P1000 Honda pioneer snowplow

Parkspremier

Parkspremier

Dec 18, 2020
Central oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A question I do have for you guys is, how many bolts do your mounting brackets have that attach it to the frame of the pioneer? I ended up using 1/4” plate and it bolts up using 4 vertically underneath and also using the front 2 bolts horizontally that help hold the the bumper guard and winch mounting bracket. So all in all it utilizes 6 bolts. Hopefully with the bend in the plate to match the under profile of the pioneer and using 6 bolts of various directions this will help limit any potential frame damage that could possible arise 🤞🏻
Anyone?

Reactions: ChadD
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My KFI uses four.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think that will be fine bolted to the frame with 4 bolts that are 3/8 ish.

I have 8 bolts that are 1/2” holding the bracket on my f250. I’ve bent my frame when I hit someone who ran a red light. After replacing the front 1/3 of my frame we reused the plow mount because it didn’t bend.

I have friends with the same setup that have bent frames while plowing aggressively.

just something to think about. I’d rather shear 4 bolts then bend a frame……

advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few more progress pictures, may still need to make a few little changes but it’s coming along 👍🏻

View attachment 315252 View attachment 315253 View attachment 315254
I had a chance to plow with mine again today, I don't miss the winch cable set up at all. You should really consider a 12v linear actuator. I'm curious what you will think about the long plow mount once you start plowing, in tight spots I've found Im glad to be so short overall length wise.

Parkspremier

Parkspremier

Dec 18, 2020
Central oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a chance to plow with mine again today, I don't miss the winch cable set up at all. You should really consider a 12v linear actuator. I'm curious what you will think about the long plow mount once you start plowing, in tight spots I've found Im glad to be so short overall length wise.
The actuator would be a sweet addition. So far I’m trying to keep it on the cheap but in the future if we ever get any snow and I can justify the expense that would be a sweet addition. From the cutting edge of the plow to where it pins into my mount on the machine is roughly 3’ 4”s as I don’t have access to a pioneer with a plow set up I’m curious as to how much further this really sticks out 🤷🏻‍♂️
***after posting this I looked at prices of actuators and they aren’t nearly as expensive as I figured they would be 👍🏻***

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going to spend some beer time pondering a linear actuator (which I googled to become an expert). I'd appreciate hearing from SXS owners with experience. Some of the actuators have plenty of power, but some are slow on the in and out.
One of the things I like with my winch mount is that the blade can float up the high snowbanks that build up around my drive. It really helps to have a bit of momentum and let the snow and blade float up over the top of the snowbank - stacks on top and not against the front of the bank. Has anyone used a system where the actuator lifts but the blade can free-float up?
Going to the fridge . . .

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Going to spend some beer time pondering a linear actuator (which I googled to become an expert). I'd appreciate hearing from SXS owners with experience. Some of the actuators have plenty of power, but some are slow on the in and out.
One of the things I like with my winch mount is that the blade can float up the high snowbanks that build up around my drive. It really helps to have a bit of momentum and let the snow and blade float up over the top of the snowbank - stacks on top and not against the front of the bank. Has anyone used a system where the actuator lifts but the blade can free-float up?
Going to the fridge . . .
My actuator is a 4" stroke 275lbs rating. I really like the preload on the blade, set the blade on the ground and the. Unload the front suspension. I also plow flat concrete. For banks, I have a 5ft ditch of the end of my driveway so I don't have a need to plow up banks. For speed it's a lot faster up and down than the winch cable and a lot less current draw than the winch. My actuator is clutched up and down so if it's at full travel or over loaded it will click and stop moving.

I don't have a measurement on the plow blade to tire but I'd guess it's less than 24"
PXL 20211226 234420634

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My actuator is a 4" stroke 275lbs rating. I really like the preload on the blade, set the blade on the ground and the. Unload the front suspension. I also plow flat concrete. For banks, I have a 5ft ditch of the end of my driveway so I don't have a need to plow up banks. For speed it's a lot faster up and down than the winch cable and a lot less current draw than the winch. My actuator is clutched up and down so if it's at full travel or over loaded it will click and stop moving.

I don't have a measurement on the plow blade to tire but I'd guess it's less than 24"
View attachment 315258
Thank you, ToddACimer - this is very helpful and brought up another issue.

If I had smooth, flat pavement or cement that pushes off into a ditch, this would be a great set up. And it would really address the underlying problem of the repeated, short lifts that wear and fray the winch cable over time.

I paid several thousand to roll road base on my drive, which has ups and downs, and I rely on the blade pucks and free float to keep from pushing $100 worth of road base over the edge every time I plow. After a bad experience, I use the snowbanks as guides to keep vehicles on the drive so they don't slide into false shoulders. Like I did.
This photo's from a prior post where I nearly rolled on a false shoulder I made for myself. Yes, ended in tow truck shame.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you, ToddACimer - this is very helpful and brought up another issue.

If I had smooth, flat pavement or cement that pushes off into a ditch, this would be a great set up. And it would really address the underlying problem of the repeated, short lifts that wear and fray the winch cable over time.

I paid several thousand to roll road base on my drive, which has ups and downs, and I rely on the blade pucks and free float to keep from pushing $100 worth of road base over the edge every time I plow. After a bad experience, I use the snowbanks as guides to keep vehicles on the drive so they don't slide into false shoulders. Like I did.
This photo's from a prior post where I nearly rolled on a false shoulder I made for myself. Yes, ended in tow truck shame.
View attachment 315273

If you were planning to leave a base of know, I think you could set the plow shoes on the ground and maintain a consistent height, alternatively a secondary pivot could be put on the top side to allow 1" or so of float in the cylinder or 1-3" on the plow.

Parkspremier

Parkspremier

Dec 18, 2020
Central oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was not thinking of the actuator for the up and down but rather the angling from side to side… now I have all kinds of ideas running through my head

Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was not thinking of the actuator for the up and down but rather the angling from side to side… now I have all kinds of ideas running through my head
I'm tempted on side to side but I'm running out of under hood electrical room. I have to hide 3 winch solenoids already, front winch, rear winch and plow lift actuator. Side to side would be a hole extra setup

advertisement