P1000 Elka Rear shocks - stage 3 or stage 4

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to upgrade shocks, will probably go with the stage 3 up front but given rear passenger location I am debating going with the Stage 4 on the back so I can slow down that rebound on the back to give the passengers in the back a smoother ride. Don't really ride fast enough that I am worried about the suspension packing up, but when riding over water bars the back seat passengers sure go for a ride when that suspension rebounds.

So, question for you guys running Elka stage 3 rear shocks, how is the rebound?

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
R

rickoshea

Looking to upgrade shocks, will probably go with the stage 3 up front but given rear passenger location I am debating going with the Stage 4 on the back so I can slow down that rebound on the back to give the passengers in the back a smoother ride. Don't really ride fast enough that I am worried about the suspension packing up, but when riding over water bars the back seat passengers sure go for a ride when that suspension rebounds.

So, question for you guys running Elka stage 3 rear shocks, how is the rebound?
i'm a very aggressive driver and also use mine for working the property and they work fine for me.that being said,if i had to do it over i'd go stage 4 front and rear.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i'm a very aggressive driver and also use mine for working the property and they work fine for me.that being said,if i had to do it over i'd go stage 4 front and rear.
What do you think you would pick up with the stage 4 that you are missing with a Stage 3?

Did a little more digging around and found out their stage 2 also has rebound so debating if I really need the piggyback res. I don't ride hard for extended periods of time so not too worried about heat buildup. Would end up giving up the compression damping if I went that route though.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
R

rickoshea

What do you think you would pick up with the stage 4 that you are missing with a Stage 3?

Did a little more digging around and found out their stage 2 also has rebound so debating if I really need the piggyback res. I don't ride hard for extended periods of time so not too worried about heat buildup. Would end up giving up the compression damping if I went that route though.
i would benefit more with rebound adjustment for my style of riding.i wanted the Talon but needed the pioneer,so i treat it like a Talon when it's not doing work. stage 3 is a very good shock for the machine and works extremely well,but a stage 4 is a step above in adjustability.the areas i ride in have vastly different terrain changes.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FWIW I am very happy with the S3 Elkas.
I have about 700 miles on mine, nearly all on my lease in OK. We have very rocky and bumpy roads and a lot of rocky hill climbs. Im sure the S4s or S5s would be better, but I couldnt part with the extra $$.
When you order make sure you consider how you load your SXS. I had to order a stiffer set of springs for the rear in mine after the initial purchase.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
FWIW I am very happy with the S3 Elkas.
I have about 700 miles on mine, nearly all on my lease in OK. We have very rocky and bumpy roads and a lot of rocky hill climbs. Im sure the S4s or S5s would be better, but I couldnt part with the extra $$.
When you order make sure you consider how you load your SXS. I had to order a stiffer set of springs for the rear in mine after the initial purchase.
What @joelyl said, they build these shocks specifically for the information you provide them, be honest. You aren't going to be flying down the trails with 5 people. I've got the 5's, way over over kill. The 3's will just fine and save a bunch of money!

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, I guess last question, any contact info or HondaSxS.com hookup at Elka?

Reactions: Lady01
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure if they still do it, but here is the post with discount info

aleaddict

aleaddict

Lifetime Member
Jan 17, 2021
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@bldmtnrider I ordered through iShock. They are the largest (and possibly only) US distributor.

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Lifetime Member
Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What @joelyl said, they build these shocks specifically for the information you provide them, be honest. You aren't going to be flying down the trails with 5 people. I've got the 5's, way over over kill. The 3's will just fine and save a bunch of money!
Speaking of Pesos, does anyone have sources to beat the $2700 for a full set of stage 3’s? Are they worth the extra $700 over the Fox QS3’s

advertisement