P1000 Hand Winch vs Electric???

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone got any thoughts on this. I have a new PK3, full hard cab and mostly used on the farm. I've own JD Gators for the past 20 years and I've only been stuck in the mud a handfull or so times. But it was no big deal, just wall back to the barn and get the tractor. Now I'm thinking of going other places where I don't have the option on going back to the barn to get the tractor so I been looking long and hard at winches. From what I can tell, all winches for UTV's are made in China, including Warn. All but Ramsey, which is to large to mount in the factory bumper area on the 1000 pioneer.
I have two problems. One I don't like to buy from China and two, the cost and maintenance for an electric winch and all the other items you'll need to run it. I'm not just talking the winch cost. You guys know. Dual batteries, winch mount, voltmeters, cleaning and waterproofing maintenance, etc. And from what I seen, through testing, electric winches kill your battery very fast.
Also, I'm older, and my mud running days are over. I'll go through the mud when I think I've got a 90% chance of making it but not when you have no chance at all. But as life is the unexpected gets you every now and then, and boom, your stuck. So look at this. You don't get hung up much, you don't have all the maintenance and you don't have all the cost of an electric winch. But, when you do get hung up you've got more hand work and more time involved with recovery. Something neat through is your also talking about rear recovery and side recovery with the hand winch. I been weighing the these options and I've went back and forth but I think I've come all the way around again and the hand winch will work better for me. Your thoughts?
I'm a farmer, so the hand winch would be good for other chores around the farm. Pulling stumps, etc. Check out the website of the hand puller I've landed on: Order Online! | The More Power Puller® by The Wyeth-Scott Company.
Here's a picture:

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Would it work? Yes. I have one hanging in my garage that I have used in the past. It's not anywhere near as fast or easy.

For the price of that.......buy a real winch.

I also have a Hi-Lift jack that is useful in certain instances.

I understand the China garbage, but this is directly from the WS website......."Is The More Power Puller® made in the USA?Yes. Our ductile iron castings are 100% made in America. Most of our other parts are also made here, but not 100%. Depending on the model, between 80% and 85% of the parts are from the USA."

I don't know how to totally avoid the global market we have going on........

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Anyone got any thoughts on this. I have a new PK3, full hard cab and mostly used on the farm. I've own JD Gators for the past 20 years and I've only been stuck in the mud a handfull or so times. But it was no big deal, just wall back to the barn and get the tractor. Now I'm thinking of going other places where I don't have the option on going back to the barn to get the tractor so I been looking long and hard at winches. From what I can tell, all winches for UTV's are made in China, including Warn. All but Ramsey, which is to large to mount in the factory bumper area on the 1000 pioneer.
I have two problems. One I don't like to buy from China and two, the cost and maintenance for an electric winch and all the other items you'll need to run it. I'm not just talking the winch cost. You guys know. Dual batteries, winch mount, voltmeters, cleaning and waterproofing maintenance, etc. And from what I seen, through testing, electric winches kill your battery very fast.
Also, I'm older, and my mud running days are over. I'll go through the mud when I think I've got a 90% chance of making it but not when you have no chance at all. But as life is the unexpected gets you every now and then, and boom, your stuck. So look at this. You don't get hung up much, you don't have all the maintenance and you don't have all the cost of an electric winch. But, when you do get hung up you've got more hand work and more time involved with recovery. Something neat through is your also talking about rear recovery and side recovery with the hand winch. I been weighing the these options and I've went back and forth but I think I've come all the way around again and the hand winch will work better for me. Your thoughts?
I'm a farmer, so the hand winch would be good for other chores around the farm. Pulling stumps, etc. Check out the website of the hand puller I've landed on: Order Online! | The More Power Puller® by The Wyeth-Scott Company.
Here's a picture: View attachment 327941
A few years back I had a slow speed flop, If it wouldn't have been for other people having winches I would have been in a pickle, it took two winches and some knowledgeable guys to deal with that situation. So I have a winch not just for me but others as well.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For $476 dollars, no way. Get an electric winch.
The kit comes with most everything you need for less money. You don’t HAVE to run a second battery for occasional short term use.
You say you won’t hit mud unless 90% certain of passage. So you likely won’t get mired too bad. If you’re even a little bit stuck you’ll be working your ass off to get out with a manual which. With an electric winch you won’t even break a sweat.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Here's a picture: View attachment 327941

You said yourself you're getting older. Making it easy on yourself is priority one. Go with an electric IMO. There isn't that much maintenance that goes into them really.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Everyone has good points. I've only ran hydraulic winches on large equipment and have no knowledge of electric winches. It seems a lot of the articles I read on electric winches people are having trouble with not having enough battery life when using one. I read where they say 30 seconds and let it charge for a minute or two and winch again. I'm sure most don't do that and that may be a reason for battery drainage. Let me ask you guys this, if I have a 4500 to 5000 lb. winch and I'm stuck pretty good, how much battery would I need?

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It seems a lot of the articles I read
Where are u reading these from?

To answer your last question, if your not putting a bunch of mods, lighting etc. the main batt should be fine. If your adding a buch of stuff than a second battery is preferred.
If your just pulling yourself out And not pulling a bunch of stumps and a house out I wouldnt worry about it.

advertisement
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I'm tried of thinking so I just pulled the plug on a Honcho Ramsey 5000R. I'd found it on ebay and have been watching it. It's brand new in the box. I just got lucky finding it at the right time. Picked up, with freight included for $503.74. These things list for over $1400 on Ramsey's website. I think I'll like it, I can use a lot around the farm cleaning trees of fence and not have to go get the tractor. Here's a Pic:

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, I'm tried of thinking so I just pulled the plug on a Honcho Ramsey 5000R. I'd found it on ebay and have been watching it. It's brand new in the box. I just got lucky finding it at the right time. Picked up, with freight included for $503.74. These things list for over $1400 on Ramsey's website. I think I'll like it, I can use a lot around the farm cleaning trees of fence and not have to go get the tractor. Here's a Pic: View attachment 327989
I bought a Viper 6000, w/ wireless remote, dash switch, solenoid, all the wiring, blue winch rope, fairlead and shipping for under $ 475.00 from the Club Store here. I hope you don't have clearance issues with where the controller plugs in to the winch.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a Viper 6000, w/ wireless remote, dash switch, solenoid, all the wiring, blue winch rope, fairlead and shipping for under $ 475.00 from the Club Store here. I hope you don't have clearance issues with where the controller plugs in to the winch.
It won't fit. I going with a top mount. I'll either fab it or by a bumper made for it. I'm goning to get it here first and see what I need to do. I did look at a remote setup for the unit. It's about $100 to $150. I don't know if I'll need it or not. I may get mounted and try it out some and see how it works before I can make a call whither I need a remote.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you going to stay with the cable or go to rope? I'd go with rope, everything is easier. Replace the cable before you ever use it, so the cable doesn't get a chance to gouge up your fairlead and spindle first.

advertisement