P1000 How to Secure Your Trailer

Q

Quailguy

Dec 17, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hope to have my 1000-3 next week, my first SXS. Looking for suggestions on locking my trailer to my tow vehicle while I'm chasing birds. I see there are many styles for sale, but thought I would come to the experts for advice. I don't know if there is a 100% fix as thieves are experts at there craft, but want to make them go elsewhere or make it too difficult for them.

Thanks
Quailguy

Reactions: wakum6 and sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hope to have my 1000-3 next week, my first SXS. Looking for suggestions on locking my trailer to my tow vehicle while I'm chasing birds. I see there are many styles for sale, but thought I would come to the experts for advice. I don't know if there is a 100% fix as thieves are experts at there craft, but want to make them go elsewhere or make it too difficult for them.

Thanks
Quailguy
Tongue lock.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks
Quailguy
Hitch pin lock and a trailer latch lock.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hitch pin lock and a trailer latch lock.

This is the setup I use. I also have my safety chains double nutted with thread locker, impossible to get undone without two wrenches or a cutter/snipper. Just one more step for them to take, more time needed. Also when possible I will back the trailer up to something, usually a tree. Once again just another step. Theives in general are lazy, hence they steal not earn..

Q

Quailguy

Dec 17, 2018
Ca
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is the setup I use. I also have my safety chains double nutted with thread locker, impossible to get undone without two wrenches or a cutter/snipper. Just one more step for them to take, more time needed. Also when possible I will back the trailer up to something, usually a tree. Once again just another step. Theives in general are lazy, hence they steal not earn..
I like the tree idea. Thanks for taking the time to give a good explanation.

advertisement
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I usually padlock my safety chains tightly together so they can't be un hooked in addition to using a receiver hitch pin lock and a padlock in the ball latch lever. The reality is that in 30 seconds with a battery grinder and a cutoff wheel and they're gone. At least with the camera you might find out who.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I usually padlock my safety chains tightly together so they can't be un hooked in addition to using a receiver hitch pin lock and a padlock in the ball latch lever. The reality is that in 30 seconds with a battery grinder and a cutoff wheel and they're gone. At least with the camera you might find out who.
I agree, the camera can provide that needed pair of "eyes" on the situation, especially if you get a plate number. I have one on my driveway (100 yard stretch with ample areas to hide one), so no one enters/exits my property with a picture for that reason.

Reactions: Vikes79 and sharp
B

Bandman45

Aug 5, 2018
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've used the lockable hitch pin plus the lockable ball lever pin/lock. Go to a hitch installation shop, they will have better stuff. If at all possible, park in a very public place with lots of traffic. I also like the idea of backing it up to a tree if possible. Lastly, make sure you have good insurance.

Reactions: sharp and Mudwing
G

Griff

Oct 29, 2016
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks
Quailguy

AB8BFF29 82F4 4619 85DB 9A64F57E5BD5

Reactions: Plumber32
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
N

Nothing is 100% thief proof but this lock I built is about as close as you can get.
HTH
GRIFF
I’ve got a home made job like that on a trailer too, it’s about as good as they get but mine will only protect the trailer standing alone, not when it’s connected to the truck, then I use a long shackled lock.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
10 seconds with a battery grinder

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Make them work at it. Use multiple locks in harder to acces spots. Even something as simple as letting the air out of the tires. I install ugly plywood covers on mine so it looks like junk when sitting outside the motel.

advertisement