Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'll

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk
In the early 90's, my bosses wife bought a Toyota Cressida, best quality car I have ever seen.

Reactions: TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The current F1 engine?
Well, it's news pertaining to Indy cars. I just thought someone might be interested. Years ago, Tony Firestone, kinda made Indy car racing uninteresting for me.

I have friends who were big NASCAR fans and attended many races and the Indy 500 as season ticket holders. But, with the NASCAR rules changes, which I can't list, they surprised me and mentioned that they just no longer watch or follow it.

I thought this technology, as most racing technology, might be something to be aware of as it may surface in street cars and it would be good to understand where it came from and what iterations it went thru to reach the everyday auto use.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

Reactions: Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well, it's news pertaining to Indy cars. I just thought someone might be interested. Years ago, Tony Firestone, kinda made Indy car racing uninteresting for me.

I have friends who were big NASCAR fans and attended many races and the Indy 500 as season ticket holders. But, with the NASCAR rules changes, which I can't list, they surprised me and mentioned that they just no longer watch or follow it.

I thought this technology, as most racing technology, might be something to be aware of as it may surface in street cars and it would be good to understand where it came from and what iterations it went thru to reach the everyday auto use.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

The F1 engine recovers the energy from the rear wheels and uses the MGU to dispense power to the engine, which sounds similar to this new Honda setup. But, that energy is stored in a battery, not capacitors. These supercapacitors sound a little dangerous IMO.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The F1 engine recovers the energy from the rear wheels and uses the MGU to dispense power to the engine, which sounds similar to this new Honda setup. But, that energy is stored in a battery, not capacitors. These supercapacitors sound a little dangerous IMO.
You already know, in F1 voltage that can kill you without protective equipment is around 1000 volts DC (?). Electric chairs use DC from 750-2,000 volts. And when the red light is flashing, safety personnel are not supposed to touch the car without safety gloves, etc.

And, on heat pumps, they have starter capacitors to give that jolt needed to start the unit. If you don't take an insulated screwdriver and dishes l discharge the stored charge... It will pop the devil outa you SO, I'm with you. Who's gonna be first

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You already know, in F1 voltage that can kill you without protective equipment is around 1000 volts DC (?). Electric chairs use DC from 750-2,000 volts. And when the red light is flashing, safety personnel are not supposed to touch the car without safety gloves, etc.

And, on heat pumps, they have starter capacitors to give that jolt needed to start the unit. If you don't take an insulated screwdriver and dishes l discharge the stored charge... It will pop the devil outa you SO, I'm with you. Who's gonna be first

I know that the batteries in an F1 have coolant flowing through them to keep them cool and they are in-cased in Kevlar not carbon fiber due to the flammable properties of carbon fiber.

Where as a "super capacitor", what ever that means, may be able to handle the heat better? Therefor less complicated? Just from an electronics point of view, I think I would rather deal with a battery than a "super capacitor". I repair tube amps as a hobby, although they are easy to replace, I just don't trust them for some reason.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know that the batteries in an F1 have coolant flowing through them to keep them cool and they are in-cased in Kevlar not carbon fiber due to the flammable properties of carbon fiber.

Where as a "super capacitor", what ever that means, may be able to handle the heat better? Therefor less complicated? Just from an electronics point of view, I think I would rather deal with a battery than a "super capacitor". I repair tube amps as a hobby, although they are easy to replace, Ijust don't trust them for some reason.
I didn't know this... Wow. I learned something new. I'm with you on this. Thank you for educating me.

Things change. Use to be, before fuel cells and the switch from gasoline... You faced burning up. Look at Nikki lauda. Now you can burn up from the batteries.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I didn't know this... Wow. I learned something new. I'm with you on this. Thank you for educating me.

Things change. Use to be, before fuel cells and the switch from gasoline... You faced burning up. Look at Nikki lauda. Now you can burn up from the batteries.

We must be learning a lot from that alien technology at area 51.

advertisement