P1000 Fox QS3: worth the upgrade?

Q

Quetico

Apr 28, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Likely going to put money down to order a new ‘22 this week. Currently own a P500. The only thing leaning me towards the Trail are the upgraded Fox shocks. Think those are worth $2k over the Deluxe? I know there are other mild differences; I’m fine with the i4wd vs locker.

We ride in Michigan. Casual pace. Lots of sandy trails and forest roads. The ORV routes are washboard af, so we’re really looking for a solution to that. We’d like to be able to use some route sections without getting so banged around.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
forest roads. The ORV routes are washboard af, so we’re really looking for a solution to that. We’d like to be able to use some route sections without getting so banged around.
Yes our trails are Wasboard af here in MI lol.
(For those of you in Reo Linda there sandy snowmobile trails) Yes I'd get the fox upgrade like said above with a deluxe you will buy them later anyway. I had stockers on mine years ago and upgraded to fox and haven't looked back. Foxes are hard to come by right now to buy aftermarket Let's Go Brandon! so getting them already on the machine is a plus.

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I upgraded my 16 P1K-5 DLX with Fox. In hindsight, wish I would have gone with 814's. Better shocks for less $$. But either way, it's a very easy job to swap shocks and worth saving the cash upfront.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not sure if the 22 i4WD is similar to the previous model LE but I make the assumption that it is. With that assumption comes the potential upgrades that are available to be much less on i4WD versions VS the standard pioneer drive line. Mainly axles, and lifts are more plentiful for the non i4WD version. That may change for the future since Honda is using i4WD in more models. With that being said: you are considering a 22 model, my understanding is that either route you go for the 22 model the changes made to the machine have already limited the upgrade options available to you. So you really could choose what you want: deluxe versus trail and still have limited upgrade options for a short while. With that being said, my understanding is that any of the top shelf shock companies are worth the investment. There was a thread on the forum that described getting a good price on Fox shocks thru a website called Ron Ayers I believe. However when I checked yesterday the links were broken and the site did not produce any available shocks for the pioneer at a discount. Current average fox shocks are back up around 1700ish in price. I am not sure where anyone today can purchase fox shocks at $1400. If you don't mind the i4WD I would recommend spending the money up front on the trail edition. Plus long term investment on a "higher" trim package always means better future resale value.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I upgraded my 16 P1K-5 DLX with Fox. In hindsight, wish I would have gone with 814's. Better shocks for less $$. But either way, it's a very easy job to swap shocks and worth saving the cash upfront.

I had 814s on for about a month before I yanked them and bought some Foxes.

The limiter straps are a burden (cheap-out over built-in limiters) and you wind up using a box of washers to get everything mounted up because they're a "universal fit."

They felt like I was riding on springs.

Besides that, they used to be a lot cheaper, until they raised the price by $400.

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had 814s on for about a month before I yanked them and bought some Foxes.

The limiter straps are a burden (cheap-out over built-in limiters) and you wind up using a box of washers to get everything mounted up because they're a "universal fit."

They felt like I was riding on springs.

Besides that, they used to be a lot cheaper, until they raised the price by $400.
Thanks, that's good info. That is the first I've heard in that vain. It seemed that most were pretty happy and the 814's were much better ride wise due to adjustability on both ends. "Learn something new every day!"

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The site you were referring to was www.Ronayers.com They have raised the price by quite a bit when I just checked. You have to log in to get a better price, but here is the new one. With this new info I would go with the Trail that comes with the fox shocks.

advertisement
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The site you were referring to was www.Ronayers.com They have raised the price by quite a bit when I just checked. You have to log in to get a better price, but here is the new one. With this new info I would go with the Trail that comes with the fox shocks.

View attachment 329145
And mine that I bought in November are still on backorder for the fronts. They say I should have them by mid May

C

chaos19671

Feb 10, 2021
somewhere pa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've been looking at the Bandit Level 4's. Yep they're on B/O like every other shock out there. Anyone have good/bad info on them?

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement