P1000 Effective cleaning of your rig???

kaspar139

kaspar139

May 10, 2021
Conroe, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi all, very new to the forum. I just bought a "like new" 2020 1000-3 Deluxe (pictured below, based on the guidance of no pictures means it didn't happen). The previous owner, while a nice guy, didn't really clean this thing. Surface area cleaning is pretty obvious, but I am hesitant to get any water under the hood where there is also plenty of stuff that is a pain in the butt to try and manually wipe out.

So, the question, what do y'all do to clean your rigs? Especially in the areas where electronics might be impacted?!?!

Pioneer1000

Thanks for any advice/help! Searching the forums didn't yield anything really helpful.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Congratulations. I like white but had to settle for red.

Your buggy looks clean to me but, of course, I can't see under the hood or dump bed. I'm not brave enough to spray water under the front cover of my buggy. Too many electrical components and electrical connections. Sometimes you can get away with wetting electronics but it may haunt you later when corrosion slowly develops and causes endless grief.

I think it's relatively safe to spray low pressure water on the covers and exposed engine parts at the rear and even wash with a soft bristle brush and soap if you use a gentle spray afterward to wash away the soap. I wouldn't point the water up under the panels.

Many of the members here "play in the mud" with their buggies including fording shallow creeks. Once in awhile a member submerges his buggy in a creek but that's another story and not recommended.

Your photo suggests you're a young man. Did you earn the money and buy the Honda Pioneer yourself? That's a personal question not meant to be insulting but you don't have to answer if you choose not to.

Welcome to the club. You did the right thing by starting with a good photo. Well done. The more you participate the more you'll get back from the club.

kaspar139

kaspar139

May 10, 2021
Conroe, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Congratulations. I like white but had to settle for red.

Your buggy looks clean to me but, of course, I can't see under the hood or dump bed. I'm not brave enough to spray water under the front cover of my buggy. Too many electrical components and electrical connections. Sometimes you can get away with wetting electronics but it may haunt you later when corrosion slowly develops and causes endless grief.

I think it's relatively safe to spray low pressure water on the covers and exposed engine parts at the rear and even wash with a soft bristle brush and soap if you use a gentle spray afterward to wash away the soap. I wouldn't point the water up under the panels.

Many of the members here "play in the mud" with their buggies including fording shallow creeks. Once in awhile a member submerges his buggy in a creek but that's another story and not recommended.

Your photo suggests you're a young man. Did you earn the money and buy the Honda Pioneer yourself? That's a personal question not meant to be insulting but you don't have to answer if you choose not to.

Welcome to the club. You did the right thing by starting with a good photo. Well done. The more you participate the more you'll get back from the club.
Haha, that’s my 13 year old son! I feel like a young man most of the time!

Appreciate the advice on the cleaning approach. I bought this to replace my ATV, as toting multiple folks around is not fun or advisable on a 4wheeler. 😀

Anyway, I plan to use it primarily for hunting and occasional joy riding. No mud bogging here!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I normally hit mine with a pressure washer to knock the heavy crud off and then hand wash and rinse with a garden hose. The occasional rain shower helps sometimes as well.

Micah_Deshotel

Micah_Deshotel

May 30, 2019
Egan, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
if your looking to revitalize plastics I can verify the 50/50 mix of Boiled Linseed oil, and Paint Thinner works wonders. make sure the plastics are color through and through, not applied vinyl. it also makes faded black color look like new.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Pressure washer everywhere. ( yes literally everywhere)

Engine, interior, under the hood, skid plates, inside fenders, dash, under seats, roof, winch, battery box, etc, etc…….

Just like any atv.

I use hot water because it’s so nice and natural gas is cheap. (On demand combi boiler)

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use a pressure washer on everything except the dash and under the hood. Not a mudder here but living in an area that gets almost 40" of rain a year and has clay soils, for some reason the Pioneers seem to collect mud. At least once a year, I tke the skid plate off and go after the mud collected under there.
After buying a roof, front and rear windshield and a winch, the most important purchase is a pressure washer.

advertisement
Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Low pressure nothing heavy 1000-1500 at 2-3 gpm max imo let it dry
Lucas oil makes some stuff called slick mist I think will look wen i get home but it will shine it up keep the dirt from cakin up as much theres also some stuff called pig spit its really good as well
Hope this helps

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
I second the lucas oil slick mist. I use meguiars foaming wheel and tire cleaner in the purple bottle. Spray whole machine then pressure wash. Then once dry use the slick mist. It will sure shine one up with both of these products!

With both of these you can just watch the mud slide off your machine. If you keep them on there it makes cleaning a breeze... everytime!

I have also found that I can delude the hot rims and get 3-4 washes out of a single bottle. It works just as good if not better deluded.

H

HondaSXS1343

Aug 15, 2020
US
kaspar139

kaspar139

May 10, 2021
Conroe, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for everyone's advice. I spent several hours working and cleaning on the rig (notably under the hood), and have made dramatic progress to remove the mud from previous owner.

Definitely need a round 2 on the undercarriage. I took off the skid plate (which is a pain in the butt without getting it up on jacks). But, it definitely needs more attention to get residual Texas red clay style mud off. That stuff continues to rust your metal the longer it sits.

Either way, happy with the outcome. I had some Slick cleaning products on hand, so that is what I used.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello.
I hit it with a broad spray to soften dirt and mud, then work up to more of a jet nozzle from the garden hose. A pressure washer works well but you have to be careful that you don't wind up sand blasting the exterior and leaving scratches. Mud underneath, blast away. First thing is not to shoot into the spark arrestor. Most of the other electronics seem fine getting wet.
My last clean up on the outside is bike polish. It keeps the plastics dark, kinda like Armor All, and works well on paint and decals.
Another thing, if you have a Honda OEM roof on a P1K5, at least a gallon of water will hide on top until you brake hard.

Still, if it's clean people will think you're no fun.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for everyone's advice. I spent several hours working and cleaning on the rig (notably under the hood), and have made dramatic progress to remove the mud...

Heh, I remember doing this when I got my Pioneer.

A year later, I blow off the mud with the power washer, give the windshield a nice 3-cloth wipedown, and maybe wipe the plastics or dash if I feel like it.

Then it's back out to get dirty all over again.

Ever heard of Sisyphus? :)

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
How to clean my SxS?............... I find the nearest watering hole and run the phuck in and out of it 😂😂😂 seems rondo the trick for the amount of time it stays clean(ish)

I know you been here for a few months already but, Welcome to the club 👍

Keeping a sxs squeaky clean either means you don't use it or................you have wheeeeeyyyyy to much time to kill (so you should be out riding!!!)

#NTC

advertisement