P1000 Gas peddle very jerky

D

Dasmoeturhead

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone else seems to think the throttle is very jerky at low speed or when trying to take off slow. If so any suggestions on a fix. I have been able to adjust better than my wife when she is driving it around the yard. I ask the dealer and he said that's just the way they are and I should try driving it in low and see if that makes it any better. Any suggestions or is it something that takes practice. Thanks
YUP!!!!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Like the trottle max design, DIY or theirs, can flip it up with foot if you want to go back to OEM sytle peddle. Easy install. Spoke to owner, think he is a retired first responder, glad to help him out, had one over a year and always use it. You tube video posted on bumpy trail, low speed, turn up volume to hear smooth rpms.

Last edited:
EagleEye

EagleEye

Sep 5, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Tpdbill
Where in Ohio are you?
Here is a screenshot of the throttle adjustments.
View attachment 56176
I tried following the user manuals instructions for adjusting the throttle, but could not find the adjustment referred to in step 2 minor adjustments. I did perform adjustments on the other, and it seemed to help.

Reactions: Plumber32
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Next time I am near my machine, I will look under the seat and take a picture of it if I can find it.

E

Elbow

Jul 25, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I realize this is a 2017 thread but I have a 2017 machine.
In my experience, the throttle is impossible to control smoothly on slow, rough, hilly trails. It's not a matter of practice and experience, like some say. I have 60 years of experience driving all types of machines.
Also, the Honda Pioneer has no power at all (not enough rpm's) until you get to 7 kph in low gear, which makes it very hard to use on rough hilly trails. And at very slow speeds on rough terrain, the clutch tends to slip (and burn). This machine needs a lower gear.
But as usual, Honda blames these problems on "Operator Error". Honda's "brilliant" solution is to use the winch.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I realize this is a 2017 thread but I have a 2017 machine.
In my experience, the throttle is impossible to control smoothly on slow, rough, hilly trails. It's not a matter of practice and experience, like some say. I have 60 years of experience driving all types of machines.
Also, the Honda Pioneer has no power at all (not enough rpm's) until you get to 7 kph in low gear, which makes it very hard to use on rough hilly trails. And at very slow speeds on rough terrain, the clutch tends to slip (and burn). This machine needs a lower gear.
But as usual, Honda blames these problems on "Operator Error". Honda's "brilliant" solution is to use the winch.
You like copying and pasting huh? 😏
Post #23
Aaaaaaand Post#5
I think one time will do bud.

M

Medic828

Sep 7, 2020
Central Ky.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cut a 2x10 to length to lay in floor with a 4" notch cut out of it under accelerator pedal for clearance will help greatly. Allows use of mainly toe of shoe to operate pedal while rest of foot is rested securely on top of board. Painted black and you don't even notice it's been placed there, and glue some rubber strips on bottom if you like to be sure it doesn't slide around.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
After reading the same posts a few more times 🤯 🤣
Sounds like you need to downgrade to a Poo Poo then come back to the P1. You will be rock hard for months and you’ll forget about all this ;)

Reactions: Smitty335
A

AEmedic

Aug 20, 2023
Boise, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone else seems to think the throttle is very jerky at low speed or when trying to take off slow. If so any suggestions on a fix. I have been able to adjust better than my wife when she is driving it around the yard. I ask the dealer and he said that's just the way they are and I should try driving it in low and see if that makes it any better. Any suggestions or is it something that takes practice. Thanks
I have noticed the same thing and it will start to buck if you aren't careful.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have noticed the same thing and it will start to buck if you aren't careful.
Its like driving a bobcat, when it starts porpoising the only way to stop it is more throttle or no throttle.
When you drive a manual vehicle you are coordinating both throttle and clutch(and mostly ignoring clutch slip. On the Pioneer 1000 You are in control of the throttle, but a computer is controlling the clutch and its main concern is to get the clutch fully engaged and try to be smooth about it. It tries to anticipate throttle input and when You and It arent in sync the bucking starts.
I find the type of footwear you use is just as important as adapting to the driving style needed for a dual clutch tranny.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would agree. I CANNOT drive mine with muck boots on. I need a good shoe (or Chaco sandal) that allows me to have control over the throttle.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
If your new to it it took me a month’s worth of riding to get used to the pedal, it’s like a extension of myself now. 4k miles.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Carefully and smootthly work the gas pedal and drive it to the nearest Yamaha dealer and trade it in for a machine that has a great throttle pedal, with 3 way throttle mapping.

• Haha
Reactions: Scoop and Remington
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Carefully and smootthly work the gas pedal and drive it to the nearest Yamaha dealer and trade it in for a machine that has a great throttle pedal, with 3 way throttle mapping.

I hear they are having a special and even include spares:

71EejQUDSQL AC SL1200

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I hear they are having a special and even include spares:

View attachment 400134
Maybe you can ball up those rubber bands and put the heel of your foot on them so you don't have to hold your knee up in the air to work your gas pedal.

It can be an official Honda Product Information Bulletin.

Reactions: TxDoc
advertisement