P500 Honda Pioneer 500, 2017 Gear Improvements!

H

HondaTech

You're sure of this?? Do you work for Honda?

Yes, and the message they sent isn't clear in my head, but I know they were delayed. I can't remember till when, I'll have to look it up again.

As far as the auto mode goes, Honda uses 1 of 3 ways to shift their auto trans. Dct, Hondamatic, or the 700P torque converter trans. None of these are present in the P500 now or in any of the parts fish I can find of the '17 model. I can't wait to see the service manual on how it works.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
J

JTW

Yes, and the message they sent isn't clear in my head, but I know they were delayed. I can't remember till when, I'll have to look it up again.

As far as the auto mode goes, Honda uses 1 of 3 ways to shift their auto trans. Dct, Hondamatic, or the 700P torque converter trans. None of these are present in the P500 now or in any of the parts fish I can find of the '17 model. I can't wait to see the service manual on how it works.
Well good.. Any more info you have or can find I'd sure appreciate.. Seems like I need have a b**** fit with the salesman this week!

Reactions: wildbill
H

HondaTech

Just looked at the retail forecast for the rest of year, apparently the 500 is set to release this month. Orders placed in Sept, will release Nov, Oct-Dec, ect. I'm only a tech, so I don't know when the orders were placed for what units. But I vaguely remember a bulletin about delayed shipment. Can't find it now.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
J

JTW

Just looked at the retail forecast for the rest of year, apparently the 500 is set to release this month. Orders placed in Sept, will release Nov, Oct-Dec, ect. I'm only a tech, so I don't know when the orders were placed for what units. But I vaguely remember a bulletin about delayed shipment. Can't find it now.
I see.. I ordered my in August.

J

JTW

Lol. I'm just playing with ya buddy. Hold out for the P5, I need a review on the changes!!! :)
Lol.. I know. But I'm missing good riding weather and I don't think much of salesmen whom are liars! They got until the first!

advertisement
J

JTW

Did you like the CVT in the Wolverine ? I've never driven one, but hope they are a whole lot better than the Polaris, AC, Can-Am CVT.
The Kawasaki isn't too bad, but from the all the CVT SxS's I've driven, I don't really care for any of them. I like the way they work for the most part on the ATV's, but not SxS's.
It's like a rhino.. The only CVT I would buy would be Yamaha. They're fine just a bit more noise that I don't care for. I had a 660 grizzly before with no issues.

H

HondaTech

It's like a rhino.. The only CVT I would buy would be Yamaha. They're fine just a bit more noise that I don't care for. I had a 660 grizzly before with no issues.

Same here, I'm all Honda but if I had to buy a CVT, Yamaha would be the only choice.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Same here, I'm all Honda but if I had to buy a CVT, Yamaha would be the only choice.
Yup.. I'm really surprised they didn't come out with a smaller sized machine. They could have done the same thing Honda has only used a 700 Grizzly and it would be a beast!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Wow ! Great thought . My Honda Pioneer 500 with my 16 Grizzly 700 drive train . Ya know , that would be dangerous .
I like my p5 just the way it is although it is a tempting idea .

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Wow ! Great thought . My Honda Pioneer 500 with my 16 Grizzly 700 drive train . Ya know , that would be dangerous .
I like my p5 just the way it is although it is a tempting idea .
I know.. It would be BA!! Little more power, speed and traction!!

J

JTW

Hopefully they would do alot better than the old Rhino if they built a new SxS to compete in the 50" market. Those were a very unimpressive machine to me. I've been around them very little, but enough to know I wouldn't have one o_O. Loud, vibrating, heavy steering, pita to do maintenance on.................
Well, I somewhat have to disagree with ya.. Yes, they're loud. But they're bullet proof and there are A LOT of them still out there going strong. The fuel injected, power steering models, in good shape, still go for about what a new p500 does. They've got a lot more power and a locker. But the noise is what kills them for me.. I completly agree with you there.

Reactions: Talen
J

JTW

I agree they were tough machines. The one's I've been around just didn't impress me. They felt like there was a lot of rolling resistance, like it was a job to get them to take off. It's been awhile, but thought I remembered them being a little too high geared in high. I wasn't aware they made any with P/S, but I guess the ones I was around were the older ones. They definitely need that.
I'm just not a cvt SxS fan. The gear driven transmissions are so much "crisper".
I know I call out Honda on alot of stuff, but they are still the only brand SxS I would consider.
I think ps was an aftermarket option.. I know what you mean on the other points. And clearly.. Here I am still waiting on a Honda!

J

JTW

We run all the SxS's in and out every day, and I still like to drive the P500 better than the other Honda's and Kawi's. They are just fun to tool around in and I like the size of them.
The size it what has me..

Reactions: lipcurl
advertisement