P500 IT'S HERE! - New Pioneer 520 released...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The air filter is on top and exposed when the bed is tilted back.
For a big fat dude like me, that might actually be harder. Will probably make the valves easier, though.

Wonder why they decided to dump the rear sway bar? Well...I mean, I know WHY they did it, but that makes you question why it was ever there to start with.

UpnorthP5

UpnorthP5

Sep 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
So is my roof, windows and doors off the 500 going to fit? Looks like it should?

Reactions: 500oneer
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Cool looking rig and dump box looks thought out. Not to be a wet wool blanket... no power steering and can’t really tell if tranny is same or different, no front locker and glove box? I mean by not having these options sure supports aftermarket vendors, which is great as the’ve taken the risk, developed etc etc. No rear anti sway, that’s a cost saving for Honda really. Will be interesting to see what gear ratios are on this 520. Suffice to say for my needs my little ‘15 Dozer will remain in our stable for some time. Geeez come on Honda... do better.
Kay crawling under my Kevlar fire proof blanket now...

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Cool looking rig and dump box looks thought out. Not to be a wet wool blanket... no power steering and can’t really tell if tranny is same or different, no front locker and glove box? I mean by not having these options sure supports aftermarket vendors, which is great as the’ve taken the risk, developed etc etc. No rear anti sway, that’s a cost saving for Honda really. Will be interesting to see what gear ratios are on this 520. Suffice to say for my needs my little ‘15 Dozer will remain in our stable for some time. Geeez come on Honda... do better.
Kay crawling under my Kevlar fire proof blanket now...
I think it's a pricing issue and not a haven't thought about it issue.

Yes, I would pay extra for the goodies, but the majority wouldn't.

M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I think it's a pricing issue and not a haven't thought about it issue.

Yes, I would pay extra for the goodies, but the majority wouldn't.
Totally agree with you on the pricing issue. In the spirit and intent of being an entry level model I believe Honda is trying to be somewhat true to it's main selling point of "bang for the buck." What makes more sense to me would be phase out the P500 and offer a P520 and P520 Deluxe. The Deluxe would have the power steering, locker, more susp travel, improved seating, and factory winch. I agree with how Honda has spec'd the new P520 to keep the price down as realistically how many people have a genuine need for the locker and power steering? I do however feel the locker is probably the most important initial upgrade to address capability and performance.

That said I will not even remotely consider trading or selling my P500 for a P520 anytime soon. It is setup perfectly to work for me in what I use it for. It works hard and plays hard and I could not be happier with it. Now, I do admit I am extremely envious of the new dump bed!

Last edited:
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
My P500 is set up perfectly too, and I love it, but there are times I wish for more power. I'm super curious about the new shocks and transmission.

advertisement
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
The transmission tweaks are what Im the most excited about. I could take or leave the dump bed as I don't see myself needing to 'dump' very much. The bed itself is welcome but I do wish it were bigger.

Ultimately, I will get one come January as I've been holding out for one. It's a bit underwhelming but I understand why they did it. Perhaps we will see a Deluxe model next year.

Anyways, let the modding commence.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wonder why they decided to dump the rear sway bar? Well...I mean, I know WHY they did it, but that makes you question why it was ever there to start with.

Just a guess, but I'm thinking those new tires provide some additional sidewall support and reduce roll? This might have let them remove the sway bar and still meet their criteria (whatever that is?). They also mentioned new shocks or something in the promo video.

Reactions: Mudder and Arizona
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the looks, but man I was hoping for a locker. I would have seriously bought one to go with my Talon x2 if they had done the locker. My son is old enough to drive one now, and we have a rzr170 for him. I ride around in it with him and it is brutal on my back LOL. Assuming he could reach everything on the p500, that would be way more comfortable for me to ride in, plus I could play with it too!

A

adventure1

Nov 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm excited to learn more about this updated machine...
Hello Im new to this forum as of today. I just yesterday ordered a new 520 which is suppose to be delivered in January 21. I am not totally unfamiliar with the Pioneer line as my son has had a 100-5 for a few years now. Will post experiences with the unit once I am able to.

gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm glad they added the dump bed. I agree they look better with it and I think they will sell more units. The biggest things I was interested in was the new motor, different transmission, suspension changes, front locker, rear locker. The new motor only adds 1.3HP so I don't think that will be noticeable. I'm anxious to see the dimensions of the bed. I think the aluminum bed I added is bigger so I will probably keep my 500. Plus, I ordered some Elka shocks which should be here in about 2 weeks. I'm hoping that will be a nice addition to my 500.

IMG 5568

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm glad they added the dump bed. I agree they look better with it and I think they will sell more units. The biggest things I was interested in was the new motor, different transmission, suspension changes, front locker, rear locker. The new motor only adds 1.3HP so I don't think that will be noticeable. I'm anxious to see the dimensions of the bed. I think the aluminum bed I added is bigger so I will probably keep my 500. Plus, I ordered some Elka shocks which should be here in about 2 weeks. I'm hoping that will be a nice addition to my 500.

View attachment 233858
The Pioneers don't come with shocks, you will need special brackets, just BSing they do come with the brackets though, you will like the real shocks!

Reactions: Mudder
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Hello Im new to this forum as of today. I just yesterday ordered a new 520 which is suppose to be delivered in January 21. I am not totally unfamiliar with the Pioneer line as my son has had a 100-5 for a few years now. Will post experiences with the unit once I am able to.

Howdy from Oklahoma and welcome to the forum. Looking foward to your review after you get it. I will probably keep mine till the wheels fall off, but if both the P500 and the P520 were available when I bought mine, I think i might have paid the difference and got the 520. I could sure use the dump bed.

Mrmachinist

Mrmachinist

Oct 18, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Well crap I guess I was a few weeks early buying my 2020. Luckily I didn’t pay retail. I would have loved the dump bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement