Every Issue and resolution for the Talon - Coming from a someone with a rental fleet!

H

hondarider1194

Sep 5, 2021
Wv
Ownership

1. Talon R
I decided to make this thread to help answer and resolve the multiple questions and problems I see people faced with in here. To tell you a little about myself as to why I do have the answers - I own a company that is in the SXS industry and have a fleet of Honda Talons. Now for the fun!

Suspension/ Ride
Problem: It seems everyone stands at 50/50 in regards to the talons ride quality. When someone complains about it there is always some smart A that says man up or you shouldn’t be riding trails etc. YES! In stock form the Honda Talon is the roughest most uncomfortable jarring SXS on the market. The geometry and overall set up makes it for a brutal ride for anything less than 50mph. Most people cruise at around 25-30 on the trail - the slower you go the rougher the ride is. This machine is set up to be driven like a wild ape. Unfortunately there is not many places that you can run flat out on the trails and take advantage of the way it is set up from the factory.

Fix: There will be two things that will significantly improve the comfort and ride ability - 1. Run at least 30inch tires and keep them around 10psi 2. Send your shocks to shock therapy and have them re valved and install softer springs. Any then less than these two solutions will not give you the result you are looking for.

Suspension/Control
Problem: I hate to admit this because I am a Honda Fan boy personally but there are quite a few cheaply build components on this machine. If you haven’t experienced this issue already than you either have not noticed or drive on pavement… the bushings in the a arms and control arms are absolute JUNK and have failed on all of our machines with in 1000-1500 miles. These bushings must be replaced with Super Atvs upgraded bushings or at-least something of equivalent quality. Next would be the ball joints - these are trash as well! They are fairly cheap to replace the oem ones however once ours fail we upgrade them to super atv so they last longer and can be rebuilt.

Steering/Control
Problem: Hard spots in steering, turns hard one way - soft another, excessive slop and play within 1k miles. With out going into detail as of why these problems occur - I will just say that the stock box is junk

Fix: You need to replace this unit with an upgraded after market steering box or if you enjoy taking your machine to the shop and leaving it for weeks at a time for them to replace it until your warranty expires .. that would be fine as well LOL the best one we have found is Jsport’s billet steering box. Buy it. Install it. And BAM no more steering issues period.

Diff/Seal
Problem: Leaky Axle seals
Fix: Deal with it. It’s part of owning a Talon. Plus it gives you something to do when your bored

Electrical
Problem: i4wd light is on
Fix: Jump the wire under the seat for the 4wd. This will reset it and we have never had it come back on which is all that your dealer is going to do. If it does come back on assuming you did it correctly - then there is probably a more serious issue. Google it to find the wire I am referring to.

Throttle
Problem: Jumpy Throttle - very rough and jerky while you are riding the trails.
Fix: Between having a dual clutch trans and the quickest throttle response/activation programmed it can be a rough ride. The only solution to this is to get some sort of foot rest to help steady your foot. There is no way to adjust the machine only the operator.

Filter:
Problem: Dirty air filter with in a couple rides
Fix: unfortunately they put the air intake in the worst place possible. Only fix is re route or particle air separator

Misc:
-Check the oil after machine has been warmed up at idle with 2 bars showing on temp gauge - then wait for 3-5 minutes after shutting off to check level. Do not screw in dip stick to check it

-Make sure gear selector is in L and take off SLOWLY to make sure it is engaged. Who uses low any way 🙄 silly mud boggers

-Yes stock a arms and tie rods are weak - just replace them when they break

-Noisy trans? Noisy Valves? Clunky Trans?
Relaxxxxxx everything is totally fine
And no the dealer won’t adjust or check your valves for its first service LOL they are fine

-Some machines have slipped through the cracks on their first service until 1000 miles so yes if you have 101 miles you will be fine. First service is in there for additional revenue for dealer and to verify and prevent future issues of something was not assembled correctly. It’s to improve profit - prevent loss - and to avoid problems and increase customer satisfaction. It is strictly a business move. Your machine is fine to run for a LONGGG time until your “first” service

Im sure I am forgetting some other stuff - just ask away and I will respond!

We have Can am, Kawasaki, Polaris, Honda, Yamaha - they all have there issues. Expect KRX for some Damn reason they just don’t break… Atleast nothing out of the normal. And BELIEVE me I hate to admit that

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I decided to make this thread to help answer and resolve the multiple questions and problems I see people faced with in here. To tell you a little about myself as to why I do have the answers - I own a company that is in the SXS industry and have a fleet of Honda Talons. Now for the fun!

Suspension/ Ride
Problem: It seems everyone stands at 50/50 in regards to the talons ride quality. When someone complains about it there is always some smart A that says man up or you shouldn’t be riding trails etc. YES! In stock form the Honda Talon is the roughest most uncomfortable jarring SXS on the market. The geometry and overall set up makes it for a brutal ride for anything less than 50mph. Most people cruise at around 25-30 on the trail - the slower you go the rougher the ride is. This machine is set up to be driven like a wild ape. Unfortunately there is not many places that you can run flat out on the trails and take advantage of the way it is set up from the factory.

Fix: There will be two things that will significantly improve the comfort and ride ability - 1. Run at least 30inch tires and keep them around 10psi 2. Send your shocks to shock therapy and have them re valved and install softer springs. Any then less than these two solutions will not give you the result you are looking for.

Suspension/Control
Problem: I hate to admit this because I am a Honda Fan boy personally but there are quite a few cheaply build components on this machine. If you haven’t experienced this issue already than you either have not noticed or drive on pavement… the bushings in the a arms and control arms are absolute JUNK and have failed on all of our machines with in 1000-1500 miles. These bushings must be replaced with Super Atvs upgraded bushings or at-least something of equivalent quality. Next would be the ball joints - these are trash as well! They are fairly cheap to replace the oem ones however once ours fail we upgrade them to super atv so they last longer and can be rebuilt.

Steering/Control
Problem: Hard spots in steering, turns hard one way - soft another, excessive slop and play within 1k miles. With out going into detail as of why these problems occur - I will just say that the stock box is junk

Fix: You need to replace this unit with an upgraded after market steering box or if you enjoy taking your machine to the shop and leaving it for weeks at a time for them to replace it until your warranty expires .. that would be fine as well LOL the best one we have found is Jsport’s billet steering box. Buy it. Install it. And BAM no more steering issues period.

Diff/Seal
Fix: Deal with it. It’s part of owning a Talon. Plus it gives you something to do when your bored

Electrical
Fix: Jump the wire under the seat for the 4wd. This will reset it and we have never had it come back on which is all that your dealer is going to do. If it does come back on assuming you did it correctly - then there is probably a more serious issue. Google it to find the wire I am referring to.

Throttle
Fix: Between having a dual clutch trans and the quickest throttle response/activation programmed it can be a rough ride. The only solution to this is to get some sort of foot rest to help steady your foot. There is no way to adjust the machine only the operator.

Filter:
Fix: unfortunately they put the air intake in the worst place possible. Only fix is re route or particle air separator

Misc:
-Check the oil after machine has been warmed up at idle with 2 bars showing on temp gauge - then wait for 3-5 minutes after shutting off to check level. Do not screw in dip stick to check it

-Make sure gear selector is in L and take off SLOWLY to make sure it is engaged. Who uses low any way 🙄 silly mud boggers

And no the dealer won’t adjust or check your valves for its first service LOL they are fine

-Some machines have slipped through the cracks on their first service until 1000 miles so yes if you have 101 miles you will be fine. First service is in there for additional revenue for dealer and to verify and prevent future issues of something was not assembled correctly. It’s to improve profit - prevent loss - and to avoid problems and increase customer satisfaction. It is strictly a business move. Your machine is fine to run for a LONGGG time until your “first” service

We have Can am, Kawasaki, Polaris, Honda, Yamaha - they all have there issues. Expect KRX for some Damn reason they just don’t break… Atleast nothing out of the normal. And BELIEVE me I hate to admit that
The KRX’s aren’t as prone to breaking but I know of two that have broken front drive shafts already. They are built to be stout but aren’t unbreakable.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Suspension/ Ride

Suspension/Control

Steering/Control

Diff/Seal

Electrical

Throttle

Filter:

Misc:

Wow! You should write a novel. Wait…you did 🤣
Good write up and info. Let me be the first to Welcome you to the club from Your Greater Metropolitan of 200 population of Stockbridge Michigan! Lol
so u own a rental place! We have an unwritten gospel around here lol…..
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! ;)👍

H

hondarider1194

Sep 5, 2021
Wv
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wow! You should write a novel. Wait…you did 🤣
Good write up and info. Let me be the first to Welcome you to the club from Your Greater Metropolitan of 200 population of Stockbridge Michigan! Lol
so u own a rental place! We have an unwritten gospel around here lol…..
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! ;)👍
It actually didn’t happen - I made it all up 😱