P1000 HAS ANYONE HAD TROUBLE WITH MOD UNDER SEAT

J

JOHNDEEREMAN

May 7, 2016
NEVADA
ON HOT DAYS I HAVE TROUBLE WITH MOTOR SHUTTING DOWN BECAUSE OF THE HEAT UNDER SEAT I THINK THAT MIT BE PROBLEM ITS AT THE DEALER SECOND TIME NOW FIRST TIME THEY THOUGHT INJECTOR WIRES WERENT ON ALL THE WAY LIVE IN NEV 100 PLUS DAYS BOTH TIMES HAD TAIL WIND AND HOTTER THAN HATIES UNDER SEAT ITS JUST LIKE YOU SHUT KEY OFF SIT FOR A MINUTE ARE TWO STARTS BACK UP I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TEMP THAT MOD UNDER SEAT WORKING RANGE IS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US?

It is hard to read your statement or question, I'm not sure which it is.

What's a MOD?

Are you wanting help to see why it shuts down?

Or wanting help to reduce cabin heat?

Please try to not have a long "run on" sentence and use punctuation so you can help us understand your question or statement.

Reactions: Stauvo and sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll take a stab at it. Which mod are you referring to? The heat shielding? And you want to know if anyone else has had a problem with engine shutting down when it gets hot correct? Joey makes a valid point. Punctuation really makes it more understandable.

Reactions: Stauvo
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
ON HOT DAYS I HAVE TROUBLE WITH MOTOR SHUTTING DOWN BECAUSE OF THE HEAT UNDER SEAT I THINK THAT MIT BE PROBLEM ITS AT THE DEALER SECOND TIME NOW FIRST TIME THEY THOUGHT INJECTOR WIRES WERENT ON ALL THE WAY LIVE IN NEV 100 PLUS DAYS BOTH TIMES HAD TAIL WIND AND HOTTER THAN HATIES UNDER SEAT ITS JUST LIKE YOU SHUT KEY OFF SIT FOR A MINUTE ARE TWO STARTS BACK UP I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TEMP THAT MOD UNDER SEAT WORKING RANGE IS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM
When you say motor are you talking about the fan for the radiator or the 999cc engine?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is the vehicle overheating? I've heard some people say their engine has gotten too hot from mud blocking the radiator. Not saying that's your problem but I do know that some people have had elevated temps and the engine still runs.

Also, have you heard the radiator fan running? Maybe it's not working.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

He is probably texting from a smart phone and may not be able to see what he is posting. Not trying to insult you JOHNDEEREMAN but I will try to parse out what he is saying.

What I think he is saying:

On hot days I have trouble with the engine shutting down because of the heat under the seat. I think that may be a problem. It's at the dealer a second time now. First time they thought injector wires weren't all the way *plugged in?*. I live in Nevada with 100+ temp days. Both times there was a tail wind and hotter than Hades under the seat. It's just like you shut the key off. Sit for a minute or two and it starts back up.

Now this is what I think he is asking:

I would like to know what the new working temperature range is if you add the modified heat shielding and has anyone else had this problem?

I think he may be concerned that adding shielding to prevent the hot air from coming up into the cab of the Pioneer may be trapping too much heat in the engine compartment and causing the machine to overheat and shut down.

My brother sends texts/letters/emails like this to me all the time. :D

Last edited:
jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not added the heat shielding under the seat, but have been considering it. Out riding today in 97 degree weather is hot enough without a heat gun blowing up my crack. My reservation in adding the heat shielding has been what it will do to the operating temp of the engine and sub trans. If I add the heat shield, I will also add a bilge fan. I am interested in hearing if anyone else has experienced the same issue the OP has.

J

JOHNDEEREMAN

May 7, 2016
NEVADA
SORRY PEOPLE I READ IT AGAIN I AM NOT SURE WHAT THEY CALL THE BOX UNDER THE SEAT THAT RUNS THE MOTOR COMES UP WITH CODES WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG I DONT HAVE ANY HEAT SHEILDS UNDER SEAT WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT THE COMPUTER IS GETTING HOT MAYBE SHUTTING MOTOR DOWN THEN STARTS AGAIN WHEN IT COOLS DOWN I WONDER IF HONDA TESTED P1K IN NEV 100 PLUS HEAT I HAVE OVER 4000 MILES ON IT RUN GOOD UP TO NOW

Reactions: gjzeringue
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow, that's a lot of miles! Congrats on getting to ride that much.

Does the motor run at normal temp?

It is strange that this popped up.

I am running all the heat shields and I'm sure it gets super hot under the seat. We've been in the mid 90° and I haven't seen an issues.

J

JOHNDEEREMAN

May 7, 2016
NEVADA
THE MOTOR NOT OVER HEATING AND FAN WORKING 2 BARS ON THE GAGE THE THREE TIMES IT HAS HAPPENED THEIRS BEEN A 30 MPH TAIL WIND ALOT OF HEAT UNDER SEAT IM TALKING 105 DEGREE TEMP OUTSIDE HAVE NO IDEA TEMP UNDER SEAT BY THE TIME I GOT HOME MY BUT WELL DONE IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN NEXT TIME IM GOING FOR DUTCH OVEN CHICKEN COOKED ON THE SEAT LOL === DUEL PURPOSE SXS

Last edited:
advertisement
BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
Have not had any mechanical issues yet but like most to all who replied on this thread I too am looking for a way to deal w/ the heat from under the seat / engine area especially when driving through water, damn near get scolded . What heat shielding are some of you using? Something aftermarket or just getting creative? I did see someone on the forum who had used what looked like the bubble - radiant barrier such as what we use for a heat shield for our truck wind shield when parked. I think it was also mentioned in that do not want to trap the heat & create an issue either.
Looking @ the openness of the area behind the engine I can see why & how air when driving is being sucked up into the seat/engine area, same principle as w/ a split rear window for your truck, in this case the air then flows up the back of the seat. Would seem if a way for air to come in from the front it (ram air vent) it would then vent out the rear. Either way a different way for air to vented & directed through the engine area & not be stagnant. W/out asking I am not looking @ creating airflow from underneath, gets dirty enough already in that area.
Looks like someone @ Honda just got his sixsigma project...........................

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have not had any mechanical issues yet but like most to all who replied on this thread I too am looking for a way to deal w/ the heat from under the seat / engine area especially when driving through water, damn near get scolded . What heat shielding are some of you using? Something aftermarket or just getting creative? I did see someone on the forum who had used what looked like the bubble - radiant barrier such as what we use for a heat shield for our truck wind shield when parked. I think it was also mentioned in that do not want to trap the heat & create an issue either.
Looking @ the openness of the area behind the engine I can see why & how air when driving is being sucked up into the seat/engine area, same principle as w/ a split rear window for your truck, in this case the air then flows up the back of the seat. Would seem if a way for air to come in from the front it (ram air vent) it would then vent out the rear. Either way a different way for air to vented & directed through the engine area & not be stagnant. W/out asking I am not looking @ creating airflow from underneath, gets dirty enough already in that area.
Looks like someone @ Honda just got his sixsigma project...........................
I bet a person could strategically place frogzskin vents so hot air can escape either on the sides or rear. I am going to investigate this option. If it works I will post a how to.

BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
I bet a person could strategically place frogzskin vents so hot air can escape either on the sides or rear. I am going to investigate this option. If it works I will post a how to.
Cool. Do let us know. Looks like a lot of members would appreciate a fix.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, I quess I'm glad I live in the Northwest. Its 60 degrees outside with showers. Have installed heat shield under seat and up back some. Can ge t solar heat shield material from camping world, real cheap roll, helps alot. Also just received two bilge fans from Amazon. Dealer showed me great spot under front seat to install one. blowing the hot air toward the rear. Anything to move the hot air away from the engine area under the front seat will help. good luck feel your pain living in south with 100 plus weather. Us northern guys and Canada and Alaska will enjoy the heat in winter hunting season :)

BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
Wow, I quess I'm glad I live in the Northwest. Its 60 degrees outside with showers. Have installed heat shield under seat and up back some. Can ge t solar heat shield material from camping world, real cheap roll, helps alot. Also just received two bilge fans from Amazon. Dealer showed me great spot under front seat to install one. blowing the hot air toward the rear. Anything to move the hot air away from the engine area under the front seat will help. good luck feel your pain living in south with 100 plus weather. Us northern guys and Canada and Alaska will enjoy the heat in winter hunting season :)
You got it w/ the 100+ days here but like you for hunting season the heat coming up from the back of the seat will be appreciated. For sure no need to buy the heater here w/ all the heat coming from the seat.
Ok, when you can do share about where you have been advised to put a fan for pushing the heat out, what fan you got etc. Also, I have to make a run to Camping World soon so will be looking into the heat shield you mentioned - have a $25.00 coupon to use there so perfect timing. Thanks for the heads up for the heat shield.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone wanting to do their own heat shields, the sticky back stuff that Home Depot sells works great under the seat. It's less than 15 bucks too. It's right next to the foam plumbing wrap. Only downside is if you have to get in there for something and you have to remove it. That's why I bought the removable one from bayouownbeer.
I have a plan in mind to make an engine cover that will cover the part of the engine facing the seat. Just waiting on time to do more designing and get my hands on some sheet metal.

Reactions: Stauvo
jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone wanting to do their own heat shields, the sticky back stuff that Home Depot sells works great under the seat. It's less than 15 bucks too. It's right next to the foam plumbing wrap. Only downside is if you have to get in there for something and you have to remove it. That's why I bought the removable one from bayouownbeer.
I have a plan in mind to make an engine cover that will cover the part of the engine facing the seat. Just waiting on time to do more designing and get my hands on some sheet metal.

Getting access to the area under the seat is a big consideration for me too. That is why I have been thinking that something that was adhered to the seat bottom would be a good idea. That way when you took the seat out you have open access. Also thinking about putting the insulation against the front wall to keep my legs from getting so hot.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Getting access to the area under the seat is a big consideration for me too. That is why I have been thinking that something that was adhered to the seat bottom would be a good idea. That way when you took the seat out you have open access. Also thinking about putting the insulation against the front wall to keep my legs from getting so hot.
I doubled it up by applying it to the underside of bottom seat and to the frame. But like I said, I had to pull it up to access the openings. I'm gonna make drop in pans out of sheet metal for those openings. I'll put a lip on them so they just sit in there. Then apply the shield to the bottom of the pans. That should be a permanent fix for the seating area except for the plastic piece between the cushions. That area should stay fairly cool after I install a cover for the engine. Work needs to leave me alone so I can work on this stuff lol.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
THE MOTOR NOT OVER HEATING AND FAN WORKING 2 BARS ON THE GAGE THE THREE TIMES IT HAS HAPPENED THEIRS BEEN A 30 MPH TAIL WIND ALOT OF HEAT UNDER SEAT IM TALKING 105 DEGREE TEMP OUTSIDE HAVE NO IDEA TEMP UNDER SEAT BY THE TIME I GOT HOME MY BUT WELL DONE IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN NEXT TIME IM GOING FOR DUTCH OVEN CHICKEN COOKED ON THE SEAT LOL === DUEL PURPOSE SXS

@JOHNDEEREMAN Welcome to the club. Please when posting, do not type in all capital letters. Maybe consider using some punctuation, it is very difficult to decipher what you are trying to say or ask, especially in the first post.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The 4 inch fan is easy to install. I bought the parts at ACE Hardware. I angled the fan a bit to the header pipes and moved it back a bit. Dropped the temp from 152 degrees to under 110. It got hot on a slow 30 minute section under 10 mph in 90 degree weather.

P1070638 P1070639 P1070640

advertisement