P500 I can’t fix rough upshifting P500

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
2017 P500, 5,500 miles. I changed oil/filter 25 miles ago with OEM oil and filter. 2 days ago went for a ride and shifting from N to R or N to 2 was fine. Paddle shifting 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc up to 5 had noticeable lurching.

Checked oil (full), came home to adjust clutch which I’ve done before. I’m careful to keep the screw stationary with screwdriver while snugging the 14mm nut.

1 turn CW, turn CCW to first resistance, turn CW 1/4 turn. Same problem. Tried several more times, CW 1/3, CW 1/2, and left screw where resistance was felt. All the same hesitation- or worse.

Any ideas before I bring it to the local Honda dealership?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Backwoods and TxDoc
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Any luck? I’ve had to adjust it a few times in a ‘single’ attempt to get it right…..

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
No luck,I brought it to the Honda dealership and am waiting for a call from the service manager. I hope it’s as simple as the clutch needed adjustment.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Remington
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
I had one with a similar issue & miles, replaced the shift clutch(clutch plates).....all better now

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If that turns out to be the case, this has still been a remarkable piece of equipment that I’ve been driving it for five years and this is the first time it’s been to a dealer.

Funny you say that bc I was just thinking the other day that if my machine took a sh!t all of a sudden I really couldn't bad mouth it. I'd be disappointed for sure but after 8 yrs of plowing with it and all the places it's taken us, I feel I've already got my money's worth out of it.

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
I just adjusted my clutch, and it's not difficult. There's videos on youtube showing how. It could need to be replaced, but try adjusting it first.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I just adjusted my clutch, and it's not difficult. There's videos on youtube showing how. It could need to be replaced, but try adjusting it first.

I did, and I could not get it to stop lurching.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Oops, I missed where you said that.

Not a problem.

The dealer service called, all fixed.

They “had to reset the transmission computer, which required software a customer would not have”. I’m assuming a piece of diagnostic equipment/ tester. They also adjusted the clutch.

I pick it up Thursday*, and want to talk to the tech to find out more, like is it the engine control module or another module, where is it on the P500 and why would it happen?

I’ll update my report on Thursday.

* I have a consultation with a gastroenterologist in Dillon in advance of a routine colonoscopy. I’m 69 and colon cancer killed my Dad at 71- 23 years ago. If you guys are over 50 talk to your doctor about getting one.

Having a colonoscopy sucks- but not as much as standing in a funeral hone having your mother curse out your Dad’s doctor for not telling him to get one.

advertisement
Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Having a colonoscopy sucks- but not as much as standing in a funeral hone having your mother curse out your Dad’s doctor for not telling him to get one.

Just had my 3rd. Last year they found a bunch of stuff and wanted another this year. It was OK and they want another in 3 years. Don't delay folks. Have it done! The prep is the hard part, everything else is gravy.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
~snip

They really aren't that bad. I have them annually due to Chrohn's disease (since 2010).
Best advise I can give anyone, is 3-4 days before your prep, convert to a liquid diet, or a GI soft diet to help the prep.
Yeah the prep sucks, and the anxiety leading up to the procedure sucks. But they knock your ass out, roll you into a room, you wake up back in another room, fart a few times and they send you home.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Hmmm, when mine electricly died (2015 model) dealers said there was no scan tool for it. They also weren’t thrilled about fixing it either. One service guy said I’m probably just as skilled as them and gave me suggestions as to what to look for. Others here may be more knowledgeable about dealer tools……

Reactions: Backwoods
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I picked up the P500 and spoke with the tech who worked on it.

1. He checked the clutch adjustment and set it to 1/4 turn clockwise from feeling resistance. It still lurched.

2. He tried a ‘known good’ angle sensor (instead of putting in s new one and charging me $). He suspected this was the problem based on experience. He drove it and it still lurched. Put my angle sensor back. FYI it’s located on the rear of the engine case, next to the output shaft to the rear differential.

3. He hooked up a Honda diagnostic tool thru the only red connector on an accessory harness under the hood. He ‘reset’ the transmission portion of the ecm. I’m not sure if he reflashed the memory with new software or there was a ‘reset’ command. He commented that the ecm had to ‘learn’ about the P500.

The tech said he’d only seen this happen once in a P500, but multiple times in Honda ATVs with the same engine and transmission.

$207 later at a shop rate of $105/hour and it drives great now.