Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I used to work in the gas station business, 'ALL' tanks that fuel is stored in have a small amount of water in them. Especially the tanks in the ground, majority is from condensation!
If any of you guys remimber seeing attendants using a stick to measure fuel levels in tanks. There was also a paste material on the end of the stick to monitor the amount of water in the bottom af the tank. The pumps are not pulling off the bottom of the tank. The problem comes when you buy fuel after the tanks has been resupplied. The water and contaminants become stirred up. Just FYI you should NOT buy fuel while a transport is there dropping fuel!!!!
I have also seen a couple time when a stations personel were stealing fuel and adding water to the tank to compensate for the loss of fuel!!!!
So fuel stabilizer, Heet and continuous full tanks is the best defense in your opinion???

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
So fuel stabilizer, Heet and continuous full tanks is the best defense in your opinion???
I'm not a guy that believes to much in fuel additives. As far as I know you have to add alcohol to fuel to help with removal. Or does it just raise the octane to allow it to be run through the engine better? I feel the old fuel bowel was the best method to monitor and remove water from a fuel system.
Dlnt all the big 3 Truck manufacturers still have a drainable water separator on there fuel filters?;)

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV
If I were to have a major problem with water in my tank, I would probly try and add some type of drain on the bottom of the fuel tank. Then I could drain any contaminants from the tank.
Just my .02

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm not a guy that believes to much in fuel additives.
Well that’s s bit disconcerting coming from a guy who was in the fuel business. So Heet claims it mixes with water and enables it to burn thru. You would consider that problematic??

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If I were to have a major problem with water in my tank, I would probly try and add some type of drain on the bottom of the fuel tank. Then I could drain any contaminants from the tank.
Just my .02
My boat has a spin on fuel separator. Wonder if something like that could be adopted?

Reactions: Tramguage1
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'd like to know if this is a common problem or a few here and there type problem. Can you see or check for this? I have a 700, are things the same there also? This might be that final excuse for a snake camera that I've been looking for.

H

HondaTech

I don’t recall that and I have a 2016. I have an appointment with my dealer to drop mine off after the holiday for the clutch, cabin comfort, air intake, muffler guard and whatever else needs to be done and should add that to the list. Would you happen to know the recall notice number on that?

There isn't any actual notice for this, it was just mentioned in a monthly tech newsletter for us to do if the symptoms came up.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
i know this might cause some feathers to be ruffled... but here it goes. i used to work for a fuel tank supplier to the big 3 along with a handful of other OEM's. we did have special fuel pumps that would go into flex fuel vehicles that required all stainless steel to be used in pumps springs etc. keep in mind that flex fuel is E85 or 15% ethanol give or take on the mix and time of year. E90 or regular fuel only contains around 10% ethanol. Ethanol is not exactly the spawn of Satan when it comes to fuels. Case in point "moisture in fuel". People who run strictly ethanol free gasoline for longer periods of time and allow their machine to sit will often times experience rough running for short periods of time and extreme cases no starts. this is due to the hydrocarbon based fuel being hydrophobic. water separates and settles to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump draws obviously water doesnt aid in combustion so you get rough running symptoms until which point the fuel begins to mix and you begin getting gasoline instead of water into the system. If you are one of these people who only uses ethanol free gas what will happen is over time the water content will become more and more. this is where ethanol comes in. ethanol will absorb water in the fuel tank and being an alcohol will burn. in short if you are going to run ethanol free gas all the time it would be beneficial to run a tank or regular gas through it every once and awhile.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This might be that final excuse for a snake camera that I've been looking for.
Yep, show this thread to mama to support your need. :D

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There isn't any actual notice for this, it was just mentioned in a monthly tech newsletter for us to do if the symptoms came up.
Oh ok, I’ll ask the dealer about it then when I drop it off. Thanks

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
i know this might cause some feathers to be ruffled... but here it goes. i used to work for a fuel tank supplier to the big 3 along with a handful of other OEM's. we did have special fuel pumps that would go into flex fuel vehicles that required all stainless steel to be used in pumps springs etc. keep in mind that flex fuel is E85 or 15% ethanol give or take on the mix and time of year. E90 or regular fuel only contains around 10% ethanol. Ethanol is not exactly the spawn of Satan when it comes to fuels. Case in point "moisture in fuel". People who run strictly ethanol free gasoline for longer periods of time and allow their machine to sit will often times experience rough running for short periods of time and extreme cases no starts. this is due to the hydrocarbon based fuel being hydrophobic. water separates and settles to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump draws obviously water doesnt aid in combustion so you get rough running symptoms until which point the fuel begins to mix and you begin getting gasoline instead of water into the system. If you are one of these people who only uses ethanol free gas what will happen is over time the water content will become more and more. this is where ethanol comes in. ethanol will absorb water in the fuel tank and being an alcohol will burn. in short if you are going to run ethanol free gas all the time it would be beneficial to run a tank or regular gas through it every once and awhile.
That’s interesting. I do believe that Honda specs E90 for the Pioneer???

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'd like to know if this is a common problem or a few here and there type problem. Can you see or check for this? I have a 700, are things the same there also? This might be that final excuse for a snake camera that I've been looking for.
It’s the first I’ve seen here, that doesn’t mean it’s the first here of course. What causes me to think that it may be or become an increasing problem is the dealers commentary to it in the op. It seems like it’s something they are seeing and check for.

Reactions: Farmer
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. 1000 6 Crew

3. Talon X

4. Talon R4 LV

So the alcohol/ethanol combines with the water to allow it to pass through the engine with less noticeable problems?

Reactions: BeerMonkey
C

Chabrak

Nov 11, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey can you let me know how you were able to open the tank? Mine is like Fort Knox

Reactions: Farmer
BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
So the alcohol/ethanol combines with the water to allow it to pass through the engine with less noticeable problems?
yes sir.
a real world example was a gentleman was selling a dakota truck that he took to the dealer for everything from oil change to light bulb replacements. He rarely drove it and more or less babied it. He STRICTLY used ethanol free fuel and the truck would sit for long periods of time. the water would settle to the bottom of the tank and it got to the point the truck wouldnt run worth a crap. took it to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong with the fuel pump or the rest of the truck. while investigating the tank was drained and refilled (no more water) and miraculously the problem went away and no fault found was diagnosed. After some time had passed the same issue arose and the owner put the truck up for sale. A friend who was an engineer with me at the Fuel tank plant bought the truck drained the fuel and put regular 10% ethanol in and the truck ran like brand new. problem solved and he got a "lemon truck" for a steal and full tank of fuel.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
Hey can you let me know how you were able to open the tank? Mine is like Fort Knox
you need a cam lock ring tool and a quick jerk on a breaker bar. 61Lfdf88ZnL SX425

advertisement