Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Generally white sweet smelling smoke is coolant, gas (rich) smoke is more black and oil smoke is blue.

I can't wrap my head around why the valves being out of adjustment would cause it to smoke. All the valves do is allow the air/fuel mixture into the cylinders and the burnt gasses to escape. Smoke is from something contaminating the mixture, oil, coolant or excess fuel.

If the valves were tight it could run rough, if they are loose it would be noisy. Unless they were extremely loose it would be hard to notice in the seat of your pants.
That's what I was thinking. Check your coolant. Is it still full? Does it look clean?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Gentlemen, I agree with your statements about the smoke, even considered it myself...Check my coolant and it was full & clean. My primary reason for the service I performed on the valves was due to it running rough. That's why i also included the other service items in an attempt to fix the problem, including changing fuel to recommended octane. My problem was resolved with the procedures performed, and starts every time without hesitation...and no more smoke or smell.;)