P1000 Glad I paid extra for those nice Deluxe tires....

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
That is why you buy a non deluxe P5. Take the 1200 bucks in savings and buy some itp 316s and Evos, side panels and a light bar. Sell stock tires and you will have a better bike for the same money.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That is why you buy a non deluxe P5. Take the 1200 bucks in savings and buy some itp 316s and Evos, side panels and a light bar. Sell stock tires and you will have a better bike for the same money.

It was only $800 difference where I got mine but I don't disagree at all.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
I don't think I could be driving it much easier on it than I am now. Plus everyone is telling me I need to drive it hard to make the clutches better. You know, if you drive too slow, the clutches will slip. Since the tires are cheaper than replacing the clutch, I guess I will just have to deal with plugged up tires.

I verified the tire pressure after bring it home. It was dead on 13 psi on the front and 14 psi on the back measured with a digital air pressure gauge per the manufacturer's recommendation.

This was a puncture between the lugs. Whatever it was, it was very small in diameter and was no longer present. It took some serious effort to get that plug in there.
Then I guess you're just unlucky since it sounds like you drove over an ice pick. Sorry for trying to help, I must be drunk on the Koolaid.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The only reason that I pointed out the driving style is because sticks or stalks that a smaller machine might roll right over can turn into spike strips for a heavier sxs.

I can buy that. But that was the reason I went with the "upgraded", heavier duty 6 ply (according to Honda's literature) tires.

That is also why I put "6 ply" in quotes because I don't believe these tires are what they are claimed to be.

That was the whole reason I was disappointed, I bought what I thought was a tough 6 Ply Radial UTV tires and instead I got something that a field stob or a twig punched through while I was driving at 10 MPH.

If I would have known that these were junk tires, I would have waited and got a standard 1000-5 and put some nice black wheels and some Sedona Ripsaws or some Bighorn Originals on it.

But, I fell for the Marketing, again...

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
I can buy that. But that was the reason I went with the "upgraded", heavier duty 6 ply (according to Honda's literature) tires.

That is also why I put "6 ply" in quotes because I don't believe these tires are what they are claimed to be.

That was the whole reason I was disappointed, I bought what I thought was a tough 6 Ply Radial UTV tires and instead I got something that a field stob or a twig punched through while I was driving at 10 MPH.

If I would have known that these were junk tires, I would have waited and got a standard 1000-5 and put some nice black wheels and some Sedona Ripsaws or some Bighorn Originals on it.

That's a fair gripe but I don't think I've ever seen an advertised ply count for the P1K tires. You sure you actually read that somewhere and it wasn't just a comment on here?

Reactions: dotman1
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think you should trade that POS in on a Kimco. I wouldn't put up with that beater you bought for another day.

Actually, if I decide to get rid of it, I will sell it on here.

I should get close to what I paid for it since it is such a nice machine, right? All of the "Honda bleeders" should jump at the opportunity to get a perfectly fine piece of equipment that has been very, very well taken care of and not abused at all that will only get better as it is used.

As a matter of fact, I should get within $500 of my purchase price because it is a Honda after all.

Much better deal than what I would get trading it in on an "inferior" machine.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's a fair gripe but I don't think I've ever seen an advertised ply count for the P1K tires. You sure you actually read that somewhere and it wasn't just a comment on here?

I thought I read somewhere that the Non-Deluxe had a 6 ply bias tire and the Deluxe had a 6 ply Radial tire.

However, I can't find where I read that but I did find a couple of different sources that mentioned a 4 ply Radial tire on the Deluxe. So I will have to give Honda a "by" on that one. I haven't been able to find anything mentioned on their site about ply rating at all. I will have to take a look a my tires when I get home today. I could have sworn that I saw that somewhere.

Assuming no one buys it from me, I will just swap these out with some "real" tires when they are so full of plugs I can't use them anymore.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think the hole in your tire may have just been circumstances. Maybe happen to any. But keep in mind @Crow_Hunter this is a heavy machine! We always call them pokie things funny but true. No matter the tire you need to stay away from that stuff. We've got holes all over out machine in the plastics from sticks and yet still have air. Not saying it doesn't happen but you need to look out for stuff. The two things we will watch out for(again sometimes unavoidable) are pokie things and hidden stumps or rocks in the grass or water to take out suspension.

the six ply any tire should hold up to a lot, however it does to a degree come down to how close the lugs are the closer bigger they are it'll usually have less problems. Tundra man does have a point though about selling the stockies when new and getting a set you want. That's not too bad of an idea you could sell local and buy online win-win.

Reactions: Massey1635
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
It was only $800 difference where I got mine but I don't disagree at all.
One dealers prices show a 1300 difference and that without selling takeoffs.
B7212c080c68fd57a47b424aac6f24be

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
View attachment 18281

Those are slightly better prices than what I was offered.

It was $14,194 for the -5 and $14,994 for the -5D version.

For the price difference that you had, I would definitely have gone with the non-deluxe version.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 18281
Dammit guys none of the dealers in this area will touch that number! I'm pretty sure they are more readily available towards the manufacturer but I get pissed when I see that. I love the machine I'd do it again even for more money but you guys save enough to add 5-6 good factory accessories...

Reactions: Eltobgi
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Think BLACKWATER EVOLUTION next time... 8ply That's what will be my next tire purchase.

Do you advise them over the Bighorn originals? I have read they are extremely long wearing and puncture resistant.

I had my eyes originally on the Sedona Ripsaws but that was entirely based on what I read and heard relating to people doing Moab area stuff which isn't really my type of terrain. I also liked the shape and number of *lugs*, seemed like it would have less area of low material for punctures.

I do like the look of those quite a bit though. Seems to have much less open area than the Bighorns.

Last edited:
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Crow_Hunter I'll take the heat for you getting a white one (because it's awesome). But will deny anyhing else!:D

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
@Crow_Hunter I'll take the heat for you getting a white one (because it's awesome). But will deny anyhing else!:D

:)

Now that I have had it a while and thought about it, the white isn't so bad. I liked the looks of the silver more (mostly because of the black wheels) but honestly the white is probably easier to take care of and plus, it makes me look like a pretentious prick because it matches my truck. :D

Assuming I keep it, if Honda ever releases body panels that are all solid black, I may be seriously tempted to get them and get some red pin striping and some bead lock tires with a red lock rim. That new Yamaha 2017 YZX SS model in black/red is the best looking trim package SXS that I have ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stauvo
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If I had no other dislikes, worries or complaints about the machine, I would agree completely. Stuff happens.

Unfortunately, since I shelled out all this money for something I really don't like and even an extra $800 for these "upgraded" wheels and tires, this feels much more like someone added a cherry on top of my $hit sundae.[/QUOTE
Do you advise them over the Bighorn originals? I have read they are extremely long wearing and puncture resistant.

I had my eyes originally on the Sedona Ripsaws but that was entirely based on what I read and heard relating to people doing Moab area stuff which isn't really my type of terrain. I also liked the shape and number of *lugs*, seemed like it would have less area of low material for punctures.

I do like the look of those quite a bit though. Seems to have much less open area than the Bighorns.
the Sedona ripsaw RT is the tire I run on my 2011 foreman. Great tire! Never had a flat! The were pretty good in snow conditions but needed tire speed for them to be effective. Over trees and wooded areas the lugs on these tires would grab everything. Overall I'd buy them again. But when I do decide to replace my stock 4 ply bighorn 2.0's I will definitely reach out on this forum! Always good advice!

Reactions: Crow_Hunter

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Don't advise anything to CH he'll blame you for carousing him into buying them when he doesn't like them! JK, but seriously I've heard good things. Only tire I've personally had that are tough and cheap are the Bear claw HTRs. 8ply to boot. My 6ply stockers on the 1000 are pretty tough too.
:)

Now that I have had it a while and thought about it, the white isn't so bad. I liked the looks of the silver more (mostly because of the black wheels) but honestly the white is probably easier to take care of and plus, it makes me look like a pretentious prick because it matches my truck. :D

Assuming I keep it, if Honda ever releases body panels that are all solid black, I may be seriously tempted to get them and get some red pin striping and some bead lock tires with a red lock rim. That new Yamaha 2017 YZX SS model in black/red is the best looking trim package SXS that I have ever seen.
Not sure if you saw (on an unrelated note) the Wolverines have been recalled (over 10,000 units) for the decompression spring failing. I'm almost certain mine fell into to this range. I would have been a little perturbed having to have my unit broken into. Goes to show none are immune. Thought you might find that interesting and breathe a little relief amidst your dissatisfaction you didn't scoop up a Wolverine before that issue was resolved.

advertisement