Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hi,

I just ordered a 17' Pioneer 1000-5 base model!! I'm heading down to pick it up on Memorial Day weekend and have a ride planned that weekend as well, so I'm trying to get all the parts ordered for my build so we can throw them on.

I'm adding fox shocks, under dash storage, LED headlights, front bumper, bed extender, Method 401 beadlocks, and hoping to go with 30" or 31" tires. I want to use the HL forward arms with no lift for this. Can any of you that have used forward arms tell me about pro and cons? Does the handling change, ride quality? Turning radius is a big issue as well. Why does it have to decrease turning radius?

I know there are certain 30" tires with a narrow and round profile that will work without the HL arms, but the question is, do you think I could run the 31" chicane RX (narrow tire with shallow lugs and rounded profile) with the arms only, without the lift?

Any advice is appreciated. Other tires I'm considering are Tusk Terrabites, Mongrels, and Tensor Regulators.

@Joey - any advice from you is invited (I know you run the catvos lift).

Last edited:
Reactions: elkguide
J

JTW

I believe your wheel choice with the Fox shocks are one of the more important deciding factors to take into account. I'm trying to decide what combo to go as well... the issue is tire size, tire brand, wheel offset, lift... any of it can change the combo of what you need for your suspension setup.

@Windrock1000 @joeymt33 @CumminsPusher @PioneerPete @snuffnwhisky @Plumber32 @Eltobgi

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Turning radius decreases because of the angle of the axel moves forward and when you turn the wheels deeply you over extend the axel angle- you pop the out CV joint. So you have to install steering stops to prevent this from happening. You lose about 5'.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Superatv forward 1.5" front a-arms state maximum 28" tire size. I can run 30" on mine with HL bracket lift.

HL is +2" and claim 30" tire size but doesn't have as much adjustment.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Say away from HL lift + fox shocks and 5+2 wheels. If you do run 5+2 wheels with this combo you must add a 1" spacers in the front and 2" spacers in the rear.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please allow yourself about 4 hours to install front a-arms + 4 hours for rear a-arms + 1.5 hours for High Lifter Lift + have a high quality ball joint press and new ball joints for the front a-arms. Upper and lowers if you use superatv arms.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe your wheel choice with the Fox shocks are one of the more important deciding factors to take into account. I'm trying to decide what combo to go as well... the issue is tire size, tire brand, wheel offset, lift... any of it can change the combo of what you need for your suspension setup.

@Windrock1000 @joeymt33 @CumminsPusher @PioneerPete @snuffnwhisky @Plumber32 @Eltobgi

My advice is to review the builds for each of the guys listed. Pick out the one you like the most and contact him. Joe, Pete, and Snuff are not on Fox legs. Everyone else listed are running Fox shocks with superatv a-arms. CP is running stock arms.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi,

I just ordered a 17' Pioneer 1000-5 base model!! I'm heading down to pick it up on Memorial Day weekend and have a ride planned that weekend as well, so I'm trying to get all the parts ordered for my build so we can throw them on.

I'm adding fox shocks, under dash storage, LED headlights, front bumper, bed extender, Method 401 beadlocks, and hoping to go with 30" or 31" tires. I want to use the HL forward arms with no lift for this. Can any of you that have used forward arms tell me about pro and cons? Does the handling change, ride quality? Turning radius is a big issue as well. Why does it have to decrease turning radius?

I know there are certain 30" tires with a narrow and round profile that will work without the HL arms, but the question is, do you think I could run the 31" chicane RX (narrow tire with shallow lugs and rounded profile) with the arms only, without the lift?

Any advice is appreciated. Other tires I'm considering are Tusk Terrabites, Mongrels, and Tensor Regulators.

@Joey - any advice from you is invited (I know you run the catvos lift).

Let the fun begin!!!!

advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The only change I noticed with the SATV arms is it rode better with the poly bushings instead of the rubber bushings. I'm running Evo 30's, no lift on 5-2 14x7 rims. No rubbing unless I run a 1" spacer in the front and the tires rub the skid plate at full lock. Easy fix to grind or cut the skid back. I haven't ran the steering stops. I did mess up both front brake lines with the tie rod hitting them in the stock location. Re-routing the lines or putting in the steering stops would have eliminated that problem. It kind of looks like the front axles are straighter than stock on the front. If you are doing a bunch of slow riding/rocks, I would probably not go over a 30" tire with stock gearing, preferably a small 30 or big 28 IMO.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only change I noticed with the SATV arms is it rode better with the poly bushings instead of the rubber bushings. I'm running Evo 30's, no lift on 5-2 14x7 rims. No rubbing unless I run a 1" spacer in the front and the tires rub the skid plate at full lock. Easy fix to grind or cut the skid back. I haven't ran the steering stops. I did mess up both front brake lines with the tie rod hitting them in the stock location. Re-routing the lines or putting in the steering stops would have eliminated that problem. It kind of looks like the front axles are straighter than stock on the front. If you are doing a bunch of slow riding/rocks, I would probably not go over a 30" tire with stock gearing, preferably a small 30 or big 28 IMO.
what he said...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My advice is to review the builds for each of the guys listed. Pick out the one you like the most and contact him. Joe, Pete, and Snuff are not on Fox legs. Everyone else listed are running Fox shocks with superatv a-arms. CP is running stock arms.
Rears anyways

Reactions: Windrock1000
Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Say away from HL lift + fox shocks and 5+2 wheels. If you do run 5+2 wheels with this combo you must add a 1" spacers in the front and 2" spacers in the rear.

Man you guys are some good guys. Thanks for the responses. So do the fox shocks add to the ride height as well? I'm going with a 4+3 offset to help with all of that. If I go with a lift later, I still might run spacers.

What can you tell me about the fox shocks? Worth it?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Man you guys are some good guys. Thanks for the responses. So do the fox shocks add to the ride height as well? I'm going with a 4+3 offset to help with all of that. If I go with a lift later, I still might run spacers.

What can you tell me about the fox shocks? Worth it?
Yes they're worth it! Doubt you'll hear different. They can add a little height and did on mine when adjusted right.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Revise @CumminsPusher has upgraded to superatv front a-arms because he hit every rock in stinking creek. LMAO!
Shhhhhh. Lol. That was rough. Maybe since my phone found its way home the skid plate that's in that damn creek will too.