P1000 Honda OEM Winch

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey,

So I've come to the realisation that I shouldn't have cheaped out and should have a winch.

During my research though, I dont see many people using or recommending the Honda OEM winch? Why is that?

That would be my easiest choice because the dealer could do everything, but I just don't see people raving about them.

Plus the oem winch and kit costs $1,300 from the dealer here so if I'm spending good money, it has to be on good product and I can always import any winch I want for a lot cheaper.

Thanks for your insights!

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I think the guys with excessive cash or lack of knowledge to install go with the honda stuff. I believe honda uses warn winches, which are very good quality winches. But for us with less money to burn and the knowledge to install take a less expensive route and gather the parts we want and do it ourselves to save a few bucks for other items.There are a lot of options out there for winches and winch mounts that are just as good as the honda set up, basically comes down to how much you want to do your own install.

Reactions: CMB and hibbert
H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the guys with excessive cash or lack of knowledge to install go with the honda stuff. I believe honda uses warn winches, which are very good quality winches. But for us with less money to burn and the knowledge to install take a less expensive route and gather the parts we want and do it ourselves to save a few bucks for other items.There are a lot of options out there for winches and winch mounts that are just as good as the honda set up, basically comes down to how much you want to do your own install.

Yes good advice - I am a "buy things once" type of person so I would rather spend a bit more on quality.

Looking at the install instructions for the OEM kit looks overwhelming, possibly beyond my ability and it doesnt seem you get a nice little rocker switch or wireless capabilities which if I'm spending the money - seems like I want.

Lots of people recommend the Warn 4500 winches but NOT the Honda OEM which is also Warn - I assume because of cost?

Ultimately though I want to have a rocker switch in the cab and wireless just in case and I'll attempt the install because it seems like a great way to learn about the machine and if it goes wrong I'll find someone more capable.

Is there a winch that is easy to install with the rocker switch and wireless included?

bluemountainbugler

bluemountainbugler

Nov 27, 2020
Walla Walla Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree that a winch is essential. I went with the Warn setup because of my experience with them on other rigs. I negotiated a final price including the winch, windshield and roof at time of purchase and was able to save a lot. If you have the knowledge to install the labor is always a way to save big.
There are a huge selection of quality winches out there but there is a lot of junk too. I would make sure to research the options and this forum is a great place to hear what others have had good experience with.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree that a winch is essential. I went with the Warn setup because of my experience with them on other rigs. I negotiated a final price including the winch, windshield and roof at time of purchase and was able to save a lot. If you have the knowledge to install the labor is always a way to save big.
There are a huge selection of quality winches out there but there is a lot of junk too. I would make sure to research the options and this forum is a great place to hear what others have had good experience with.

Yes I've been looking through lots of options, as well as the Warn - it seems the wide KFI Stealth is held in high regard and includes lots of bells and whistles - SE45w-R2 KFI Stealth Winch - KFI ATV Winch, Mounts and Accessories

I can just go to the dealer and have them install the OEM winch and kit - but I'm in Costa Rica so it's $1300 installed which is the easy option.

Or I can buy something else, install it myself (or have the dealer install) and import it for roughly whatever the base price is plus 30%

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes I've been looking through lots of options, as well as the Warn - it seems the wide KFI Stealth is held in high regard and includes lots of bells and whistles - SE45w-R2 KFI Stealth Winch - KFI ATV Winch, Mounts and Accessories

I can just go to the dealer and have them install the OEM winch and kit - but I'm in Costa Rica so it's $1300 installed which is the easy option.

Or I can buy something else, install it myself (or have the dealer install) and import it for roughly whatever the base price is plus 30%
I'm not expert but I would say if you want to attempt the install your self you could probably save around $500 and end up with a really good winch (warn, etc.) The install is really not that complicated, the hardest part honestly is probably choosing the location of relays, switches and such. My 2 cents
Good luck

And don't forget.......pics or it didn't happen!!

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my experience and research, the Viper winches, like the ones offered through the forum store are a very good winch. I have the 5k lb Viper Max with a dash switch also a wired plug in remote that I can use. It was easy to install and took about 4 hours. Just read directions that are made specific for our machine. I am one of those people that would rather do the work my self and take the time than pay a dealer way too much to do it. That way when something happens I will know how everything is installed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

bluemountainbugler

bluemountainbugler

Nov 27, 2020
Walla Walla Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just FYI the Honda OEM is the Warn 4500. No difference. Just what the dealer sells just like the Honda snow plow is Warn also. Can't speak to the KFI winch but I just purchased the KFI plow and it is very well built. You can get the Warn winch and mount at other outlets besides the dealer. My dealer wanted 700 for the install of mount and winch. Most installs have good instruction and support plus youtube videos can be a great resource at times.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
G
Hey,

So I've come to the realisation that I shouldn't have cheaped out and should have a winch.

During my research though, I dont see many people using or recommending the Honda OEM winch? Why is that?

That would be my easiest choice because the dealer could do everything, but I just don't see people raving about them.

Plus the oem winch and kit costs $1,300 from the dealer here so if I'm spending good money, it has to be on good product and I can always import any winch I want for a lot cheaper.

Thanks for your insights!
Go to the club store, buy a Viper winch and call it a day. The OEM isn’t going to be any easier in the end. That’s just my two cents.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my experience and research, the Viper winches, like the ones offered through the forum store are a very good winch. I have the 5k lb Viper Max with a dash switch also a wired plug in remote that I can use. It was easy to install and took about 4 hours. Just read directions that are made specific for our machine. I am one of those people that would rather do the work my self and take the time than pay a dealer way too much to do it. That way when something happens I will know how everything is installed.

I have a 4500 Viper Elite and it’s been through some hard pulls. Zero issues, great winch. I had 4500 Viper Max on my 700-4, zero issues as well.

advertisement
H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all your advice!

I guess the hardest part of the install really is splicing into power and then cutting a hole for the swtiches.

The KFI SE45w-R2 looks like it just wires direct to the battery though-

2020 11 29 08 27 17

Is there any downside to wiring direct to the battery and not via the 15a Acc Fuse?

I only have 1 battery but no other accessories beside a motion sensing motorcycle alarm.

Reactions: Russ989
H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

G

Go to the club store, buy a Viper winch and call it a day. The OEM isn’t going to be any easier in the end. That’s just my two cents.

How did you take care of power?

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all your advice!

I guess the hardest part of the install really is splicing into power and then cutting a hole for the swtiches.

The KFI SE45w-R2 looks like it just wires direct to the battery though-

View attachment 238366

Is there any downside to wiring direct to the battery and not via the 15a Acc Fuse?

I only have 1 battery but no other accessories beside a motion sensing motorcycle alarm.
Most winches wire up this way, it will be fine.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you take care of power?
I suggest doing a dual battery setup. That way you will have a battery that specifically powers your accessories. Your clutch system is dependent upon battery voltage to work properly. My winch is wired just like the diagram you showed.

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is powered from the battery.

Viper Elite 4500 Winch Install

Thanks for the video, seems straight forward except that video make the power bit look terrifying haha

H

hibbert

Nov 9, 2020
CR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I suggest doing a dual battery setup. That way you will have a battery that specifically powers your accessories. Your clutch system is dependent upon battery voltage to work properly. My winch is wired just like the diagram you showed.

Thanks - I won't be running other accessories except a motorbike alarm (with 9v battery) and the winch so you think dual battery is required?

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks - I won't be running other accessories except a motorbike alarm (with 9v battery) and the winch so you think dual battery is required?
100% yes. It's cheap insurance vs replacing clutches.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you’re not doing a lot of winching, I’d say no. The Pioneer 1000 has pretty good output for the electrical system. If adding radios, lights and other accessories then you need to add the extra battery.

H

HondaTech

Just an FYI for anyone looking into getting the OEM solution.

Honda is moving to the new Warn VRX winch here soon and discontinuing the old Advantage.

advertisement