YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone fabricated their own sound system for a 1000-3? I almost pulled the trigger on a sound bar last night, but I'm having a hard time justifying the price. The reviews were great on some of them but they can cost as much as a new set of tires. My 77 Trans Am, 68 Impala SS, and 70 Nova had killer sound with just a set of 6x9's mounted in the back deck. So my brain fart is maybe build an overhead enclosure, mount some speakers, an amp, and some kind of head unit that can blue tooth. True it wouldn't sound as good as having the whole trunk for a speaker box, but thinking it might sound as good if not better than a sound bar for a lot less cash.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Still needs installed in our new rig but previous had this setup and sounded pretty good.
Infinity head unit
F57486E7 6DC3 4D10 8FE7 1CC3D1F22A95

Vdp Jeep overhead speaker bar front and rear. Bought both used and replaced speaks with 4 infinity 6.5

3B9622B6 633D 45DA B866 25019F7595F3

64E39D8F AE9C 47A3 A171 5FC9D76D3DB7

Two Rockford Fosgate powersports Punches

And bass was wet sounds 10 mounted in fiberglass enclosure designed for Pioneer 700 but cut to fit the 1000, ported into the cabin.
493EF2B4 BF2E 4043 8958 CED3392BAA3E

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone fabricated their own sound system for a 1000-3? I almost pulled the trigger on a sound bar last night, but I'm having a hard time justifying the price. The reviews were great on some of them but they can cost as much as a new set of tires. My 77 Trans Am, 68 Impala SS, and 70 Nova had killer sound with just a set of 6x9's mounted in the back deck. So my brain fart is maybe build an overhead enclosure, mount some speakers, an amp, and some kind of head unit that can blue tooth. True it wouldn't sound as good as having the whole trunk for a speaker box, but thinking it might sound as good if not better than a sound bar for a lot less cash.
I built a fiberglass enclosure..heres a link.
P1000 - GlockMeisters new tunes

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Building your own system will definitely be the cheaper way to go and probably sound a lot better. The advantage to a sound bar or overhead unit is that it usually has an amp built in and leaves room for additional amps. 6x9's produce a fair amount of bass in an enclosed cabin but these sxs's are pretty much wide open and you have to overcome all of the engine and wind noise. If you have the room for a couple of external amps then I would get a small bluetooth head unit and start building. Powered subs are a good option due to amp being mounted inside of it already. Remember to do everything you can to keep those amps cool and dry though, speakers can handle a decent amount of moisture but not those amps and put in a confined space will make them heat up fast. Keep us posted on which direction you decide to go.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 2904
IMG 2905
IMG 2907
I fabricated my own sound system awhile back the only problem is that you can't see out the windshield, the record skips really bad going down the trail, it sometimes falls out and you can't hear the music because of the generator and you can't breathe because the generator exhaust blows into the cab. Other than that it's perfect!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On my 700 I built an enclosure that had (4) 6x9s and the head unit mounted in it. It was loud and had decent sound but it was also really heavy. Making the machine tipsy on off camber riding. It took me a lot of time and effort to get it made.

I wanted a WetSounds because of the size and weight, but like you had a hard time justifying the cost. Then I heard one on the trail in another machine....from the drivers seat of mine. The clarity was amazing, so when I’d scrounged us the cash and credit card points I picked up a WetSounds Surge 6 bar, their Bluetooth rocker, and AS-8 sub. I’m very happy with it. It took me longer deciding what route to run the wire than it did to install.

G

gpd2111

Aug 2, 2017
US
View attachment 70203 View attachment 70204 View attachment 70205 I fabricated my own sound system awhile back the only problem is that you can't see out the windshield, the record skips really bad going down the trail, it sometimes falls out and you can't hear the music because of the generator and you can't breathe because the generator exhaust blows into the cab. Other than that it's perfect!
Sharp for the win.

I just put a Kenwood single din car stereo on the dash and a couple small preboxxed speakers on the back of the roll cage. Just wanted something for background noise. Don't want music blaring when Honda already made a beautiful soundtrack to listen to. All we have to do is turn the key

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

advertisement
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
On my 700 I built an enclosure that had (4) 6x9s and the head unit mounted in it. It was loud and had decent sound but it was also really heavy. Making the machine tipsy on off camber riding. It took me a lot of time and effort to get it made.

I wanted a WetSounds because of the size and weight, but like you had a hard time justifying the cost. Then I heard one on the trail in another machine....from the drivers seat of mine. The clarity was amazing, so when I’d scrounged us the cash and credit card points I picked up a WetSounds Surge 6 bar, their Bluetooth rocker, and AS-8 sub. I’m very happy with it. It took me longer deciding what route to run the wire than it did to install.
I've read that WetSounds is a good sounding rig. What was the damage to the bank account? Any pics?

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't need a huge woofer for bass, at my age, gettin' jiggy wid it ain't a top priority lol. Not looking for ear bleeding volume, but wanting a good full sound at a decent price. I'm wanting to keep everything over head so I don't have to worry about anything getting wet if I go through water. Thanks for the ideas, much appreciated. Guess I need to get some cardboard and make a mock up or two then go from there. Gonna be a while before I can get it done so keep posting pics of what you have. At this point I have nothing invested so nothing to loose if I go a different route.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 70203 View attachment 70204 View attachment 70205 I fabricated my own sound system awhile back the only problem is that you can't see out the windshield, the record skips really bad going down the trail, it sometimes falls out and you can't hear the music because of the generator and you can't breathe because the generator exhaust blows into the cab. Other than that it's perfect!
Can you send us a list and model numbers, reminds me of my teenage years, who needs a back seat, if you have a front bench seat. HA!

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At this point in my life, it is either Southern Gospel, Country, or Talk Radio. I don't need a $1000 system for that, so I am planning on ordering that simple little round Jensen MS3A, with 2 simple speakers tomorrow.
I ended up with like $600 in mine .

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and YardDog
J

JTW

FWIW... I went the bazooka 24” party bar this go around. I’m quite happy with it for then $$... Walmart at one point had them for $250 which is $50 less than I gave. I wanted something with Bluetooth and this was the least expensive option. Plus it sounds really good!

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
FWIW... I went the bazooka 24” party bar this go around. I’m quite happy with it for then $$... Walmart at one point had them for $250 which is $50 less than I gave. I wanted something with Bluetooth and this was the least expensive option. Plus it sounds really good!
I looked really hard at the Bazooka 36" because it has 5 1/4" end speakers. Thought it might have a fuller sound, but would have to hear one before I dropped $500 on it. And I read a review somewhere that said if the remote is lost or damaged the unit won't work, don't know if thats true though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and sharp
J

JTW

I looked really hard at the Bazooka 36" because it has 5 1/4" end speakers. Thought it might have a fuller sound, but would have to hear one before I dropped $500 on it. And I read a review somewhere that said if the remote is lost or damaged the unit won't work, don't know if thats true though.
The 24 is fine for what you probably want... it will still work without the remote. However the volume won’t go up as loud and you can’t work the gay lights. But I don’t know where my remote is anyhow and it all works fine for what I want.

advertisement