P1000 Enclosed Trailer

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bought a new Cooper 6 x 12 utility trailer when I bought the 1000. Very nice trailer for $1300.

Haven't even used it once and doubt I will use much. Just made sense that if I ever wanted to transport it I would need a way to do it!

But recently, for my needs, I have been thinking an enclosed trailer would be much better for all-around use. Hauling hay and pine straw or moving things I just like the concept of an enclosed trailer much better.

Worried about the height though. I see many pictures of a Polaris being carried around in a standard enclose trailer I was just curious if anybody out there is using one for that purpose?

I know when the 1000 is parked next to my wife's Kia Soul, which in its own regard is a pretty boxy and tall vehicle as vehicles go, the 1000 towers next to it and is higher by good foot or so!

So does anyone know if the 1000 is taller then the other comparable full-size UTVs like the Polaris I see sitting inside of them?

And does anyone use an enclosed trailer right now and do you have any problems fitting it inside?

I'm guessing I see many more pictures of a Polaris on a trailer because it's a must needed item as it's transported back-and-forth to the repair shop :)

Thanks!

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
When I got my enclosed trailer the sales guy asked if I wanted the 'extra 6" roof'.
Shure why not, it felt more roomy standing in it.
At the time I was hauling ATVs and / or an Odyssey (off road buggy, not the minivan).

P1k-5 fit in the door just fine, kind of a pleasant surprise.
The door is 80" and the stock P1000 fits just fine.

Down side is the extra height adds to the parachute effect when towing.
My 17' enclosed gets the same mpg that my 26' toy hauler gets even though it is 2500# lighter.
Also when towing with the Honda Pilot (the SUV/minivan thing not the cool mini buggy) it tops out at 65 mph.
Huge parachute effect.

I would recommend looking for:
- duck tail entry for a larger door / less height
- 80" door for stock P1k, more if you are in to big tires and a lift
- 7' width to reduce the parachute effect - mine is 8.5' wide so I could fit ATVs side by side
- long tongue hitch - you may not find this, it's a new trend in Australia and Europe, the tongue has a longer lever arm and is less susceptible to weight distribution
(I don't have this and have needed to stop and move vehicles around on occasion when towing with the Pilot)
- Dexter E-Z lube axles, they have a grease fitting at the end, you pump in grease and it flows threw the bearings. Super easy maintenance.

That's my 2 yen worth.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wow! Wonderful answer, in fact the king of all answers :)

Thank you sir I got what I needed to know plus more :)

Pioneer_Jake

Pioneer_Jake

Aug 29, 2016
Lima Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I got my enclosed trailer the sales guy asked if I wanted the 'extra 6" roof'.
At the time I was hauling ATVs and / or an Odyssey (off road buggy, not the minivan).

My 17' enclosed gets the same mpg that my 26' toy hauler gets even though it is 2500# lighter.
Also when towing with the Honda Pilot (the SUV/minivan thing not the cool mini buggy) it tops out at 65 mph.
Huge parachute effect.

- 7' width to reduce the parachute effect - mine is 8.5' wide so I could fit ATVs side by side
- long tongue hitch - you may not find this, it's a new trend in Australia and Europe, the tongue has a longer lever arm and is less susceptible to weight distribution
(I don't have this and have needed to stop and move vehicles around on occasion when towing with the Pilot)
- Dexter E-Z lube axles, they have a grease fitting at the end, you pump in grease and it flows threw the bearings. Super easy maintenance.

That's my 2 yen worth.
Lee is the door oversized as well or just the roof? I'm looking at borrowing a friends standard height enclosed trailer for a hunting trip coming up and we are curious if the pioneer will fit without deflating the tires.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@Pioneer_Jake

On mine the door is taller as well.
Door opening measures 80" tall.
However, your mileage may very (as they say).

My toy hauler has a fixed bunk at the door.
Old rzr needed to haven the tires let down.
My Odyssey just fit under, ATVs where no problem if I remembered to duck.

Reactions: Pioneer_Jake
G

grizzly660fan

Jul 17, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Huge parachute effect.

That's my 2 yen worth.

I differ on the 7 foot width idea and prefer the 8.5 width. easier to open a door on the sxs and get out once you drive it into the trailer. I tow with a diesel truck so the parachute affect discussed isn't as noticeable. So if you are pulling with a full size truck maybe consider the extra width?

I have a 8.5 x 16 foot enclosed and love it. I also stuff two dirt bikes inside the trailer with our Pioneer 1000-5 and it works out really well. The trailer doubles as a garage when not in use.