Edit: HELP! First trip transmission problem.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Sounds like a logical approach, but you don't have a thermostat in inventory? That is a little weak.

H

HondaTech

So dealer removed and reattached all grounds and said the transmission is shifting through all gears in automatic. But when they got to 50mph the water temp started rising and once back to the shop it started spitting coolant again. Same thing when it overheated for me was while it was running. Dealer said they previously let it idle for 3 hours and temp never got above normal so it's overheating while moving. They claim no air in the system and the fan is turning in the right direction. They ordered a new thermostat and said if that doesn't work next would be water pump. Thoughts from any techs on here?

Mske sure its not overfilled with oil. We had a 1000 with 13qts of oil in. The crankshaft was sloshing the oil around and overheated the engine.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Ive never replaced a Honda powersports thermostat that was bad. You don't stock parts that dont sell.
Understood, well if the the thermostat is the problem, I suggest putting one on the shelf ;)

Reactions: Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mske sure its not overfilled with oil. We had a 1000 with 13qts of oil in. The crankshaft was sloshing the oil around and overheated the engine.
I literally just had this problem with mine. I add extra oil to the system to account for the aftermarket oil cooler and lines I ran on my car. Last time I changed the oil I put to much in and it started running hot at practice. Drained the excess out and it's all good again.

H

HondaTech

I literally just had this problem with mine. I add extra oil to the system to account for the aftermarket oil cooler and lines I ran on my car. Last time I changed the oil I put to much in and it started running hot at practice. Drained the excess out and it's all good again.

We were trying to figure the same for our setup as well. Especially the way ours is set up above the engine, it drains back quite quickly and might give a false reading on the dipstick.

Speaking of which, do you monitor oil temperature? The Honda and PV3 setups only show voltage. We have a sensor to actually display temperature but we havent hooked it up yet.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
We were trying to figure the same for our setup as well. Especially the way ours is set up above the engine, it drains back quite quickly and might give a false reading on the dipstick.

Speaking of which, do you monitor oil temperature? The Honda and PV3 setups only show voltage. We have a sensor to actually display temperature but we havent hooked it up yet.
Mine used to show actual oil temp and I kept it on the main screen. It never read correctly until the oil got warm but it definitely read oil temp on my PV3. When I installed that new tune the other day that box that previously had my oil temp in it now just says channel 2 and I no longer have an oil temp selection in my pick of gauges. I think its completely turned off in the ecu so it doesn't effect the engine/DCT tuning like it does stock.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
That seems like a recipe for disaster... Oil temp turned off...

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
That seems like a recipe for disaster... Oil temp turned off...
What car has ever had an oil temp gauge and what would you do even if it said it's hot? As long as the coolant temp and oil pressure is good oil temp is irrelevant.

I run a big liquid to liquid oil cooler on my car and oil temp is of no concern anyway.

Reactions: Farmer
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
What car has ever had an oil temp gauge and what would you do even if it said it's hot? As long as the coolant temp and oil pressure is good oil temp is irrelevant.

I run a big liquid to liquid oil cooler on my car and oil temp is of no concern anyway.

Uhhh... Every track car i've ever owned? My current track car, a 2021 Mustag GT PP1 will overheat the oil BADLY, yet coolant temp is perfectly fine. What do I do when when it says it's too hot? Well, pull in to the pits so I don't blow a $15,000 motor up?

advertisement
H

HondaTech

Uhhh... Every track car i've ever owned? My current track car, a 2021 Mustag GT PP1 will overheat the oil BADLY, yet coolant temp is perfectly fine. What do I do when when it says it's too hot? Well, pull in to the pits so I don't blow a $15,000 motor up?
Honda's stock tune has timing pulled out over 240 degrees of oil temperature to keep from burning the clutch.

The PV3 will only show a voltage reading, as does the oem Honda diagnostic software. I dont think you'd ever reach it during normal use, but we arent normal use. We have a sensor in the oil cooler adapter, but my GM decided not to hook it up.

I would assume that temperature is also what Honda uses to illuminate the clutch temperature light in the Talon. There is no other sensor in the engine that a Pioneer doesnt have as well and the Pioneers dont have clutch temp lights. I assume their using the EOT sensor in tje valve body cover.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
What??? You don't run oil coolers on your track cars with 15k engines??? I have been involved in alot of different forms of racing and have never heard of anyone pulling into the pits in the middle of a race because their oil temp got too hot. You might want to find a different engine guy if that's the case because his oil control program is lacking. 🤣

I'm also not running a race engine, It's 100% stock with a tune and an HMF full exhaust. If that b**** overheats the oil stock, Honda screwed up when designing the oil control system and no amount of coolers or sensors are going to fix it.

Reactions: jmneill
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
What??? You don't run oil coolers on your track cars with 15k engines??? I have been involved in alot of different forms of racing and have never heard of anyone pulling into the pits in the middle of a race because their oil temp got too hot. You might want to find a different engine guy if that's the case because his oil control program is lacking. 🤣

I'm also not running a race engine, It's 100% stock with a tune and an HMF full exhaust. If that b**** overheats the oil stock, Honda screwed up when designing the oil control system and no amount of coolers or sensors are going to fix it.

I can't afford to blow up engine after engine, so yes, if the oil temp gets to high I pull in no matter what.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer said they previously let it idle for 3 hours and temp never got above normal so it's overheating while moving. They claim no air in the system and the fan is turning in the right direction.

I wonder if they elevated the front end when they ran it for air bubbles. I was reading a Talon thread where one of the Colorado guys had a specific procedure for burping problematic machines, and I'm pretty sure it had to have the front end up...

Reactions: Farmer
Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Yea made it there about 10 minutes before close and dropped it off. They're closed on Monday so I'll be on pins and needles until I get a call to tell me what they found.
Our local dealer is closed on Mondays also. Is that a powersports thing?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Our local dealer is closed on Mondays also. Is that a powersports thing?
Many around here are closed Mondays.

trade off on being open Saturday.

Reactions: Hometeam
C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Another update, they put in a new thermostat and it's still overheating while in motion but now the not shifting past 3rd issue is back. WTH!!

• Angry
Reactions: TripleB and Jerryg
H

HondaTech

Another update, they put in a new thermostat and it's still overheating while in motion but now the not shifting past 3rd issue is back. WTH!!

Check the oil level, if its overfull they will overheat when driving them but not at idle.

C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
UPDATE: SHE'S HOME!!! After reading this forum I told my dealer to check the grounds early on, their response "It wouldn't be a grounding issue because your problems are consistent". Honda finally tells them to remove and reattach the grounds and shifting problem solved but still overheating. I told them if it's overheating to check the oil level "We did, your oil is fine". Honda finally tells them to check the oil and sure enough it had too much. Got her back Friday evening and did about 40 trouble free miles Saturday!! I love this thing!!

advertisement