th i did the exact opposite,,, i traded my 2014 can am commander for the new 2019 p1000-5. I got tired of hearing the engine wrap at just 30 mph,,, listened to alot of others and the same story. I also wanted something quieter. I have always known that belts are great for idle power,,, (ie, fans, power steering , water pumps.) But belts will not be long lived at transmitting power such as transmissions and high torgue. Now i didnt say that wont work,,,,, you put your on thoughts on what "long lived" is..... they just wont hang in there as long as a fluid drive transmission. If you dont mind the maintenance of checking and servicing the belt, well,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe the belt drive is for you,,,,, i felt if belt drive transmissions were the way to go, ford, chevy, kenworth, and others would have put belts on their trannys years ago..... just my opinion but i've been wrong many times before. Cant kick the can am, it was a great ride just wanted to try the pioneer. I have a 2006 rincon with 4800 miles on it, no probs.

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I seriously considered getting a Bobcat with a bucket. Not sure what changed my mind. Local John Deere dealer is an ass...bought my lawn tractor from him. Never again. Probably in hindsight I should have done things differently but what is done is done. So I shall see how this saga plays out. Still waiting to hear from my Honda dealer.

Reactions: Dasmoeturhead
advertisement
D

Dasmoeturhead

That's good to know! I have never doubted the longevity of Honda equipment. That's why I bought it. But truth be told my machine will sit idle for 6 months of the year except for the occasional run to the orchard and such. I was hoping someone had purchased the Honda full hard doors and could report how the fitment and function are on those rather spendy additions. Thanks for your perspective.
Honda definitely dropped the ball on most of the accesories. I wouldn't fault anybody who wanted a warm and toasty full cab to plow snow in. My pal up the holler has the Honda soft doors, hard roof and hard rear panel on his p1k, and he hasn't complained about cold since he got it, but the fitment in my opinion sucks. I still wish I at least had that level of comfort in mine. Friggin toes, and hands freeze in the winter when doing bascicly anything in the cold
I've seen those other brands with comfy looking full cabs. They look nice.
Hope your hip heals up quick, so no matter what machine you end up with, gets you out in your new SXS and having fun.

Last edited:
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
@Savoy did you get the latest generation of Honda soft doors? I thought they updated them and they were a much better fit now. Thought a member or two commented on them but I cannot remember what thread that was in.

I found the part number for the Gen 2 Upper Soft Doors - 0SR90-HL4-212A. Check your receipt :D

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Long story short. Just got my 2020 P1000-3 from the local dealer. Had the heater, windshield, rear panal, soft half door, wiper system, winch, moose plow installed. All Honda parts. Primary purpose for the purchase was to plow snow here on the tundra. The parts look like afterthoughts. And they don't fit worth crap. There are gaps of of an inch or more around the sides of the doors, the heater is a joke, and the machine seems to struggle just to start. Dealer will refund on trade total purchase price on a new 2020 CanAm Defender Limited. I haven't seen the new defender, but from the videos it seems to be a much more complete package than the Pioneer. I bought the Honda for the transmission, but will live with a belt system if the rest of the machine is more integrated than the slapped together system offered by Honda. So convince me that I should keep the pioneer rather than trade for the Can Am. Thanks in advance.
Do what you wish but hear me when I tell you that the only thing you’re gaining is a better cab kit. I’m just trying to be honest, I just picked up my 2019 P1K5D about three weeks ago and it starts the same way you’re talking about, I doesn’t hardly have to turn when it’s warmed up though. My uncle lives in Wyoming and he works with several guys that have spent 20-27k on decked out defenders and had them in the shop more than out on the trail or using them. Just my 2 cents. I hope you are pleased with whatever you get and sorry that you feel let down by the Honda.

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, update. Talked with Honda dealer this afternoon. And he again stated that they will stand behind whatever I ultimately decide to do. Just an interesting aside, the honda shop uses a Can Am defender as their plow unit for clearing the property. Not sure what that says. Again, if I could get the cab to seal, even if it took buying the complete hard door system I would keep the P1000 and get on with life. I have not heard from anyone on the forum who has the complete doors as of yet. I hate to spend the $2700 plus installation fees for another half assed door. Yes, I have the second generation soft doors. And they don't fit for crap. The Honda sales manager also asked if I want to continue with the Moose quick detach plow system or go to something else if I change machines. Moose system is not as heavy duty as the Can Am plow I had on the Outlander. Just something else to throw in the mix. The CanAm won't land until January. In the mean time I guarentee there will be snow on the concrete that has to be moved. Life doesn't have to be this complicated. Thanks for the opinions.

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
At this point don't really care what the machine says on the front just so it does what it is supposed to do.

Reactions: 0860silverado
J

JTW

At this point don't really care what the machine says on the front just so it does what it is supposed to do.
Why not a tractor with loader or a more robust machine like the Kubota?

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As I said, for whatever reason I dismissed that idea. Not sure why either. Maybe because I thought the UTV would be more versatile. I really don't have a valid explanation.

J

JTW

As I said, for whatever reason I dismissed that idea. Not sure why either. Maybe because I thought the UTV would be more versatile. I really don't have a valid explanation.
If this is strictly for snow pushing like you originally said... that’s exactly the route I would go. Hell for that matter a skid steer would be awesome!

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.