P1000 How slow will it go...

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
Nope, still don't have mine yet. But after all the clutch talk about "don't hold it in place with the throttle" and "stay in manual 2nd but going at least 3mph" I am very curious how people have been "creepin". My use will be on a wild horse ranch and I don't like to go charging into them. I would like to know if anybody here uses non-technical slow speed, under load or otherwise.

I was porking around all weekend on a ranger 800 crew dreaming about my Pioneer. Then I get home and read about everyone's possibly "random" issues. If the Pioneer can't creep, I'm going to have to think about something else.

Also, please feel free to tell me I have nothing to worry about.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I guess you can go as slow as you want but it will be hard on the clutches. On flat level ground, I will say 3 mph is about the lowest with out slipping the clutch.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
I guess you can go as slow as you want but it will be hard on the clutches. On flat level ground, I will say 3 mph is about the lowest with out slipping the clutch.
That's kind of a bummer. I've been riding the pedal for weeks on the Ranger. Doesn't seem to care. I've got lots of gates to start and stop at and wild animals that I need to be able to slowly control speed around. Is this the wrong machine for me?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have creeped around my place all the time and slow. I do use the manual mode a lot and keep it in 1st and I really like driving in manual....but I have always preferred manual setups (cars, jeeps, bikes etc). If I get a chance I'll take video of it and share. I don't think you will have a problem.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If you want to go slow get the pioneer 700 save your money. I some times go slow on my pioneer 1000-5 around 5 mph and I have not had any problems yet.

Reactions: Itsalljake
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Mine goes slow as I need it. I was doing about 2mph yesterday. Slowly crawling downhill works great.

There are situations where you have to use common sense - I was about to climb a stream bank yesterday with about 800 pounds in the bed and I was at a stop. Decided to backup and get some speed and RPMs to start the climb. I probably could have done it from a stop but easier on the machine with momentum.
Test drive and make sure it's as creepy as you are

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I use my 700 on my horse farm and it works great at going slow. You might want to compare the two and then make your decision.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
I use my 700 on my horse farm and it works great at going slow. You might want to compare the two and then make your decision.
Thanks for all the responses. Sound like the 700 is a good machine too. I just want the 1000 because I plan on working it with 5 people up and down hills as well as some heavy towing. I won't really need to creep in those situations. More so when I'm going solo and want to visit the horses without causing a stampede. Which is another reason I'm going Pioneer, supposed to be a bit quieter. Although now people are talking about the noisy cab with the hard top on. Damn thing was supposed to be perfect for me and now the warts are showing.

Reactions: Stauvo
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the responses. Sound like the 700 is a good machine too. I just want the 1000 because I plan on working it with 5 people up and down hills as well as some heavy towing. I won't really need to creep in those situations. More so when I'm going solo and want to visit the horses without causing a stampede. Which is another reason I'm going Pioneer, supposed to be a bit quieter. Although now people are talking about the noisy cab with the hard top on. Damn thing was supposed to be perfect for me and now the warts are showing.

Yes I agree with you. I spent some time on the emotional rollercoaster as well:confused: but I am moving forward and looking forward to this machine warts and all. My dealer is 10 min from my home and right next to where I work so I am comfortable with the purchase. Every thing has issues My dodge Cummins it was injectors, track bar, now airbag. Our 3 yr old Toyota Sienna just snapped a door cable yesterday. WTF!:mad: My 2005 Foreman was recalled for warped clutch plates as it affected shifting. Enough out of me.:rolleyes:

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
You gotta take my comments above with a grain of salt. This is my first sxs so I cant compare it to other models like these other guys. I'm just saying I'm happy with what I have.

advertisement
Jody

Jody

Jan 12, 2016
Manitoba
the pioneer 1000-5 works fine. the noise isn't at all as bad as people make it out to be. it's a small whine from the transmission. sounds like a vehicle. the slow moving is not an issue either, drop it in low and hold the throttle just off of idle and off you are nice and easy.I use mine to plow snow in tight areas that require me to crawl under load all the time. I think there is a lot of drama on these forums and I'm note poking at anyone but just remember for the amount of units that are out there look at how many actual posts there are about problems. Check other brand forums and it's the same. mostly the bad stuff gets posted compared to the good and it's really only a small percentage of units compared to what is out there in use.

I hope you enjoy your new unit, I really do.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
This cracks me up for years everyone piles on Honda to make a faster SXS with more power better suspension and goes faster than 45 mph. Honda delivers on all accounts with a P1000 that has double the HP of the P700, far better suspension, and will go 66 MPH. Low and behold people now complain it wont go slow enough, reminds me on my coworkers they b**** because their ice cream is cold.

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
This cracks me up for years everyone piles on Honda to make a faster SXS with more power better suspension and goes faster than 45 mph. Honda delivers on all accounts with a P1000 that has double the HP of the P700, far better suspension, and will go 66 MPH. Low and behold people now complain it wont go slow enough, reminds me on my coworkers they b**** because their ice cream is cold.
Sorry I hit a nerve Jackal. I agree with the dichotomy. Just trying (as always) to get some real world answers from folks with real world experience. Most seem positive enough.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Sorry I hit a nerve Jackal. I agree with the dichotomy. Just trying (as always) to get some real world answers from folks with real world experience. Most seem positive enough.
Not a nerve I see it as a comical observation of people, their wants, wishes, and demands and the inability to please them. But I must confess reducing the Low Range and Reverse gearing in the sub-transmission by 30-35% would go a long way in placating the slow n easy crowd. and I wouldn't mind it either.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really cant figure out why us grown men and women keep getting scolded for talking about these Hondas. Were just having conversations with each other. I don't feel like we have insulted anyone or used fowl language or used racist terminology or picked fights. Isn't it our choice to praise these Honda's? Or nit pick the hell out of them if helps ease the frustration?

If we are guilty of any of the offenses I mentioned by all means step in. But if it sounds a little hen housey, please, please enter with some courtesy and leave the shaming at the door.

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
no such thing as perfect. it will go as slow as you want to go on flat ground. it's just like driving a manual tranny jeep, except the machine decides when to pump the clutch pedal. if you just bump gently on the gas, it will bump gently on the clutch and ease you forward, then disengage the clutch. it takes a little getting used to, but not a big deal. If you're trying to climb a hill or haul a load, then yes, just like any manual tranny, there is a certain minimum speed required. I have over 300 hard miles on mine with no issues other than clutch shudder when trying to back up a steep hill.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I don't think anybody was scolded, no one was named or shamed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion as long as people don't get personal that's what's great. If my observations are less valid than everyone else's I suppose I will stay silent, even though no one told anyone to be quiet, as is being alleged.

S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
You must definitely learn to drive this machine. Work the few noises out. Learn when to be in high or low. Or even use manual or auto. This is NOT your regular cvt system most guys are use to. Put it in high and go is all they think about.
Going super slow is fine. Put it in low. Hell high is fine too. No shuddering whats so ever.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jackal wrote:
<If my observations are less valid than everyone else's I suppose I will stay silent,>

AhhhhHa! The un-named, un-shamed alleged scolder has identified himself.;) Please do not remain silent. :D

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You must definitely learn to drive this machine. Work the few noises out. Learn when to be in high or low. Or even use manual or auto. This is NOT your regular cvt system most guys are use to. Put it in high and go is all they think about.
Going super slow is fine. Put it in low. Hell high is fine too. No shuddering whats so ever.
no shuddering cause yours is sitting at the shop waiting on a new clutch!lol just messing with you... couldn't resist.:D

Reactions: Scooterchris
advertisement