Fall 2022 Arizona Peace Trail cross country trek - Planning Thread!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hope this helps. I didn’t write this. It was an email from Mark West, a guide, to a friend of mine.

How, When & Where?
In light of this season to experience the most activity seen on the Arizona Peace Trail, comes many questions. Rightfully, this is a good thing as this this group and many other resources provide an excellent means of gaining insights on how to plan your Greatest Adventure off road.
I'm a firm believer in "keeping it simple". There's a lot of decisions and equal number of options. First, how will you start your AZPT? "How and "Where" are fairly close in the basics of forming your plan. Simply, deciding where you'll start from. Quartzsite, Salome and Kingman offer excellent staging. Quartzsite offers a specific AZPT staging area and the Stagecoach Motel is a great place to stay with eating within walking distance. Salome provides staging at Stanford Inn, having their own Bar/Cafe, with the Salome Restaurant about 3 miles west on Hwy 60. Kingman provides excellent staging at the Best Western Kings Inn, with AZPT discount on your stay there. Equally, two very good restaurants within walking distance. Years ago I staged in Bullhead, rented a space for a week at Right Place Storage, very reasonable and secure. Yuma and Lake Havasu provides a greater challenge for staging. The two motels in Fortuna don't allow staging, limited parking as it is. Regarding Lake Havasu, if you're intent on starting from there, I would recommend reaching out to the local UTV groups and our AZPT group members for recommendations.
Staging and where you start are obviously one in the same. Of the countless Peace Trails runs I've done, I've started from Salome, as I'm staged there for the duration of the season. However, with respect to a starting point, you have two of the Peace Trail longest runs either north or south. For the ease of getting acquainted to following your GPS/Maps, I personally feel the southern route is your best choice. If time is an issue, the Peace Trail offers an alternate route when you reach the farmlands, a little pavement saves a whole lot of time. Plus you can top off your fuel in Welton. Going north provides a little greater challenge along with time issues. From Salome via Tank Pass (new route on latest AZPT download Jan 21, you circle around towards Lake Alamo, stopping at the Wayside is always recommended, huge supporter of the Peace Trail, you can top off your fuel as well. From the Wayside there's a real time choice to make. There's a lot to see on the north side of the lake, mines and the most popular is Maggie's Wash. However, the Peace Trail goes north just before Maggie's, taking you on the "mountain trek". Many choose to make the turn to Wikieup. If not, and you stay on the mountain trial, you won't arrive in Kingman until well into the evening, late night. My personal choice and the choice given to groups I've lead, they've all preferred to stay in the desert, so we take our time around Lake Alamo, lunch in Maggie's and come out on Lake Alamo Rd., north on the improved road to the Gas Line trail just before Yucca into Kingman, without fail, we've always arrived in Kingman between 4:30 and 5:00. It purely comes down to a matter of choice.
Keep in mind, it's not the miles, it's the trail. Various sections of the Peace Trail presents equally variations in terrain or simply types of trails. My best two examples are between Yuma and Quartzsite, shorter miles, but trails from slow to moderate spends until you enter into Cibola or out of Cibola. Regardless if you do the Good Bad Ugly or not. This is one of the most time sensitive areas, there's a lot to see, time just slips away, even with earlier starts.
The second example is Kingman to Bullhead, even with taking my time, I can be in Bullhead in 5 hours, six if I stretch it out from the Panty Tree on the trail over to Silver Springs Rd. So, often I add in Chloride, great place to vista, Tuesdays\'s Restaurant is a must, perfect stop for breakfast, then a must see, Andy's Devin's rock paintings.
One last note, the trek through the Lake Havasu washes to or from Planet Ranch. This trek is a fairly long one, especially with stops at Woody's Cabin and the famous Founder's Cabin. I always shoot for around noon to leave Founder's Cabin, a little latter if heading into Lake Havasu. Please keep in mind, if you are on an weekend coming into or leaving Lake Havasu, the washes get a tremendous about of activity from the locals, please be cautious and safe.
Most important, rarely would any group size be able to see and do everything that is available to see and do on the AZPT in just one trip. Many return to do various sections again, explore side trails and other various points of interest. Additionally, the more adventurous types camp on the Peace Trail, extend the days, etc., this in itself opens up a lot of opportunities on the Peace Trail.
With regards to "when" to do the trail, every month is a good month. Less activity in October and late March into April. I personally believe the prime months are from November thru March. January poses some issues with the Best In the Desert off road races. This effects Butler Valley, to and from Planet Ranch. The BLM will be posting a map soon on the closer dates. However, for three weeks of the month the area is swamped with people. There's work arounds, but options won't be available to pursue until the map is published. About three years ago I used the Swansea turn off of Planet Ranch Rd., hooked up with the upper part of the Powerline Rd and picked up the Peace Trail, did a big "U" with some cow paths added in.
Finally, everyday on the Peace Trail is time sensitive, the downside of it so to speak - well, unless you are camping out or willing to running after dark. Our dusk to dawn narrows as we move towards winter. I recommend starting early, so to manage 9 hours of light. With my groups I average 2 or more hours of various stops. For those new to the trail, the stops will lengthen due to following your GPS. However, the one most crucial part of this is you don't know what lies ahead as the time element is always present. It is natural to want to stop and see as much as possible, but ahead on the trail is the constant time differential - how long will it take, it's not the miles - it's the trail.
Foremost best advise in planning your Peace Trail Adventure.
First, select a date. Make your motel reservations way in advance.
Download the latest Peace Trail GPS/KMZ files. This download is large, takes a while to load. May be an issue on a notebook using Wifi. Start with it on you home laptop, high speed. I use Pro Google Earth, the KMZ files. Study the trail at home, spend hours on it. Whether you use your onboard navigation, smart phones or tablets, link it in your mind. Gaia, onX is a big help. Avenza is outdated, but it doesn't get any simpler to follow. The updates can be viewed on Google Earth and followed on board with Gaia or your download to your onboard navigation if you have it.
Plan well in advance and don't hesitate to ask for help in your planning!
Happy Trails & Have A Whole Lot of Fun on Your Greatest Adventure Off Road!
Thanks for your help Randy, much appreciated….😊👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok, Richard has added the RSVP….
Everyone planning on doing this ride needs to sign in on it. We need to know how many rooms to reserve both ends of the ride in Kingman…..

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
My thoughts is that it might depend on which hotel can host us and will allow 8 days parking for two nights stay. If there are enough riders we might need to split between both hotels.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am going to Kingman Feb 24/25…… gonna try and check some stuff out…..
let’s try to get somewhere near a correct number registered as far as how many rooms I request…..
cant wait

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am going to Kingman Feb 24/25…… gonna try and check some stuff out…..
let’s try to get somewhere near a correct number registered as far as how many rooms I request…..
cant wait
I know @Buckydoo and @Monkeywrench63 are planning to go also. Haven't Rsvp yet

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I will be ordering my Arizona peace trail atlas tomorrow.

Reactions: Biteme
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My thoughts is that it might depend on which hotel can host us and will allow 8 days parking for two nights stay. If there are enough riders we might need to split between both hotels.
Right, that’s the point.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@PJon and @GoodStuff
@Gunsite Guy
If you guys are in, could you please RSVP???? 😎👍
We need a head count…😊

Last edited:
DHS_Officer

DHS_Officer

Jan 14, 2021
Orange County Cal
Ownership

1. Talon X
Without reading all 13 pages, can you summarize where we are at with this trip?
Are the dates still the same?
Have you determined a starting point?
How many are going?
Any details that are important at this time?
Sorry, It would just be a pain to read and follow 13 pages of posts.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Interest piqued—understand there are lots of logistics to work out. I’ll be watching for the final final details thread!
This is the final details thread. A lot of info has been posted since you last checked in….

If you’re still interested in joining us, please RSVP on page one…😎😊

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Without reading all 13 pages, can you summarize where we are at with this trip?
Are the dates still the same?
Have you determined a starting point?
How many are going?
Any details that are important at this time?
Sorry, It would just be a pain to read and follow 13 pages of posts.
Lol, ah you could do it in 30 minutes…..😂

Departure date is oct 17th from Kingman, exact location to be determined, return to Kingman on 26th October.
@Pilgrim will be headed to Kingman in a couple weeks to scout out accommodations and staging area where we’ll leave our trucks and trailers….

If you only read the last two pages you’ll get a lot of info…👍

And if you are going to join us, please RSVP on page one…

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Btw guys, Richard got the return date wrong in the RSVP, it is the 26th, not the 22nd. I have a message in to him, but he’s always busy. Could be a week before we see it changed….👍

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Looks like quite a bit of interest so far.

I have a ton of work to do to get ready.

Rob

Reactions: Biteme
Lymasl

Lymasl

Feb 7, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Big Red

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
With exact date to be determined after collaboration from interested parties, this ride will be approximately 8 days from start to finish.

It is by far the most complex cross country I’ve ever set upon and will require a whole lot of research, planning and input.

A thumbnail sketch of the route is as follows. The trail is originally the effort of the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) and then supported by the Arizona Peace Trail Committee as well as a host of off-road clubs. At about 700 miles in length, the trail traverses very divergent terrain and climates. Elevations from about a couple hundred feet near Yuma in the desert with Ocatillo and Suguarro cactus to heights near 8,000’ in the Kingman area with ponderosa pines….

The trail spans three Arizona counties in the southwest corner of Arizona.

The trail can begin and end wherever we’d like sense it is a loop, and we have the option of getting a motel every night, camping every night, or what I would consider most enjoyable, alternating between camping for a night or two and then getting a motel for a night.

Sense the trail does include using some city, county, and state roads, it’s likely that some level of street legal status for our SXS’s will be required…..

Information from Arizona forum members, whether or not you’re interested in participating will be very welcome.

Below is a map of the trail. Let’s start discussing and adding info to this and see what we can come up with….

View attachment 296547
There is a peace trail group on Facebook that has a lot of information and they sale a book with tons of detail also.

advertisement