P1000 HELP ...... wiring LED lights, etc.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure exactly what is needed. I mounted extra fuse box for aux. lighting etc. Do I need to put 100 amp inline fuse/breaker in it or just straight 6ga. wire ?

Bought wire harness for lights, that has breaker, relay and switch built in, but was going to connect to switch panel on dash. Is the harness necessary, or will it be ok to just run wires from fuse box to panel and not have a relay? May have wasted $$

20171223 103115 20171223 103727

EricG

EricG

Lifetime Member
Jul 19, 2017
North East PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My understanding on the relay is it is only needed if you are drawing more amps than your switch is rated for. I believe the otrattw switches a lot of guys use are rated 20 amps, don't quote me on that it may be less. So if you are hooking a lightbar up that draws 25 amps you have to use a relay. The inline breaker seems unnecessary to me if you have a fuse box already. I'm sure someone with much more knowledge will come along as well to help you out.

Reactions: Hondoman and BigOL3
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure exactly what is needed. I mounted extra fuse box for aux. lighting etc. Do I need to put 100 amp inline fuse/breaker in it or just straight 6ga. wire ?

Bought wire harness for lights, that has breaker, relay and switch built in, but was going to connect to switch panel on dash. Is the harness necessary, or will it be ok to just run wires from fuse box to panel and not have a relay? May have wasted $$

View attachment 60350 View attachment 60351
I added the same fuse box as you, except I bought the 12 port and put a 100amp disconnect on the input side. This is not necessary but makes it easy to shut down the power to the fuse box if needed. In addition, I added a solenoid ahead of the fuse box that is triggered by the key turned on.

I wired my amp and led light bar direct to the battery since they came with their own fuses. Plus, I didn't want to take from the capacity of my fuse box. I too purchased a harness like that for my led light bar, but i cut off the supplied switch and used an otrttd switch in my custom mystic panel. Not sure what the electric load is with your light bar, but it certainly won't hurt to use the supplied relay.

Last edited:
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

View attachment 60350 View attachment 60351
This is what I recommend...

0437ABED 2536 4A9D BCC4 3A075EC24B30

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
This topic was just addressed in
P500 - Wiring in an led light bar and work lights.
Hope the link works from mobile.
In addition to what @JACKAL said, I like running my aux headlight through a relay just for added peace of mind.

Apparently the link didn't post from mobile, here it is:
P500 - Wiring in an led light bar and work lights.

Last edited:
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Switches are powered by the fuse block many of which use relays as well. In this pic I took while rewiring you can see some of them pictured.

60186B40 2F36 468C 8B1E 0444D8F5CBD9

As far as the name...nothing clever or creative lol, simply my last name.

Reactions: lee and chadbo
ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Blue Seas Fuse Block is top left, and above the bus bar is my alternative to the isolator everyone uses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OTIPDQ/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I like your set up, and thanks for the diagram.
From the diagram it appears you can combine both batteries for a little extra umphh by setting the 3 position combine switch to both. Or maybe I'm reading the diagram wrong.
Looking at the product on amazon one of the questions is as follows:
Question:
Can this be wired to manually combine the batteries (i.e. override the isolation) like with a toggle switch or something? Or do i need the "kit"?
Answer:
No u cannot manually override this ACR to force a combine. If you're looking to do that, look into a Sure Power Battery Separator. It works the same way as this ACR, but with an optional manual combine hookup.
By Chu on August 12, 2014

But I think your wiring set up does just what the question asked, right?

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe the Bluetooth in my radio draws some power even when off, I plan to do a radio switch, winch power, in and out, 32 bar in front 13.5 bar in back and some some small interior lights is this setup overkill for me?

Reactions: Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I like your set up, and thanks for the diagram.
From the diagram it appears you can combine both batteries for a little extra umphh by setting the 3 position combine switch to both. Or maybe I'm reading the diagram wrong.
Looking at the product on amazon one of the questions is as follows:
Question:
Can this be wired to manually combine the batteries (i.e. override the isolation) like with a toggle switch or something? Or do i need the "kit"?
Answer:
No u cannot manually override this ACR to force a combine. If you're looking to do that, look into a Sure Power Battery Separator. It works the same way as this ACR, but with an optional manual combine hookup.
By Chu on August 12, 2014

But I think your wiring set up does just what the question asked, right?
Yes through the switch you can combine both batteries;) It’s the main reason I selected this set up! Found the winch needing more power in certain situations so the combine feature just made sense! It is really the only time I use this feature! Blue Sea Systems make great products and stand behind them 100%:cool:

Reactions: ZeroG
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I believe the Bluetooth in my radio draws some power even when off, I plan to do a radio switch, winch power, in and out, 32 bar in front 13.5 bar in back and some some small interior lights is this setup overkill for me?
I believe in building a solid foundation for all my electrical mods and feel strongly about isolating draw from the main system. Overkill, definitely not!

Reactions: BWAF and chadbo
ZeroG

ZeroG

Lifetime Member
Dec 11, 2017
SE Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes through the switch you can combine both batteries;) It’s the main reason I selected this set up! Found the winch needing more power in certain situations so the combine feature just made sense! It is really the only time I use this feature! Blue Sea Systems make great products and stand behind them 100%:cool:

Thank You!!!!! Exactly what I needed to know.

Reactions: chadbo and Eltobgi
J

JamesM

Oct 23, 2017
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
20180130 151543
20180130 151617

I am new to wiring so wanted to make things very organized so I could easily correct my mistakes. I added a fuse box, grounding bar (up top with cap on it...already full) and 4 relays. The yellow wires are the hot wires coming from the relays...I pulled them back out from those holes you see in the pic as the sharp holes might have cut into the wires. All I did for keyed power to my new fuse box was run a 16 guage wire from one of the leads off the Honda wiring harness I bought when I installed my winch. My extremely low draw 12 inch led strip interior light is on its own relay...unneccessary I expect. I wonder how appropriate it is to power the new fuse box the way I did. Especially since I will be adding accessories to this set up. My new 32 inch 180 watt curved light bar and my 2 rear 18 watt work lights part of this new set up probably do need relays. I should spend the time figuring out how to calculate amps.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
amps = wattage/voltage

advertisement