P1000 Glad I paid extra for those nice Deluxe tires....

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
:mad:

$800 more for those "premium" Maxis Big Horn 2.0 "6 ply" tires.....

72 miles = flat tire

So far my "customer experience" is really not living up to my expectations.

By the way, I have driven over the same area for nearly 10 years with the cheap factory Dunlop tires on my Rincon and the cheap Maxxis whatevers on my wife's Recon and never had to plug anything.

:(

Reactions: WisconsinFan
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

72 miles = flat tire

View attachment 18253

By the way, I have driven over the same area for nearly 10 years with the cheap factory Dunlop tires on my Rincon and the cheap Maxxis whatevers on my wife's Recon and never had to plug anything.

I too have had to install a plug in one of my 2.0 maxis Bighorn 4 ply deluxe tires. It is the first time I have had to deal with a flat in many years, luckily my buddy carried a plug kit and compressor(which I now carry by the way). I actually am really happy with the tires, but look forward to a better tire in the future. Oh well, I guess all we can do is try to get our moneys worth out of them:(

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
s*** happens.
In this case I am sorry it happened to you so soon.
I have enjoyed my tires so far. No complaints.
Put a set of GBC Dirt Commander, 8 ply on my 700, had a tire pinch cut and a hole first trip so I do feel your pain.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5

72 miles = flat tire

View attachment 18253

I feel your pain.
I learned with the Wolverine that "Bighorn 2.0's" are not really Bighorn 2.0's when I looked at the ply rating and the front were 2 and rear were 4. I wander if Honda had their own special version made for them like Yamaha did?

Reactions: Crow_Hunter

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hate to say it, but my non-deluxe 6plys have been pretty dang tough so far. Been in knife-edge rocks (you've seen some of the pics on another thread) with no problems yet... May get some HTRs very soon. Was looking at the Strong made for just a slight lift, but after reading @Hondasxs thread, the WE's look great. Let's see what tomorrow brings before shelling out another 2-3K in my 1000 ;)

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hate to say it, but my non-deluxe 6plys have been pretty dang tough so far. Been in knife-edge rocks (you've seen some of the pics on another thread) with no problems yet... May get some HTRs very soon. Was looking at the Strong made for just a slight lift, but after reading @Hondasxs thread, the WE's look great. Let's see what tomorrow brings before shelling out another 2-3K in my 1000 ;)

Yeah. I am looking forward to what Honda releases tomorrow too.

Reactions: 500
R

rmk700

Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I punched a hole in the side walls on both the front and back hitting the same rock and the rock didnt have any sharp edges. I really think 6 plys are the minimum for sxs'

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ohh well, I made it 63 miles when mine got sliced, that was back in Oct of 2015. 27" bighorns are easier to find now then they were then. Between the tire popping and the clutch issues you are having maybe you should looking into a different brand. Did you do any research before buying the Honda??

Reactions: Springer
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ohh well, I made it 63 miles when mine got sliced, that was back in Oct of 2015. 27" bighorns are easier to find now then they were then. Between the tire popping and the clutch issues you are having maybe you should looking into a different brand. Did you do any research before buying the Honda??
Yes he did! More then then nasa did before its first trip to the moon

Reactions: Stauvo and Eltobgi
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
In nearly a year with the 1000's we've only had one flat cut in the side. I actually like the performance of these tires but I've always been very careful with the side walls. They are very good in the mud/snow but wear like crap and sure lose lugs. Best all around tire we've ever had was the Rip Saw. We've had two set one was only about 700 miles before sold that vehicle but the other made it 1600 on the p700 and then about 1000 miles on our Polaris 850. Still good tread missing very few lugs never a plug or problem. Very very good wear even on pavement super good on rocks very good tire. So smooth as well you could cruise in comfort at 60. Tended to pack a bit in heavy mud but clean out with power ok. The 1000 is very hard on tires because of sheer weight,power and ability but my next set will be Sedona. I'll sacrifice a little in the mud for such reliability. I hated Sedona on a dirtbike and looked at a couple reviews before we got them but sure like those.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Haha, very funny.

Actually I did more research on this than just about any purchase I have made in years. Unfortunately, a very large part of my research was on this site based on what people posted and quizzing current owners.

I think this seriously tainted my research with Survivorship Bias and some pretty large doses of Confirmation Bias.

Ideally, I should have taken my wife up on the offer to take a trip to Windrock and try out several different rental units and make a decision then. But I got too excited and "wanted it now!".:rolleyes:

I am now paying that price.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry you're having such bad luck with your rig. I'm sure I helped contribute to your decision with all my positive reviews. I only put a couple hundred miles on my Bighorns before buying 8ply Evos. I was out with daughter yesterday flying through a dried out creek bed. (Knock on wood) I've yet to have any tire problems, or any other kind for that matter.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sorry you're having such bad luck with your rig. I'm sure I helped contribute to your decision with all my positive reviews. I only put a couple hundred miles on my Bighorns before buying 8ply Evos. I was out with daughter yesterday flying through a dried out creek bed. (Knock on wood) I've yet to have any tire problems, or any other kind for that matter.

I am ultimately responsible for my decision making.

I just should have taken more time and got more varied inputs before making a decision.

Now I have to decide if I am going to try and sell it before the general public finds out that there is no 2017 Pioneer 1000 and connects the dots (1983 Corvette...) or wait and see if it gets better/Honda stands behind their current owners.

Who knows, I might be able to get close to an even trade on a Pioneer 700-4 Deluxe with similar accessories and just chock this experience up to paying "stupid tax" again. I've done it before.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
In all fairness, tires on a factory machine can not be an indicator of satisfaction of that machine as a whole. Look at it as a starting point or a blank slate for what your machine can be according to your own vision or needs. Like I said I too had a flat, but overall I am very pleased.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
In all fairness, tires on a factory machine can not be an indicator of satisfaction of that machine as a whole. Look at it as a starting point or a blank slate for what your machine can be according to your own vision or needs. Like I said I too had a flat, but overall I am very pleased.

If I had no other dislikes, worries or complaints about the machine, I would agree completely. Stuff happens.

Unfortunately, since I shelled out all this money for something I really don't like and even an extra $800 for these "upgraded" wheels and tires, this feels much more like someone added a cherry on top of my $hit sundae.

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you may need to buy one of them Chinese made sxs that are made with every other brand parts, that way you can have multiple brands to blame.Those of us who bleed Honda red are becoming offended by a regretful decision you have made.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015

Rincons on Dunlops don't weight close to 2000lbs all up so you might need adjust your driving style a bit. Not trying to be a dick, it's just easy to hit stuff way harder than you think in one of these things.

Also check your tire pressure. SXS are especially susceptible to pinch flats if the pressure is low.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Rincons on Dunlops don't weight close to 2000lbs all up so you might need adjust your driving style a bit. Not trying to be a dick, it's just easy to hit stuff way harder than you think in one of these things.

Also check your tire pressure. SXS are especially susceptible to pinch flats if the pressure is low.

I don't think I could be driving it much easier on it than I am now. Plus everyone is telling me I need to drive it hard to make the clutches better. You know, if you drive too slow, the clutches will slip. Since the tires are cheaper than replacing the clutch, I guess I will just have to deal with plugged up tires.

I verified the tire pressure after bring it home. It was dead on 13 psi on the front and 14 psi on the back measured with a digital air pressure gauge per the manufacturer's recommendation.

This was a puncture between the lugs. Whatever it was, it was very small in diameter and was no longer present. It took some serious effort to get that plug in there.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sounds like you may need to buy one of them Chinese made sxs that are made with every other brand parts, that way you can have multiple brands to blame.Those of us who bleed Honda red are becoming offended by a regretful decision you have made.

I have never owned anything other than Honda offroad vehicles before and on top of that my wife's Grandfather used to be a Honda dealer. That experience is why I went with Honda over the Yamaha Wolverine or a Kawasaki Teryx.

Sorry I am offending those of you who have severe brand bias by detailing my disappointment. Apparently my Pioneer 1000 was missing the special Kool-aide packet in the manual.

Do you guys hear an echo?

Last edited:
advertisement