P1000 Electrical Novice...Need Help

kjw83

kjw83

Dec 2, 2017
Madisonville KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im looking to add a switch panel on my P1k5 like a lot of you have done but I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff....basically I just want a rocker switch for a winch I’ll be adding, a rocker switch to power a voltmeter, and another rocker switch for a small light bar I plan to add in the future. Do all of the switches need an inline fuse? then run to the battery? Or do I need a fuse box? Like I said I’m pretty ignorant at this stuff but would rather figure it out on my own than pay a dealer an ungodly amount of $$$$ for them to do it.....thanks for any help.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Im looking to add a switch panel on my P1k5 like a lot of you have done but I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff....basically I just want a rocker switch for a winch I’ll be adding, a rocker switch to power a voltmeter, and another rocker switch for a small light bar I plan to add in the future. Do all of the switches need an inline fuse? then run to the battery? Or do I need a fuse box? Like I said I’m pretty ignorant at this stuff but would rather figure it out on my own than pay a dealer an ungodly amount of $$$$ for them to do it.....thanks for any help.
If you are planning to use a winch, it would probably be a good idea to run a second battery, with a battery isolater to just use the second battery for the winch. It should have its own rocker switch. As far as the switch pannel, you can find all you need on amzon.I would use a seperate fuse block powered by the second battery, then run a wire from the fuse block to each switch for each circuit/device you are wireing up. this makes a much easier job. If you are new to this site there are several threads on the issues. The main reason of the second battery is the winch draws a lot of power, this can cause a problem with the clutches not engaging causing slippage when using the winch. My dealer recommended a second battery if using a winch. I use the second battery and b fuse block as I described no issues. Hope that helps.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What I used was a 3 switch panel with a USB, and a 12v cig lighter, so I can charge a phone, I also installed a radio that I hooked to USB to play music. I took out the warning label in dash, and made a panel. I personally don't think a volt meter is necessary, especially if running off only the second battery. I'll post a pic later.

kjw83

kjw83

Dec 2, 2017
Madisonville KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are planning to use a winch, it would probably be a good idea to run a second battery, with a battery isolater to just use the second battery for the winch. It should have its own rocker switch. As far as the switch pannel, you can find all you need on amzon.I would use a seperate fuse block powered by the second battery, then run a wire from the fuse block to each switch for each circuit/device you are wireing up. this makes a much easier job. If you are new to this site there are several threads on the issues. The main reason of the second battery is the winch draws a lot of power, this can cause a problem with the clutches not engaging causing slippage when using the winch. My dealer recommended a second battery if using a winch. I use the second battery and b fuse block as I described no issues. Hope that helps.

Thank you for the help...I forget to mention that I will be adding an extra battery to power all of the accessories I’m adding Including the winch.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
20180204 184814
20180204 184941
20180204 184814