P1000 Is anyone unhappy with their hard doors?

J

JoshInReno

Oct 4, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm about at my wits end trying to chose some doors for my 1000-5.

I thought I had settled on the Honda soft doors, but when I spoke to the service manager at the dealership (of whom I've known for several decades) he had no shortage of stories of unhappy customers. Mainly doors being damaged while being trailered down the highway. It should be noted that he wasn't trying to sell me on another option.

So now I'm wondering if the Seizmik doors are an option. But there seems to be a question as to whether or not they will work with my combination of Honda roof, Honda mid-panel and Superatv glass windshield.

I guess my last option is to pony up for the Honda hard doors but even then I'm not sure they will work with the windshield I have!

Reactions: NewHere2 and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
First, what windshield do you have?

Second, not sure who hes talking with? But obviously not people here cuz people have been very happy with the Honda soft doors. Unless they are talking about The Gen 1 soft doors? But that was 16-17 early18 stuff. They were bad! I had a set on my 16’, they couldnt stop a fart much less the wind. Search “Honda soft doors” up top and you will get the opinions/testimonials your asking here.

Third, going bad trailering? Yea if you dont know how to trailer your rig with soft doors🤷🏻‍♂
I trailer mine every other weekend 3 hrs to my cabin and back sometimes in higher than average winds and they are still👌🏼 just have to follow the directions! 😉

Last edited:
J

JoshInReno

Oct 4, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First, what windshield do you have?

Second, not sure who hes talking with? But obviously not people here cuz people have been very happy with the Honda soft doors. Unless they are talking about The Gen 1 soft doors? But that was 16-17 early18 stuff. They were bad! I had a set on my 16’, they couldnt stop a fart much less the wind. Search “Honda soft doors” up top and you will get the opinions/testimonials your asking here.

Third, going bad trailering? Yea if you dont know how to trailer your rig with soft doors🤷🏻‍♂
I trailer mine every other weekend 3 hrs to my cabin and back sometimes in higher than average winds and they are still👌🏼 just have to follow the directions! 😉

I have the Superatv solid glass windshield. Not sure if there is more info I can provide but I could check the receipt for a part number if needed.

I wasnt aware there are specific instructions for trailering with the soft doors. What are they, if you don't mind me asking?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have the Superatv solid glass windshield. Not sure if there is more info I can provide but I could check the receipt for a part number if needed.

I wasnt aware there are specific instructions for trailering with the soft doors. What are they, if you don't mind me asking?
Nope, the SATV glass is all we need. Thats goona seal the best over the SATV flip. So your good there. Any door should work.

As for trailering with soft doors. Best to unzip and remove the windows or keep them zipped up. But would also recommend to pull your rig forward (nose pointing the way your truck is) so the wind flows around the rig.
If you pull it on backwards and have the windows on it can cause a trap like a parachute and you could have issues.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
I've got a set of Honda soft doors on Donkey 2.0 (P1K3), I had them given to me by another member. I believe they are Gen 2 (definitely not Gen 1) but they are pretty much garbage, I'm glad I didn't pay for them. They work OK-ish but for the money there are better options. They fit like schit, with some mods, bending & welding I've made them better but they're still pretty much crap like all of Honda's soft doors. I only trailer in an enclosed so I can't speak to that but the tags on the door say not to trailer with them in place so you'd need to pop them out to open trailer them.

FWIW, I also had a set of Honda soft doors on my Talon that fell apart after 3 seasons so I have a CEC enclosure on it now.

Last edited:
S

Scamih

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like my soft Honda doors. I unzip them and roll them down and snap them down. I trailer 6 hours to Tennessee once a year. I trailer like Remington pointing toward truck.

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the honda hard doors. They open, they close, the windows go up and down. Are they worth $3700, no but they are what they are. The way the doors are designed I sure think they would work with just about any windshield. They seal against the roof and roll cage.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
FWIW, I also had a set of Honda soft doors on my Talon that fell apart after 3 seasons so I have a CEC enclosure on it now.
I had the CEC on my Talon and Switched to the Honda ones almost 2yrs Couldn't be happier.

• Haha
Reactions: NewHere2 and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
I had the CEC on my Talon and Switched to the Honda ones almost 2yrs Couldn't be happier.
Ironic.....ain't it 🤣

Be careful w the zippers, it's easy for them to get fubared, then it's not cost effective to repair

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ironic.....ain't it 🤣

Be careful w the zippers, it's easy for them to get fubared, then it's not cost effective to repair
Haha yeah I was thinking the same thing.
i spray silicone on the zippers with hope to save them🤞🏻

Reactions: NewHere2
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haha yeah I was thinking the same thing.
i spray silicone on the zippers with hope to save them🤞🏻
I've enjoyed the soft doors as I think they do what they are intended to do and couldn't afford the hard doors. I regularly trailer mine and haven't had any trouble with hauling them closed. When I have my back doors on I use a bungee cord to hook both doors together in the middle because they are separate from the upper doors. I chose the honda doors as I didn't like the idea of having to unzip the doors to get out like some of the other had and the sezimek doors looked to attach to the doors with some Velcro which I didn't know if it would hold up. As far as the zippers I find the ones on the doors are pretty good but the ones on the rear fabric mid panel and rear panel were awful. I broke them and sewed some new ones in. They didn't last much longer so I finally took them to a outdoor upholstery shop that works on boat covers and canvas wall tents. They upgraded the zippers and recommended to clean the zippers with just some soap and water and a toothbrush. He said most anything else will attract dirt and make a tough situation even worse. I usually used the spray silicone but I will try the soap and water next time. My biggest complaint with the honda soft doors was the lack of a place to put on side mirrors, but I have been working on a fix for that. Have a good day.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I've enjoyed the soft doors as I think they do what they are intended to do and couldn't afford the hard doors. I regularly trailer mine and haven't had any trouble with hauling them closed. When I have my back doors on I use a bungee cord to hook both doors together in the middle because they are separate from the upper doors. I chose the honda doors as I didn't like the idea of having to unzip the doors to get out like some of the other had and the sezimek doors looked to attach to the doors with some Velcro which I didn't know if it would hold up. As far as the zippers I find the ones on the doors are pretty good but the ones on the rear fabric mid panel and rear panel were awful. I broke them and sewed some new ones in. They didn't last much longer so I finally took them to a outdoor upholstery shop that works on boat covers and canvas wall tents. They upgraded the zippers and recommended to clean the zippers with just some soap and water and a toothbrush. He said most anything else will attract dirt and make a tough situation even worse. I usually used the spray silicone but I will try the soap and water next time. My biggest complaint with the honda soft doors was the lack of a place to put on side mirrors, but I have been working on a fix for that. Have a good day.
I assume you have a P1?
On my Talon, @906UP gave me the ida he did with a metal bracket inside the door then deilled a hole in the beacket through the door to attach the mirrors. Its worked very well. Maybe the same set up will work on a P1

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the P1 with the Gen 2 honda doors. I came up with an aluminum bracket a few years ago to attach to the door frame, so the mirrors can attach to the door. I have been working on making a 3d version to help more people out as the aluminum ones take a little while to make. I've been trying to come up with a better design and have a few people trying them out. I'll see how they hold up, but hopefully soon.

S

Scamih

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve never heard of that, tx for the tip @Vikes79 I just ordered some off Amazon.

Reactions: NewHere2
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
J

JoshInReno

Oct 4, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update:

I went with the current version of the soft doors. Had the dealer install them when the machine was there for something else. Also went with the OE soft mid-panel.

They're ok. Definitely an improvement on the dust situation but I'm not really impressed on the install and having to lift the doors up so much to close them.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
May need the change door bushings or adjust the catch on the doors.
Definately.
And the hold down bolt with the knob, inside the fabric, that bolts them to the rivnut in the door.
That one aligns the upper fabric with the opening.
They're not great but can be adjusted to fit better.
Tighten the set screws on the inside door panel last. JMO.

Last edited:
advertisement