P1000 Having couple issues

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1) It's going to be excruciatingly hard to explain this. If not embarrassing.

Been noticing lately that the exhaust smells "off". Like really different.

Not being a mechanic it's hard to explain it I want to say it smells really rich. But let's just say it's very noticeable that it doesn't smell like a normal exhaust smell.

More toxic. More pungent. More in your face, get away from that exhaust smell.
Very metallic smelling. Sorry that's the best I can do!

2) Both these issues started happening the exact same time. Low range is fine but in high range the transmission doesnt really feel right. Here we go again with bad explanations.

Felt like it wasnt really engaging properly, like the engine was revving up too much as it shifts through gears. But not just in one gear. Just like the entire time I'm driving the transmission is acting as if it's in gear and not in gear. Noticeable by the engine revving up and then down. I want to say it sounds and feels like the transmission is constantly engaging and disengaging while driving.

Combine that with the second problem which is easy to explain. I noticed the transmission IS disengaging or the clutch is disengaging as I am going downhill.

So I'll be driving along down an incline and all of a sudden something will disengage and I will be free wheeling and coasting and then after a minute or so it will catch and engage.

Sorry guys that's the best I can explain it!

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My advice would be to call your dealer and schedule an appointment.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Probably good advice but hoping I don't have to.

I live remote nearest dealer is 2 1/2 hours away. It's either a five hour round trip which mean it's an entire day's event then another five hours to pick it up. Or pay them $225 each way which means $900 bucks by the time it's all over.

Not to mention I already asked him and he lost a mechanic so they're backed up 2 to 3 weeks before they can even LOOK at it. Basically it means not having it for an entire month and it's something that I use daily!

I don't know about the sales aspect of it but I tell ya, somebody could get RICH opening up an authorized repair "only" shop because that seems to be a typical story where it takes dealers a month to turn a unit around.

There's obviously a much larger demand than supply!

Reactions: pct
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The clutch runs off oil pressure. You did verify that your oil isn't low?

M

memuck

Oct 1, 2013
You can try unhooking the battery for a few minutes then hook it back up. Mine started running rich when it was new and after unhooking battery to install a winch it cleared up. Might be a coincidence but I haven't had a problem since.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can try unhooking the battery for a few minutes then hook it back up. Mine started running rich when it was new and after unhooking battery to install a winch it cleared up. Might be a coincidence but I haven't had a problem since.

Excellent advice and in a world where everything is controlled by computers I should've thought of that myself! I bet you were surprised when you got done installing the winch and figured it out that you had solved another problem inadvertently!

I will give that a shot and post back whether it worked.

CrowHunter I have not checked it because I recently did a drain and fill with filters but I guess I should check it YES!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Some of what you describe matches the symptoms of the starter clutch slipping. The starter clutch specifically controls the engagement of R, 1,3,5th gears. When that clutch is smoked and slips, there will be RPM spikes of up to 2500 rpm higher than normal when taking off even a shuddering sensation momentarily then revs up when shifting into 3rd and 5th much more so than when shifting into 2,4,6th gears that are controlled by the second clutch of the DCT transmission.

I have no explanation about the odor you smell, but it is possible to install the oil
filters In backwards and or miss putting the pressure spring in place correctly between the oil filter covers and the oil filters for both the engine and DCT. Either way if any of that was not reassembled correctly could be an issue for grave concern as especially the DCT filter not being in place perfectly would affect the oil pressure required to operate the clutches to shift.

Just trying to throw out what it might be.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@Plumber101010 how many miles do you have on it?

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some of what you describe matches the symptoms of the starter clutch slipping. The starter clutch specifically controls the engages...

I did the first service June 28 at 20 hours and 20 miles. It now has 47.7 hours and 105 miles.

So its been 4 months, 27 hours and 85 miles ago that I did it. I'm assuming and it could be an incorrect assumption that if I did something idiotic like put the filter in backwoods the problem would have shown immediately??

I just can't imagine me doing that because if I'm not mistaken there's marks on the filter pointing to show you which way is out.

And as for the spring, the filter has an indentation for the spring to sit in if I remember right, so again I'm assuming if the spring wasnt sitting right it would've been very hard to get the cover on?

I forgot to add and this may be very important, that I was noticing white smoke or let's say some color smoke coming out from the unit about the same time the smell started. Don't know why but it never concerned me when I first started it but it seems like I remember after it was warmed up and being used I continued to see the smoke. I am running non-ethanol 93 octane.

But the smoke smell issue was happening while before this tranny issue so I don't think they are related.

During the time the smoke smell issue started there was also a few sporadic times that I would start it and it idled very uneven and very shaky like it was sputtering.

And I really don't think it's an "installed incorrectly" filter issue because that would be freely admitting that I am a complete idiotic moron... but if that's what it is I will post it!

I should just get my lazy butt out there I think at a minimum and check all the oil levels!!

I know guys I know. Why didn't you check that first moron! If only you knew my life you would understand :)

Tomorrow I will disconnect the battery cable and check all the fluids and I may just go ahead and do another service if I'm going to pull the oil filter off to make sure.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I did the first service June 28 at 20 hours and 20 miles. It now has 47.7 hours and 105 miles.

So its been 4 months, 27 hours and 85 miles ago that I did it. I'm assuming and it could be an incorrect assumption that if I did something idiotic like put the filter in backwoods the problem would have shown immediately??

I just can't imagine me doing that because if I'm not mistaken there's marks on the filter pointing to show you which way is out.

And as for the spring, the filter has an indentation for the spring to sit in if I remember right, so again I'm assuming if the spring wasnt sitting right it would've been very hard to get the cover on?

I forgot to add and this may be very important, that I was noticing white smoke or let's say some color smoke coming out from the unit about the same time the smell started. Don't know why but it never concerned me when I first started it but it seems like I remember after it was warmed up and being used I continued to see the smoke. I am running non-ethanol 93 octane.

But the smoke smell issue was happening while before this tranny issue so I don't think they are related.

During the time the smoke smell issue started there was also a few sporadic times that I would start it and it idled very uneven and very shaky like it was sputtering.

And I really don't think it's an "installed incorrectly" filter issue because that would be freely admitting that I am a complete idiotic moron... but if that's what it is I will post it!

I should just get my lazy butt out there I think at a minimum and check all the oil levels!!

I know guys I know. Why didn't you check that first moron! If only you knew my life you would understand :)

Tomorrow I will disconnect the battery cable and check all the fluids and I may just go ahead and do another service if I'm going to pull the oil filter off to make sure.
Had the same problem! Adjusted the valves and problem was solved! Smoke and rich sweet smell from the exhaust, rough idle, stall, tough start, run her hard she was fine after...but start her up and same symptoms!
Also cleaned screen in muffler, changed fuel to 89 octane, and used sea foam in gas tank.

Last edited:
advertisement
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had the same problem! Adjusted the valves and problem was solved! Smoke and rich sweet smell from the exhaust, rough idle, stall, tough start, run her hard she was fine after...but start her up and same symptoms!
Also cleaned screen in muffler, changed fuel to 89 octane, and used sea foam in gas tank.

How many miles did you have on it
when that started, was it still kind of new? The 89 octane was it ethanol free? I can't find ethanol free in anything less than 93 and I had suspected that's what the issue was but I prefer no ethanol over the higher octane is the worst of two evils or two betters.

I don't have a clue how to adjust my valves and wouldn't even want to attempt it unless somebody tells me it's easy has an oil change.

I'm just curious how many people are running regular gas with ethanol?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
How many miles did you have on it
when that started, was it still kind of new? The 89 octane was it ethanol free? I can't find ethanol free in anything less than 93 and I had suspected that's what the issue was but I prefer no ethanol over the higher octane is the worst of two evils or two betters.

I don't have a clue how to adjust my valves and wouldn't even want to attempt it unless somebody tells me it's easy has an oil change.

I'm just curious how many people are running regular gas with ethanol?

Manual recommends 89 if I'm not mistaken! Valves aren't bad at all, but if you don't feel comfortable bring it in. I'm sure you are aware valve adjustment is recommended at first service! Mine had close to 1200 before I performed valve adjustment @ 2nd service interval.
Reading through your post I knew exactly what you were describing. I can share instructions which another member shared with me when I was in your place. Say the word and I will post them here for you;)

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Manual recommends 89 if I'm not mistaken! Valves aren't bad at all, but if you don't feel comfortable bring it in. I'm sure you are aware valve adjustment is recommended at first service! Mine had close to 1200 before I performed valve adjustment @ 2nd service interval.
Reading through your post I knew exactly what you were describing. I can share instructions which another member shared with me when I was in your place. Say the word and I will post them here for you;)

The more I learn about my Honda the less I will have to bring it in for repairs!

Consider the word said :) And thanks!

Reactions: Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The more I learn about my Honda the less I will have to bring it in for repairs!

Consider the word said :) And thanks!
IMG 5599 IMG 5598 IMG 5600 IMG 5601

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Geez... spoke too soon! One look at those pictures and I couldn't help but quote Clint Eastwood "a man has to know his limitations" :)

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Geez... spoke too soon! One look at those pictures and I couldn't help but quote Clint Eastwood "a man has to know his limitations" :)
It's really not bad! One step at a time...a few basic tools. Break it down into steps! IMG 5291
Get to this point by removing air filter housing, plastic and seat. 4 bolts to remove valve cover... and follow step by step

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK, well that DID help. When I saw the pictures I envisioned having to rip half of the thing apart just to get to that point..

Have you ever thought of being a motivational speaker?? LOL

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Make sure and take pictures and post them so we can follow your work;)

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Generally white sweet smelling smoke is coolant, gas (rich) smoke is more black and oil smoke is blue.

I can't wrap my head around why the valves being out of adjustment would cause it to smoke. All the valves do is allow the air/fuel mixture into the cylinders and the burnt gasses to escape. Smoke is from something contaminating the mixture, oil, coolant or excess fuel.

If the valves were tight it could run rough, if they are loose it would be noisy. Unless they were extremely loose it would be hard to notice in the seat of your pants.

advertisement